Dump Your Real Estate Agent

Dump Your Real Estate Agent

Specialist · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 77 posts · 202 votes

It is my contention that in most circumstances you should not use a real estate agent to buy a single family home, and only in limited circumstances should you use one to sell. 

This strategy saved me approximately $15,000 in the purchase of my most recent home and I think most real estate savvy people in places like the BP forums could likely do the same.

"Dear seller, your home is listed at $445,000. If I assume you'll pay a 5% commission to sell the home, the net price to you if you receive a full list offer is $422,750. However, half of the commission (2.5%) of the house, will go to the buyer's agent. In my case, I am not using an agent, so that portion of the commission can be eliminated. Therefore, I'd like to offer you $430,000, which, after the 2.5% commission to your agent, nets to $419,250. Therefore, your net price with my offer is very close to the list price. I look forward to hearing from you."

Boom $15,000 in my pocket. Disagree?

17Reply
168 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
5y

100% of the time I receive offers from buyers that are not represented, they pay more for the house than if they had an agent.  They always convince themselves how smart they are, and I feed that ego to make and make sure to give them a good pat on the back.

See this reply in the discussion

84 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 925 votes
    5y

    @Minna Reid. Agreed on Zillow and the ‘free’ online resources that do not tell an accurate value for sales or rentals.

    Working with new investors we guide them through the process, we have resources and vendors to help. We help negotiate the deal. Many would be lost if they started on their own without representation.

    And as someone said earlier as a FSBO with a new buyer - wow- that seller needs to manage the whole transaction. That can be time consuming and that is why many people pay professional realtors to find, negotiate and manage their transactions.

    Once an investor has a few under their belt and understands what’s needed and has reputable vendors in that market, go for it, go solo and win big!

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5y

    If you're new and looking for a buyer's agent, obtain a good one that is experienced and well-connected. An agent with a great lender, contractor and inspector in their networks, not your friend or family member starting out.

    I am 'selling' a cute little house in a hot market on a lease option.  3 couples wanted it and were well-qualified, but had new agents they were friends with, bringing no value to the table 

    When it came down to needing to up the strike price to pay their agent $7000, they all had to admit the new agents weren't worth the cost and lost the house.  All 3 had been looking for a long time and under the incorrect assumption that having a buyer's agent would cost them nothing. 

    The Optionee/tenant-buyer ended up being a new agent that needs some extra time for her 1099 income to be bankable. Kind of ironic.  At least she didn't have someone in the way that needed paid somehow. 

  • John BucciPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Tarrytown, NY · Member since 2016 · 149 posts · 63 votes
    5y

    I would agree with many others that commission is often not 50/50 on buy/sell sides, and listing agent will often only give a 1% discount or so in the event a buyer comes directly. So it may not be netting the seller quite as much as most people think, or the 2.5% you mentioned. But all things being equal, if there is a 1% or so discount, it may motivate the seller to save 5-10k. Why not.

    As a listing agent having another local realtor with a reputation on the line to close the deal and prove they have a qualified/vetted buyer is often valuable, and part of the conversation with a seller. Sellers may leave some money on the table to go with the offer that appears more legit, and is more likely to close. But my market is fairly small so agents know agents, and houses are 500k-1MM+. Deals are rarely double sided or unrepresented. But in a city with  higher volume of agents and transactions the relationships may be less apparent/relevant. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Conor Aylward:

    @Phil McAlister

    In a perfect world this works. I’ve seen deals work smooth as silk as your stating.

    However then the deal rolls around where it takes just a touch more calorie burn during normal working hours....

    If you have the time the extra time on your hands and have a full knowledge of the contracts it’s definitely a money saver.

    Only question. How much is your time worth?

    I’m a Realtor (full disclosure Laugh Out Loud!!!)

    So here is how it works in the real world.. my last community i built out was 32 homes..  1 of the buyers came to me with this proposal.. He owned a PIzza franchise business was in real estate in his early years  understands bizz and real estate and was paying cash  400k.. buying the house for his daughter to live in..  So he asked for this arrangement as the seller and the listing broker I had no problem with it it got me to the same net as all the other brokers selling my homes.

    In my latest 90 home community I am building 600 to 800k homes.. I have again out of hte first 25 sales exactly one person doing this and they are an agent in the industry currently so they deferred their commission in exchange for upgrades  I get to the same place.

    So really depends on circumstances and such..

