Ok, let me say I'm really asking because I'm bored today with sheltering in place! But I've been for some reason seeing the phrase "heavy hitters" popping up more than I remember on BP, referring to a particular group forum contributors.
So what do you think makes someone a heavy hitter here? Is it just the number of posts and likes a person gets? Is it whether they've appeared on the podcast or spoken at an event? Is it their wisdom or an assumption about their net worth? There are definitely investors on BP who have a larger sphere of influence and therefore probably receive both the outsized praise (and criticisms) that comes with real estate forum fame. Is it all well-deserved??
If you're one of those folks, what do you think about about being niche-internet-famous?! (Feel free to tag people you want to hear answer that question!).
Thanks for those that mentioned me. There has been a few points where I came to understand the power of the BP website into getting your name out there. The first time I was trading in my cell phone at the tmobile store, and the clerk kept looking at me, and my name on the computer while we were talking...and he finally asked me, are you Russell Brazil from Biggerpockets. Now I was use to people sort of knowing who I was at real estate events, but not in sort of random environments like the cell phone store. The next time was at a conference, and I just sort of ended up in the hallway with about 4 or 5 people and one of them was the keynote speaker, and about 10 minutes he was like your Russell Brazil from BP. So I was like wow, I cant believe this hugely famous person in our industry knew who I was.
This website and its members however have contributed immensely to my business, helped me to build my wealth, and I in turn contribute back into this site. It is for me a hugely symbiotic relationship. Many of my real life closest friends are people who I have met through this site. There are 22 BP moderators, (and a few past moderators) and getting the chance to be a part of that group has given me access to some of the best real estate minds in the country.
Im a huge believe that people should do what they love for a living. My 3 largest passions are real estate, investing, and personal finance. As a real estate agent and investor, I get to live my dream, and luckily my passions happen to be in fields that produce a high income. What some may, or may not know is that the largest percentage of my time spent working in my profession, is contributing to the BP forums. For me, it hasnt been the podcast, nor blogging on the site that return to me anything either financially or in satisfaction.....but posting in the forums returns both the satisfaction to share my passions and help educate others, but it also has had the largest financial return for me of anything in my business. These forums are perhaps the key reason Ive been able to become a top 1% real estate agent. (Though at the very bottom of that 1% percentile) I will actually be speaking at BPCon this October, if it ever happens on the subject of how vendors (agents, lenders, inspectors etc) can use the site to grow their business.
I do admit though, I like the votes, just like people like the likes and hearts on other social media sites. I am the 2nd biggest vote getter on the site behind @Jay Hinrichs.
Still reading through this thread but I wish everyone here could read @Karl B.'s post before EVER POSTING A NEW THREAD!
So first off thanks for starting this @Robert C.. I usually dread these threads with tons of responses. Just in quick reply @Jerryll Noorden because I think you raise a good point, I do think there's something to people posting a question that's been posted a million times versus someone who posts something novel. It's not that it's a dumb question, but on a site devoted to building your own business I think there's something to be said for the people who hit the search button be it here or elsewhere versus the instant gratificationites who just heard about real estate and ask something that's be asked over and over. And also just to add, Jerryll is definitely worth following he's hilarious and a great member of the forums to check up on.
That leads into my next point. Heavy hitter is a strong word, but I think of it with regards to the people I recognize by name without stat count on the forums. I don't think Tim Ferriss or Kiyosaki has ever posted here, but I'm guessing their first would still have heavy hitter status. The more you hang around the forums the easier it is to tell, a lot don't post everywhere it depends on the topic. Other than @Jay Hinrichs who I think no one could argue is a heavy hitter and to me probably the heaviest of them all. Like I couldn't tell you how many posts or votes @Chris Seveney has, but I assure you if you want to know anything about notes he's the first guy I'd refer you to. Being in lending I see a lot of Ann Bellamy posts and I'd consider her a heavy hitter, but if it's not your field you might miss out. Just my 76 cents
@Odie Ayaga thanks for the shoutout. I agree with you 100% in regards to posting something novel.
Perfect example would be when someone posts "I want to make $10,000/month whats the best way to get there and how long will it take?", or I have $50k what do I invest in.
First off, there are 1,000's of posts like that and what makes yours stick out?
If you started by saying, I am putting together my business plan and have enclosed a draft with an end goal of achieving $10,000 per month in 5 years, can someone take a look and give me feedback. Some of the pertinent points are:
I am starting with my own $, but am looking to be able to raise X amount of capital by year 2. I am doing this by XXX as part of my marketing plan. My marketing plan consists of YYY.
I am also targeting these markets and am building a team of X,Y,Z. Should I fly there to meet these people?
If I saw a post like this, I would be like - Wow this person has thought this through. That person would jump ten fold on my credibility list vs. someone who posted the generic I want $10k.
