U.S. Marine to real estate investor.

U.S. Marine to real estate investor.

Flipper/Rehabber · Marion, IL · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 9 votes

Hello my name is Austin, I recently got out of the Marine Corps less than a year ago and transitioning back into society. Currently I work as a industrial painter while my wife is going through the process of joining the Navy here in southern Illinois I have about 60k I've saved I'm 24 and have been looking into getting started in real estate investing. I have a basic understanding of real estate investing and real estate strategy looking for a possible mentor or just some good advice. My current plan is to continue saving money till the point my wife is stationed and find a multi-family home in the area to house hack, but I will be in southern Illinois for the next 6 months to a year curious if I should possibly get a rental now and take action or just want would be the best move for success starting out in real estate investing any advice is great appreciated and thank you!

1Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Anson YoungBusiness Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 726 votes
6y

Austin, Welcome!!  You should absolutely be taking action now, doing anything you can to hone your skills while you wait to make your next move.  Whether is analyzing deals, walking properties, getting ideas on repair costs, networking, reading, listening to podcasts...  @Craig Curelop's book on house hacking is awesome, if thats going to be your starting point!  

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Anson YoungBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 726 votes
    6y

    Austin, Welcome!!  You should absolutely be taking action now, doing anything you can to hone your skills while you wait to make your next move.  Whether is analyzing deals, walking properties, getting ideas on repair costs, networking, reading, listening to podcasts...  @Craig Curelop's book on house hacking is awesome, if thats going to be your starting point!  

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 223 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    @Austin Timothy van meadows

    Good for you Austin! Thank you for your service.

    I’d start by the reading all the BP books and listening to the podcasts.

    Best of luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Austin Timothy van meadows:

    Hello my name is Austin, I recently got out of the Marine Corps less than a year ago and transitioning back into society.

    Welcome to the 1st Civ Div brother Austin.  There are a few of us on here. 

    Good on you saving so much while active. Anything you buy should be with the possibility of moving in mind of course.  Maybe househack a nice b class plex you could turn over to management if needed.

    Semper Fi

  • Specialist · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 368 posts · 102 votes
    6y

    @Austin Timothy van meadows Thank you for your service, I know transitioning can be tough and it's not the fastest process in the world. Do you remember if you ever invested in your TSP or any sort of saving plan while in the military? This may be an additional source of funds for you to take advantage of that the military owes you. You should also start looking more into tertiary markets like the ones many of us were stationed in across America, if you remember on-base housing, its not the best and neither is the off base housing, so you may want to consider providing that better choice for your fellow Marines.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.