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    However for the average BP beginner agents will normally bring more value than they take away from those getting started. 
  • John BucciPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Tarrytown, NY · Member since 2016 · 149 posts · 63 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    However for the average BP beginner agents will normally bring more value than they take away from those getting started. 

    Agreed. Not to mention using a buyer's agent cost you (the buyer) nothing, and a "good" agent will negotiate a better deal on your behalf. Or suggest ways to tweak your terms/ offer to increase your chances of getting accepted. 

    The original example of offering full price and netting the seller more is created in a vacuum, compared to what's really going on these days. With 10+ offers on the table in many cases, your 1% commission savings offer is hardly going to be the differentiator. 

    But in the hypothetical world, I get the original point. As someone else said maybe just get your license. Save yourself some real cash, instead of just 10k less on a mortgage. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2014 · 47 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Account Closed it very much depends on who your agent is and how you conduct your real estate business. You should only be working with agents who provide value outside of the specific deal in question. 

    My clients get access to better deals than others because they choose to work with me across the board, whether selling their flips or buying a personal residence. Must be careful not to pinch a penny to lose a dollar (in opportunity costs from other deals).

    But if you're just talking about a retail agent doing a single deal with you, then I agree completely.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 523 posts · 476 votes
    5y

    We used this exact argument with a multifamily owner, who did not have an agent. Pointed out that he would give up 4% to 5% of the sale price in commissions, and the time burned with the broker bringing different investors, who may or may not close. He gave us a solid 7% discount, compared to what a very similar property sold for within walking distance. 

    Now other sellers might want an agent, so might investors. We use agents too. Heck, I was one myself. 

    I do think any owner occupant who is not savvy, or a first time buyer, should have an agent. too many ways to get burned. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @John Bucci:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    However for the average BP beginner agents will normally bring more value than they take away from those getting started. 

    Agreed. Not to mention using a buyer's agent cost you (the buyer) nothing, and a "good" agent will negotiate a better deal on your behalf. Or suggest ways to tweak your terms/ offer to increase your chances of getting accepted. 

    The original example of offering full price and netting the seller more is created in a vacuum, compared to what's really going on these days. With 10+ offers on the table in many cases, your 1% commission savings offer is hardly going to be the differentiator. 

    But in the hypothetical world, I get the original point. As someone else said maybe just get your license. Save yourself some real cash, instead of just 10k less on a mortgage. 

    good agent in this market can make or break it..  I mean when I first hit a seller of a lot  ( sellers agent) in charleston SC with an escalator clause about 5 years ago they had never heard of it..  I got the lot for a mere 5k over ask. when all the other offers from local builders I am sure were lower than ask or maybe at ask.  and that was a 150k profit deal.. so whats 5k. 

    My wife just beat out 12 offer scenario as she is pretty good at this.. and she insisted in presenting the contract to the seller in person.. 

    it was kind of cute.. I drove here there and it was a senior home.. the listing agent had a table out side and all the realtors were lined up.

    now her buyer went 40k over ask on a 350k property but it had financing and other things so it was not all cash like what is happening in Vegas.  but she got it done.. !!!  that buyer is from Vegas and never saw the house other than on line etc.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Russell Brazil, @Steve Vaughan

    Good contributions, thanks. 

    It sounds like your argument boils down to market knowledge. Makes sense, I certainly wouldn't advocate for anyone offering to buy real estate if they don't understand the value of what they're paying for. 

    My rebuttal would be that with the resources we have currently (Redfin, Zillow, etc. etc. etc.), that market knowledge is extremely transparent and easy to ascertain. It may may sense to have another set of eyes on your value, but $15,000 is a steep price to pay for what I can do in 3 minutes on Redfin. 

    The other area of value Steve notes is the hand-holding function of realtors and pushing to get a transaction through. Undeniable that there is some degree of value there. More value the less versed you are in real estate.

    But the process is actually quite simple, the boilerplate  contract is not rife with pitfalls, and you'll have a lawyer there to help facilitate all of that as well.

    Ultimately, in an era where I can buy and sell stock for zero commission, and information is incredible easy to access, 5% of the value of the house seems like an absurdly mispriced service. 

    Please don't throw a brick through my window. 

     The numerous ways I take advantage of both unrepresented buyers/seller.....and in addition to people who just use bad agents, and lets be honest, 75% of the agents out there are just bad....and that has added up to millions of dollars of difference over the years.  The thing is, the other side usually has no clue about the mistake......and usually feels good about the whole thing without ever realizing how much money they missed out on.

