Deal/Investment Analysis - southern Minnesota

Deal/Investment Analysis - southern Minnesota

Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2020 · 540 posts · 285 votes

My first Forums post & it's a long one:  Some facts, then options regarding Downpayment & eventual Cash Out 

I'm 31 with our first child due later this month, listened to most of the BP Podcasts and feel like I'm ready to invest. I would like to invest in a Single Family House 3 bed / 2 bath / 2 garage in southern Minnesota with a 15 year Mortgage with traditional bank financing 20% down. I live in the Twin Cities about 90 minutes north but I have friends in the area. SFH 3/2/2 is $63,000 and ready to rent (newer roof & newer water heater), just completed by a local turn-key guy, it currently has a tenant and rents for $800/mnth and cash flows $200/mnth. For the downpayment, I would need 20% and some closing fees, call it $15,000 for the downpayment.

Option A:

Get 4 close friends (not Accredited Investors / I'm not soliciting) each to put in $3,500 each as an Investment offering 8% interest compounding monthly with a balloon payment due in 15 years of $11,575 which is a 70% return over 15 years (you can run this math, it works out) - these are younger guys who live in NYC and could never invest in real estate for that amount.   With the stock market down for likely the next year it makes more sense for them to invest in this option rather than an Index Fund (plus the THRILL of being a real estate investor).    At the end of 15 years I have 100% equity in the home, but owe $46,300 in balloon payments to the 4 investors.  I could sell the home and walk away with $12,000 ($16,700 minus 8% in closing costs on $63,000) therefore making the same $$$ as the 4 investors and personally not having put a dollar into the downpayment, plus $36,000 in cashflow over the 15 years ($200/mnth x 180mnths) minus the inevitable repairs that come along the 15 years.  None of this takes into account ANY APPRECIATION in the home's value, which could be $75k-$80k-$90k therefore driving my $12,000 up).    But then the house is sold, the monthly cash flow is gone.  I've cashed out.  Or I refinance after paying the 4 investors out, keep my equity in it, and continue renting is out. 

Option B:  Similar scenario, same Basic Facts some of the side commentary removed

I put in $7,000 my self (replacing 2 of the investor buddies) and get 2 close friends each to put in $3,500 each as an Investment offering 8% interest compounding monthly with a balloon payment due in 15 years of $11,575 which is a 70% return over 15 years. At the end of 15 years I have 100% equity in the home, but owe $23,150 in balloon payments to the 2 investors. I could sell the home and walk away with $34,810 ($39,850 minus 8% in closing costs on $63,000), plus $36,000 in cashflow over the 15 years ($200/mnth x 180mnths) minus the inevitable repairs that come along the 15 years. None of this takes into account ANY APPRECIATION in the home's value, which could be $75k-$80k-$90k therefore driving my $35k up). But then the house is sold, the monthly cash flow is gone. I think in this scenario I would more likely cash out the 2 buddies & keep my equity in it, and continue renting is out - odds are the appreciation has driven up the home value and I can HELOC and pay the 2 investors out through that.

ANYWAY - if you read all that I owe you a beer if/when you get to the Twin Cities.    Leave some comments, tell me your thoughts on all this, let me know if I'm blindly missing something here, or if you're local to the Twin Cities send me a DM.  Thanks Everyone! 

0Reply
17 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Bloomington, MN · Member since 2019 · 404 posts · 542 votes
    6y

    @John Francis Hinck Originally I did not want to reply because I’m not an expert in this type of transaction but I’ll give my 2 cents. I also don’t like to respond negatively to anyone starting out because I believe in real estate as a great investment. Since there are no responses so far I will start this off...

    My initial reaction is that this seems overly complex for such a small deal. 4 investors on a $63,000 purchase feels like too many. Also, although the return percentage is great, I don’t think I would want to wait 15 years to get repaid on a $3,500 investment.

    Do you have financing set up? I love that you’re using 15 year amortization. If a deal works with 15 year amortization it is likely a solid deal. However, I don’t believe traditional financing will like the fact that the down payment is coming from silent investors.

  • Adam TafelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2017 · 581 posts · 398 votes
    6y

    @Frank Hinck - made it through your post, I'll take that beer whenever you have the time...

    Does the $200/mo include deductions for cap-ex/repairs/vacancy? What market of Southern MN are you looking in? What does the population growth look like? Job market? How old is the home? I would personally want a larger cushion before investing in small-town MN, but that's just me, completely biased and bullish for the Twin Cities rental market. I'm not about to double-check your calculations; you're obviously competent when it comes to finance. 

    Upside Property Sales 4.9108 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2020 · 540 posts · 285 votes
    6y

    @Adam Tafel

    Correct $200 cash flow after $100/month capex, 1 month vacancy.

    The home is in Austin which has Hormel, medical, warehousing.

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2020 · 540 posts · 285 votes
    6y

    @Corey Hawkinson

    Thanks for the 1st comment and admittedly it’s Option A is a bit complicated but I do have some friends lined up asking for the opportunity. Technically they’re not equity investors, they’re debt holders.

    The goal is to get the first property underway and start the cash flow so I can save for more homes like Option B.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.