So first off thanks for starting this @Robert C.. I usually dread these threads with tons of responses. Just in quick reply @Jerryll Noorden because I think you raise a good point, I do think there's something to people posting a question that's been posted a million times versus someone who posts something novel. It's not that it's a dumb question, but on a site devoted to building your own business I think there's something to be said for the people who hit the search button be it here or elsewhere versus the instant gratificationites who just heard about real estate and ask something that's be asked over and over. And also just to add, Jerryll is definitely worth following he's hilarious and a great member of the forums to check up on.
That leads into my next point. Heavy hitter is a strong word, but I think of it with regards to the people I recognize by name without stat count on the forums. I don't think Tim Ferriss or Kiyosaki has ever posted here, but I'm guessing their first would still have heavy hitter status. The more you hang around the forums the easier it is to tell, a lot don't post everywhere it depends on the topic. Other than @Jay Hinrichs who I think no one could argue is a heavy hitter and to me probably the heaviest of them all. Like I couldn't tell you how many posts or votes @Chris Seveney has, but I assure you if you want to know anything about notes he's the first guy I'd refer you to. Being in lending I see a lot of Ann Bellamy posts and I'd consider her a heavy hitter, but if it's not your field you might miss out. Just my 76 cents
Yes, of course some just ask without any effort. Yes that is annoying and I can spot those miles away.
Now for a second think you are new at this, and you land on a forum almost 2M strong, and there is no evident structure on this site. We all know the structure because we have been here a while.
But to be very honest, the whole navigation structure here on BP is quite bad. It is not at all intuitive. Then with everyone posting questions everywhere....
Go to the marketing forum, and you will find that 80%+ of the folks are asking anything and everything other than marketing questions. You can not possibly tell me that being a new person here you can navigate through all this and find an answer you the questions you have.
I too would just rather ask. Also know that these new guys have no idea how often these questions are asked.
This is not a debate on whether the answers to these questions are here or not. It is about people WILL ask questions previously asked and you simply can not blame them for it because this system simply is not designed to find answers to questions previously asked.
Yet lastly, that is STILL no excuse for treating these excited-to-start/learn people with such negativity.
If I have the intelligence to put myself in someone else's shoes and see the world through their eyes and sympathize... why can't you, him she it?
Get it?
@Jerryll Noorden absolutely no one should treat them negatively simply out of weariness, but I think a lot of those posts get left for dead because of it. I've certainly stepped out and defended some newbies from more experienced people in that situation, but I think the experienced members also realize there's a level of weariness that comes from a general question that's been asked a thousand times. To your point though, that's why a novel post is likely going to get more responses.
@Chris Seveney you know I love how you operate, but I would disagree with you with the general forum on one point. I think there's a balance between being too general and too specific. I think it would be a bit much to expect a great turnout if i posted that "I want to make 10K in non-performing notes in Tennessee in 2 years and here's my plan" and it's 5 paragraphs long. There's a point at which I think realizing you're at the step to say "I want to get into non-performing notes in Tennessee" is the right post for an investor at the right time and messaging someone in the field like yourself with the details once they understand them is the right move (please don't flood Chris's inbox)
And just to clarify @Jerryll Noorden I still have filters setup so I see when new investors post in my area so I can just say hi. It's not an anti-newbie thing or anything. I honestly wish more of them would reach out directly because some of my favorite real estate conversations have been with newbies over the phone just trying to help them out
OK, I finally got around to actually posting like I mean it here (was busy doing a rehab!)
@Randy E.,I don't know if they qualify as "heavy hitters" or not, but they are thoughtful and insightful and I usually learn something from their posts.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm kind of blushing now.
But seriously, I am far from a heavy hitter. Compared to what a lot of people on BP are doing in this field, especially the other people you mentioned, I'm the creamiest of cream puffs.
OK, I finally got around to actually posting like I mean it here (was busy doing a rehab!)
@Randy E.,I don't know if they qualify as "heavy hitters" or not, but they are thoughtful and insightful and I usually learn something from their posts.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm kind of blushing now.
But seriously, I am far from a heavy hitter. Compared to what a lot of people on BP are doing in this field, especially the other people you mentioned, I'm the creamiest of cream puffs.
Yeah, but you have a picture of a nice lab as your avatar, and that alone qualifies you in my book 🐕😁
OK, I finally got around to actually posting like I mean it here (was busy doing a rehab!)
@Randy E.,I don't know if they qualify as "heavy hitters" or not, but they are thoughtful and insightful and I usually learn something from their posts.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm kind of blushing now.
But seriously, I am far from a heavy hitter. Compared to what a lot of people on BP are doing in this field, especially the other people you mentioned, I'm the creamiest of cream puffs.
Randy, I have yet to see you post a single stupid thing, and the bulk of your posts yield more and more value the closer you read them. You're WAY ahead of most and me.
Thanks for the mention! I am just glad to have found a place in the world where people "get me" and I felt understood, and get learn a whole bunch from other smart people and ask some questions and get some great feedback. I honestly love real estate and construction and am happy to talk about it all day, with people on the internet and people in real life. If I can help others with my obsession - let the world be a better place!