    This is one recent example. I had a previous client that I helped by a 3 unit property a few years ago. When the time came to sell it, they decided to hire a bad agent instead of using me again to save a few bucks. This property in the tax records was listed as a 2 unit property. But there was a variance granted to it to make it a legal 3 unit, and that variance was recorded in the land records. The agent that listed it, in the description described it as a 2 unit property, and insinuated in the description the 3rd unit was not legal. They also listed it in the single family section of the MLS instead of the multifamily section of the MLS......so none of the numerous people who had autoemails set up for multifamilies received an email about this property. They listed it at an even $1,000,000. Another mistake as listing at $999k would have captured more searches, but less of an issue since it wasnt set up to be found in a multifamily search.

    This property should have been listed for $999k, and should have been bid up and sold $1,100,000. Instead it languished on the market, and I ended up writing an offer and closing on it for $925k.  $175k swing.  But hey,  they did save 1% on the listing fee, so they got that for them. At the soonest chance to refinance at the 6 month mark, the appraisal came in at $1,150,000.

    Those sellers though never once had any idea the property was listed in the wrong MLS section. They had no idea that the description of the property indicating the 3rd unit was illegal was wrong. They did not know that listing at $999k vs $1m could make a difference. They never knew they left $175k or so on the table, and they walked away from the transaction feeling great about it, because the opposite side of the deal from me often feels great about the experience....thats how I get deals done.

    Now, theres maybe 50 agents, maybe 100 in my metro area, out of 20-25,000 agents who would have listed this property properly. Multifamily is incredibly rare in my metro area, and theres only about a dozen of us agents who do all the multifamily deals. Most of the agents have zero clue about how to check the units legalities, variances, understand the multifamily MLS system, etc.

    This is just one story out of hundreds I have.  I buy properties in other states as well....and when I do, I hire local agents even though I am a top 1% agent nationally, because I know how many little quirks there are in things that can cost big dollars.  I will say though, I have a much better gage to judge the quality of an agent when Im hiring one than a lay person does.

    Russ here is a cute story.. 

    My wife gets referred a buyer from our Town Car driver who has been taking us to and from the airport for 15 years.. a Recent Heiress.

    Looking for high end home.. but no real clue.. long story short she shows ne 4.4 mil house on sat another 6.8 on Sunday on Monday they write up the 6.8  buyer wants to pay full price .. Lori says nope we are going in at 6.4  as she had deduced the seller was foreign and bought the home for their 19 year old son to live in while going to collage.. not sure what a 19 year old needs with a 14k sq ft mansion with exotic cars to boot. So she got that accepted then during the home inspection 2 day process there was one really nice high end beemer left in the Garage and Lori tells the listing agent that she will expect the title to be in escrow when we close and that should come with the house.. And they agreed to that  LOL  I am like shoot your super women. saved them 500k on the price plus a new beemer ..  Great agents are worth the money they make that's my perspective of course I like it..  And Steve will know the company that got sold upon the death of the patriarch it was a house hold name in the North west  sold for like 2 B..  

  • Realtor · PInellas County Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 902 posts · 810 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @John Morgan:

    I always use the listing agent. It seems to work. Not sure how they negotiate the commission behind the scenes, but my offer always seems to stand out and gets me the deal.

     Your offer stands out because

    1. The listing agent can tell the seller that he can represent the seller's best interests and there's no "professional" negotiator on the buy side.

    2. The listing agent gets the full commission and doesn't have to split it with the buyer's agent.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    I've had deals (including my 1st MF deal on a 4-unit) where I went to a seller and made a lowball offer. When he scoffed I tell him we'll be saving him 6%. 

    For those saying one is all alone when he/she doesn't have an agent - that's what a R.E. attorney is for - and it cost me (and the seller) a lot less than using an agent VS the savings for the seller as well as for me (my low offer which was accepted made me more than happy to pay my lawyer the $600-$700 he charged to represent me).

    The 4-plex had been listed for $94,500, I believe, and I ended up buying it at $79,000. 

    On the flip side, if I see a property I like that's listed by an agent I'm all for having the selling agent be the dual agent - I've done it in the past and the agent will do what it takes to close the deal as he/she wants that 6%. 

    In one case the seller had rejected my lowball offer and I resubmitted a few months later. I got another no and the selling agent 'reminded them of my offer' when there was a roof leak and the seller was beyond stressed over it. They relented and the selling agent asked if I was still interested at my price and indeed I was.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Russell Brazil, @Steve Vaughan

    Good contributions, thanks. 

