Strange Dealings: Paid 3x market value?

Strange Dealings: Paid 3x market value?

Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote

I'm looking into properties (Ohio) and comparing similar SFH in the neighborhood and came across something I don't understand. The average price in this neighborhood is about 75k. But there is this one property across the street from the one I'm looking at that sold for 225k. Same size as the others, nothing apparently special about it at all. If anything, it looks a bit older than most. I looked up the corporation (seems to be listed as a "Ohio Foreign Corporation") that bought it and they bought a few other properties around the city (not close by) at WAY over market value (like 300%) as well.

Is this a green flag? Can this neighborhood be suddenly skyrocketing in value (which I strongly doubt)? Or is it a red flag? Like foreign investors that are buying up random properties with no intention of improving them or even renting them out? Or just ignore it? 

0Reply
14 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Where in Ohio? Also check the auditor site and make sure it was just a single property transaction. I was posting on another thread here where 5 properties sold together as one sale on the auditor site, but Zillow was displaying the total for the 5 properties as a sale price for just one of them, confusing people. 

  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Hiromitsu Masuda There could be a multitude of things going on...feel free to PM the address and I can get some info your way.

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    This is in Franklin County. I did check the auditor's page and from what I can tell these are all individual properties that appear to be massively overpaid for. I suppose it's not something I need to concern myself about, but this is the first time I've seen something like this and it doesn't make any sense to me. Brandon, I'll PM you. 

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    UPDATE: it seems that both Zillow and the county auditor's website are a bit misleading. On both websites, three separate properties were listed as being sold for $225k each, when it was apparently actually a package deal. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.