    It sounds like your argument boils down to market knowledge. Makes sense, I certainly wouldn't advocate for anyone offering to buy real estate if they don't understand the value of what they're paying for. 

    My rebuttal would be that with the resources we have currently (Redfin, Zillow, etc. etc. etc.), that market knowledge is extremely transparent and easy to ascertain. It may may sense to have another set of eyes on your value, but $15,000 is a steep price to pay for what I can do in 3 minutes on Redfin. 

    The other area of value Steve notes is the hand-holding function of realtors and pushing to get a transaction through. Undeniable that there is some degree of value there. More value the less versed you are in real estate.

    But the process is actually quite simple, the boilerplate  contract is not rife with pitfalls, and you'll have a lawyer there to help facilitate all of that as well.

    Ultimately, in an era where I can buy and sell stock for zero commission, and information is incredible easy to access, 5% of the value of the house seems like an absurdly mispriced service. 

    Please don't throw a brick through my window. 

     The numerous ways I take advantage of both unrepresented buyers/seller.....and in addition to people who just use bad agents, and lets be honest, 75% of the agents out there are just bad....and that has added up to millions of dollars of difference over the years.  The thing is, the other side usually has no clue about the mistake......and usually feels good about the whole thing without ever realizing how much money they missed out on.

    This is one recent example. I had a previous client that I helped by a 3 unit property a few years ago. When the time came to sell it, they decided to hire a bad agent instead of using me again to save a few bucks. This property in the tax records was listed as a 2 unit property. But there was a variance granted to it to make it a legal 3 unit, and that variance was recorded in the land records. The agent that listed it, in the description described it as a 2 unit property, and insinuated in the description the 3rd unit was not legal. They also listed it in the single family section of the MLS instead of the multifamily section of the MLS......so none of the numerous people who had autoemails set up for multifamilies received an email about this property. They listed it at an even $1,000,000. Another mistake as listing at $999k would have captured more searches, but less of an issue since it wasnt set up to be found in a multifamily search.

    This property should have been listed for $999k, and should have been bid up and sold $1,100,000. Instead it languished on the market, and I ended up writing an offer and closing on it for $925k.  $175k swing.  But hey,  they did save 1% on the listing fee, so they got that for them. At the soonest chance to refinance at the 6 month mark, the appraisal came in at $1,150,000.

    Those sellers though never once had any idea the property was listed in the wrong MLS section. They had no idea that the description of the property indicating the 3rd unit was illegal was wrong. They did not know that listing at $999k vs $1m could make a difference. They never knew they left $175k or so on the table, and they walked away from the transaction feeling great about it, because the opposite side of the deal from me often feels great about the experience....thats how I get deals done.

    Now, theres maybe 50 agents, maybe 100 in my metro area, out of 20-25,000 agents who would have listed this property properly. Multifamily is incredibly rare in my metro area, and theres only about a dozen of us agents who do all the multifamily deals. Most of the agents have zero clue about how to check the units legalities, variances, understand the multifamily MLS system, etc.

    This is just one story out of hundreds I have.  I buy properties in other states as well....and when I do, I hire local agents even though I am a top 1% agent nationally, because I know how many little quirks there are in things that can cost big dollars.  I will say though, I have a much better gage to judge the quality of an agent when Im hiring one than a lay person does.

    Russ here is a cute story.. 

    My wife gets referred a buyer from our Town Car driver who has been taking us to and from the airport for 15 years.. a Recent Heiress.

    Looking for high end home.. but no real clue.. long story short she shows ne 4.4 mil house on sat another 6.8 on Sunday on Monday they write up the 6.8  buyer wants to pay full price .. Lori says nope we are going in at 6.4  as she had deduced the seller was foreign and bought the home for their 19 year old son to live in while going to collage.. not sure what a 19 year old needs with a 14k sq ft mansion with exotic cars to boot. So she got that accepted then during the home inspection 2 day process there was one really nice high end beemer left in the Garage and Lori tells the listing agent that she will expect the title to be in escrow when we close and that should come with the house.. And they agreed to that  LOL  I am like shoot your super women. saved them 500k on the price plus a new beemer ..  Great agents are worth the money they make that's my perspective of course I like it..  And Steve will know the company that got sold upon the death of the patriarch it was a house hold name in the North west  sold for like 2 B..  

     Similar thing happened not that long ago with one of my friends/clients @Ron Gallagher when we bought his most recent primary residence. He walked into the property and absolutely loved it.  I did not. He wanted to wrap up the deal and not lose the property, so he would have paid the list price. Most other agents probably would have let the client pay the list price if the client wanted to. I said we are absolutely not paying list price on this, I know its not moving at the price. So I ended up negotiating off $10k on the list price and $26,100 in closing costs, for a net of $36,100 off. But having to come to the table with the $26k seller subsidy was the real winning part of that deal. And thats in one of the hottest neighborhoods of the hottest markets in the country. 

    That doesnt happen for every client obviously though. But I do feel like for Ron who I do a lot of business with, I keep getting him good deals.

    Ive got another story with him......this guy we bought a house from was using a flat fee agent to get it on the MLS. Wrong section of the MLS again (I do 3-5 deals a year where thats the case). Seller meets us in person to show us the property. Its listed at $550k, we spend an hour or so at the property. At the end I ask Ron how much hes willing to pay for the property. I think he said something like $525k. I said, we are going to get this for $500k. Hes like how do you know that.....I said the seller told us 4 times during the conversation, without realizing it, how much he was willing to sell the property for. The seller over and over again kept saying how hard it was for the average person to save "half a million dollars." He used that phrase 4 times. He completely telegraphed what his bottom dollar was....and sure enough, thats exactly what we paid for it. (Actually $505k with a $5k seller subsidy for a $500k net sales price). We did a video on that property.

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Dan Maciejewski:
    Originally posted by @John Morgan:

    I always use the listing agent. It seems to work. Not sure how they negotiate the commission behind the scenes, but my offer always seems to stand out and gets me the deal.

     Your offer stands out because

    1. The listing agent can tell the seller that he can represent the seller's best interests and there's no "professional" negotiator on the buy side.

    2. The listing agent gets the full commission and doesn't have to split it with the buyer's agent.

    That’s what I thought until other realtors on here said that’s not true. Especially since I’m in Texas and the listing agents can’t take all the commission according to state laws here. All I know is it works for me and the listing agents seem to do backflips for me to get these properties.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Hugo, MN · Member since 2016 · 688 posts · 596 votes
    5y

    @Phil McAlister depends on the real estate agent you are using. I agree your typical agent that opens the door and says wow look at the space may not give you much value.

    We take the approach to look at the structure, electrical, plumbing, roof and such to determine if the house is worth pursuing, this applies to both personal and investment properties.

    But the job doesn’t stop there, because the markets constantly change the way the offer is structured can make all the difference in being accepted (ie inspection contingency, appraisal guarantees, etc). What worked 6 months ago may not work now and a busy realtor will realize things are changing and stay ahead of the competition. Then the comes appraisal we have seen conventional loan appraisers require repairs we provide a maintenance crew to get them completed and keep things on track. Others have touched on the paperwork compliance and the difficulties that fsbo encounter trying to do it themselves. I don’t have a single client that we haven’t told to walk away from a house because of what we found on a walkthrough (my husband is a former contractor) those home defects could have cost the clients much more than our commission. Some people with experience in contracting, real estate transactions, and purchase often absolutely can do it without a realtor, but most would be much better off with a knowledgeable professional.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @John Morgan:
    Originally posted by @Dan Maciejewski:
    Originally posted by @John Morgan:

    I always use the listing agent. It seems to work. Not sure how they negotiate the commission behind the scenes, but my offer always seems to stand out and gets me the deal.

     Your offer stands out because

    1. The listing agent can tell the seller that he can represent the seller's best interests and there's no "professional" negotiator on the buy side.

    2. The listing agent gets the full commission and doesn't have to split it with the buyer's agent.

    That’s what I thought until other realtors on here said that’s not true. Especially since I’m in Texas and the listing agents can’t take all the commission according to state laws here. All I know is it works for me and the listing agents seem to do backflips for me to get these properties.  

     there is no question letting a listing agent double end the deal will give you an advantage its simply human nature nothing more nothing less..  Although in the one my wife secured last week for the buyer in Vegas the listing agent did have a contract from one of his buyers but it was not as good as my wifes and he was honorable and had the seller take the better offer. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Karl B.:

    I've had deals (including my 1st MF deal on a 4-unit) where I went to a seller and made a lowball offer. When he scoffed I tell him we'll be saving him 6%. 

    For those saying one is all alone when he/she doesn't have an agent - that's what a R.E. attorney is for - and it cost me (and the seller) a lot less than using an agent VS the savings for the seller as well as for me (my low offer which was accepted made me more than happy to pay my lawyer the $600-$700 he charged to represent me).

    The 4-plex had been listed for $94,500, I believe, and I ended up buying it at $79,000. 

    On the flip side, if I see a property I like that's listed by an agent I'm all for having the selling agent be the dual agent - I've done it in the past and the agent will do what it takes to close the deal as he/she wants that 6%. 

    In one case the seller had rejected my lowball offer and I resubmitted a few months later. I got another no and the selling agent 'reminded them of my offer' when there was a roof leak and the seller was beyond stressed over it. They relented and the selling agent asked if I was still interested at my price and indeed I was.

    Just for the beginners reading this thread.. DONT confuse a closing attorney with anything more than someone who is going to do a very minimal amount of paper work for the closing.. they dont do anything other than that those are closing attorneys that why they are so cheap.

    the hours it takes for most buyers for inspections and other due diligence the attorney is simply not going to do.. 

    think on BP of most attorneys that do real estate closings as escrow officers that is the limit of their functions.. they do check the title reports and are agents for the title insurer so that is a great thing.. but for the nuts and bolts of the transactions they dont replace a realtor.

  • Realtor · Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 925 votes
    5y

    @Phil McAlister why thank you Phil. Honestly we are in this business to be of service and we love what we do.

    With regards to Zillow mainly, while they upload new listings immediately it takes substantially longer for them to upload changes to the status once under contract ( all stages). My guess is to drive more eyes to their site. I can't tell you how many times a client has given me a Zillow listing asking why it was not included in their MLS emails from us ...only to see it's been under contracts for days sometimes even weeks. Also in Texas we are a non disclosure state so when you see a sold property on Zillow it only shows the last list price not the actual sold price. This is information we as Realtors have access to.

    For rentals, it also only gives the last list price. But we can see how many price changes that property has had, etc.

  • Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    I mean, you're super confrontational with replies, but my two cents is a good realtor will get you the deal and save you money. in my market those AVMs you say are "accurate" have about 8000 data points across the state. We have 14,000 data points for just our city, just in the last year. We are way more accurate. Your "15k" you say you saved could have been more and also you lost a potential connection to buy more properties off market. But hey! do you! You seem to be the smartest guy in the room.

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    I think it depends on the realtor and the situation.  If the realtor is fantastic, would they make you additional money? Or save you additional money?  

    Like most people in this group, I look at 100's of houses online every day.  I consistently think WTF is this realtor doing?  In my mind, a realtor is going to make you money selling your house if they: 

    -Hire a cleaning service for you 
    -Pay for great pictures
    -Coach you on removing your personal items and pictures so the buyer can picture themselves living in your home
    -Get your house in front of a large audience that you might not otherwise reach. 
    -Respond quickly to offers, requests for showings, etc. (as someone who is working 
    -Entertain a sense of urgency, esp in this market, to get above the asking price 

    The list is different if it's an investment property; however, a realtor can make a huge difference in selling your home.  

    If you are BUYING a realtor might make sense if: 

    - You're out of the area
    -You're uncomfortable negotiating 
    -They have more experience in what to look for.  Once a property is under contract, a realtor can be great at negotiating the price down if things are found in the inspection, or there are issues with financing, etc. They have an idea of what is happening in the market and can ask for similar things.  They speak the same language as other realtors.
    -They have pocket listings that you would not otherwise have access to, or they learn of a listing while communicating with the seller's realtor 
    -they have more time to negotiate on your behalf 

    As with everything in life, it's situational.  If you do choose to work with a real estate agent, I'd make sure you are reviewing the forums and vetting them for fit. (https://www.biggerpockets.com/...) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Karl B.:

    I've had deals (including my 1st MF deal on a 4-unit) where I went to a seller and made a lowball offer. When he scoffed I tell him we'll be saving him 6%. 

    For those saying one is all alone when he/she doesn't have an agent - that's what a R.E. attorney is for - and it cost me (and the seller) a lot less than using an agent VS the savings for the seller as well as for me (my low offer which was accepted made me more than happy to pay my lawyer the $600-$700 he charged to represent me).

    The 4-plex had been listed for $94,500, I believe, and I ended up buying it at $79,000. 

    On the flip side, if I see a property I like that's listed by an agent I'm all for having the selling agent be the dual agent - I've done it in the past and the agent will do what it takes to close the deal as he/she wants that 6%. 

    In one case the seller had rejected my lowball offer and I resubmitted a few months later. I got another no and the selling agent 'reminded them of my offer' when there was a roof leak and the seller was beyond stressed over it. They relented and the selling agent asked if I was still interested at my price and indeed I was.

    Just for the beginners reading this thread.. DONT confuse a closing attorney with anything more than someone who is going to do a very minimal amount of paper work for the closing.. they dont do anything other than that those are closing attorneys that why they are so cheap.

    the hours it takes for most buyers for inspections and other due diligence the attorney is simply not going to do.. 

    think on BP of most attorneys that do real estate closings as escrow officers that is the limit of their functions.. they do check the title reports and are agents for the title insurer so that is a great thing.. but for the nuts and bolts of the transactions they dont replace a realtor.

    I didn't find your above statement to be the case. This was my first MF deal. My  RE attorney was helpful. He recommended a good inspector and worked with the seller's R.E. attorney on making changes to the purchase agreement so both the seller and I were happy. He even did some corresponding with the loan officer to ensure everything was going to close without a snag. 

  • Michael K GallagherBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Damn @Account Closed woke up and chose chaos!  Love this discussion and thats why BP so amazing! The concept is great and could work fine... everything in real estate is negotiable.  I just think it comes down to how long the client or buyer wants to spend learning, researching, drafting paperwork etc to avoid working with an agent.   If that is the most valuable use of their time to save $15K then by all means!  

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Karl B.:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Karl B.:

    I've had deals (including my 1st MF deal on a 4-unit) where I went to a seller and made a lowball offer. When he scoffed I tell him we'll be saving him 6%. 

    For those saying one is all alone when he/she doesn't have an agent - that's what a R.E. attorney is for - and it cost me (and the seller) a lot less than using an agent VS the savings for the seller as well as for me (my low offer which was accepted made me more than happy to pay my lawyer the $600-$700 he charged to represent me).

    The 4-plex had been listed for $94,500, I believe, and I ended up buying it at $79,000. 

    On the flip side, if I see a property I like that's listed by an agent I'm all for having the selling agent be the dual agent - I've done it in the past and the agent will do what it takes to close the deal as he/she wants that 6%. 

    In one case the seller had rejected my lowball offer and I resubmitted a few months later. I got another no and the selling agent 'reminded them of my offer' when there was a roof leak and the seller was beyond stressed over it. They relented and the selling agent asked if I was still interested at my price and indeed I was.

    Just for the beginners reading this thread.. DONT confuse a closing attorney with anything more than someone who is going to do a very minimal amount of paper work for the closing.. they dont do anything other than that those are closing attorneys that why they are so cheap.

    the hours it takes for most buyers for inspections and other due diligence the attorney is simply not going to do.. 

    think on BP of most attorneys that do real estate closings as escrow officers that is the limit of their functions.. they do check the title reports and are agents for the title insurer so that is a great thing.. but for the nuts and bolts of the transactions they dont replace a realtor.

    I didn't find your above statement to be the case. This was my first MF deal. My  RE attorney was helpful. He recommended a good inspector and worked with the seller's R.E. attorney on making changes to the purchase agreement so both the seller and I were happy. He even did some corresponding with the loan officer to ensure everything was going to close without a snag. 

    did he go to the home inspection with you.. did he meet the appraiser at the property ??  typical agent duties. ?? 

    I am just saying attorneys in GENERAL that are closing attorneys for the 500 to 700 they charge are only going to put in maybe 2 hours worth of work.. they would go broke other wise. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Karl B.:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Karl B.:

    I've had deals (including my 1st MF deal on a 4-unit) where I went to a seller and made a lowball offer. When he scoffed I tell him we'll be saving him 6%. 

    For those saying one is all alone when he/she doesn't have an agent - that's what a R.E. attorney is for - and it cost me (and the seller) a lot less than using an agent VS the savings for the seller as well as for me (my low offer which was accepted made me more than happy to pay my lawyer the $600-$700 he charged to represent me).

    The 4-plex had been listed for $94,500, I believe, and I ended up buying it at $79,000. 

    On the flip side, if I see a property I like that's listed by an agent I'm all for having the selling agent be the dual agent - I've done it in the past and the agent will do what it takes to close the deal as he/she wants that 6%. 

    In one case the seller had rejected my lowball offer and I resubmitted a few months later. I got another no and the selling agent 'reminded them of my offer' when there was a roof leak and the seller was beyond stressed over it. They relented and the selling agent asked if I was still interested at my price and indeed I was.

    Just for the beginners reading this thread.. DONT confuse a closing attorney with anything more than someone who is going to do a very minimal amount of paper work for the closing.. they dont do anything other than that those are closing attorneys that why they are so cheap.

    the hours it takes for most buyers for inspections and other due diligence the attorney is simply not going to do.. 

    think on BP of most attorneys that do real estate closings as escrow officers that is the limit of their functions.. they do check the title reports and are agents for the title insurer so that is a great thing.. but for the nuts and bolts of the transactions they dont replace a realtor.

    I didn't find your above statement to be the case. This was my first MF deal. My  RE attorney was helpful. He recommended a good inspector and worked with the seller's R.E. attorney on making changes to the purchase agreement so both the seller and I were happy. He even did some corresponding with the loan officer to ensure everything was going to close without a snag. 

    did he go to the home inspection with you.. did he meet the appraiser at the property ??  typical agent duties. ?? 

    I am just saying attorneys in GENERAL that are closing attorneys for the 500 to 700 they charge are only going to put in maybe 2 hours worth of work.. they would go broke other wise. 

    What appraiser? It was a cash offer. 

    Secondly, I don't care if an agent/lawyer/etc. attends the inspection - as long as I receive the PDF ebook I'm good. Even when I have a buyer's agent I've found I'm the one who gives him/her a list of what I want repaired or credited. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Karl B.:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Karl B.:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Karl B.:

    I've had deals (including my 1st MF deal on a 4-unit) where I went to a seller and made a lowball offer. When he scoffed I tell him we'll be saving him 6%. 

    For those saying one is all alone when he/she doesn't have an agent - that's what a R.E. attorney is for - and it cost me (and the seller) a lot less than using an agent VS the savings for the seller as well as for me (my low offer which was accepted made me more than happy to pay my lawyer the $600-$700 he charged to represent me).

    The 4-plex had been listed for $94,500, I believe, and I ended up buying it at $79,000. 

    On the flip side, if I see a property I like that's listed by an agent I'm all for having the selling agent be the dual agent - I've done it in the past and the agent will do what it takes to close the deal as he/she wants that 6%. 

    In one case the seller had rejected my lowball offer and I resubmitted a few months later. I got another no and the selling agent 'reminded them of my offer' when there was a roof leak and the seller was beyond stressed over it. They relented and the selling agent asked if I was still interested at my price and indeed I was.

    Just for the beginners reading this thread.. DONT confuse a closing attorney with anything more than someone who is going to do a very minimal amount of paper work for the closing.. they dont do anything other than that those are closing attorneys that why they are so cheap.

    the hours it takes for most buyers for inspections and other due diligence the attorney is simply not going to do.. 

    think on BP of most attorneys that do real estate closings as escrow officers that is the limit of their functions.. they do check the title reports and are agents for the title insurer so that is a great thing.. but for the nuts and bolts of the transactions they dont replace a realtor.

    I didn't find your above statement to be the case. This was my first MF deal. My  RE attorney was helpful. He recommended a good inspector and worked with the seller's R.E. attorney on making changes to the purchase agreement so both the seller and I were happy. He even did some corresponding with the loan officer to ensure everything was going to close without a snag. 

    did he go to the home inspection with you.. did he meet the appraiser at the property ??  typical agent duties. ?? 

    I am just saying attorneys in GENERAL that are closing attorneys for the 500 to 700 they charge are only going to put in maybe 2 hours worth of work.. they would go broke other wise. 

    What appraiser? It was a cash offer. 

    Secondly, I don't care if an agent/lawyer/etc. attends the inspection - as long as I receive the PDF ebook I'm good. Even when I have a buyer's agent I've found I'm the one who gives him/her a list of what I want repaired or credited. 

    Gothca  cash is the way to go no doubt..  as I stated above for the experienced buyer this works.. for newbies which is 90% of BP they usually could use a little more handholding.

    and of course for retail owner occs for sure it would be a dumpster fire without representation.    I personally work in about 12 states with I dont know how many agents and just as many closing attorneys and title companies.. doing no less than 10 transactions each and every month sometimes double that.. I have a 24 house deal closing in 5 days and a closing attorney alone is not going to do what i need I need someone on the ground LOL..  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.