Help Needed!! Tips for Selling Your House - (What is YOUR tip?)

Help Needed!! Tips for Selling Your House - (What is YOUR tip?)

Brandon TurnerPro Member
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes

Hey everyone,

I'm working on a blog post, called (tentatively)

"100 Tips for Selling Your House Faster, Easier, and For More Money."

I think I have like 6 ideas... so I have a ways to go. Can anyone offer their tips, suggestions, ideas, etc? I'd love to get a ton of ideas and suggestions!

Thanks!

0Reply
145 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
13y

closets.....
women always look at them & ponder the space for the 300 pairs of shoes they need.
so we strip them to barely full to make it look 'LARGER' & no clutter on the floor or shelving above.
In the last SFH we added a large sealed cedar closet for the off season clothing in the basement. Could also be used as a wine cellar.

laundry rooms....
Most depict the dungeon life of old.
So we put in all new cupboards, marble tile & threw in a (cheap remnant) granite top with an under-mount 10" deep sink.
We also had the height to put the cupboards up to the ceiling leaving a lot of space for laundry baskets etc on the counter top.
They loved it.

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Alex Baev:
    I'd love to see a study on smell in a house and the whole air-freshner thing vs. quantifiable appeal, but being very smell-sensitive, I strongly prefer no smell at all. "Fresh" could be very subjective

    I don't go with flowers or those "fresh scent" things. I prefer to go with something that seems to appeal to both men and women -- apple cinnamon. I've never gotten a negative comment on that.

  • Rental Property Investor · Billings, MT · Member since 2013 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Nice topic. I always mow the lawn on the diagonal and alternate between the two directions to give it a unique look. This is the most commented on trick that I use.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    That's an awesome suggestion, @Mack Schicktanz ! Thanks!

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Bremerton, WA · Member since 2013 · 494 posts · 142 votes
    13y

    Spray down the driveway, sidewalks and garden beds before taking the photos - it brings out the colors.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    I always have a kettle with water and cinnamon cooking on the stove. Sometimes I bake chocolate brownies.

    I take inside pictures and put them into a water proof folder outside, so that people who just drive by see more and want to come in.

    I've once driven around the neighborhood and got 10 'for sale by owner' houses together. We pooled our money and had a big 'for sale by owner' tour, with prizes and big ads in the paper. Because the approach was so unique there were some blogs written about it ahead of time. We got a lot of people and sold a number of houses that weekend. Agents heard about it and had open houses that day as well. So, people that had interest in the neighborhood felt that this was the weekend to go.

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Besides pressure washing driveway and decks, we do sidewalks,and even the house siding if needed. Brick also response well to PW.

    Professional window washing, the windows are so clean they almost disappear and the rooms are brighter.

    Professional house cleaning

    New toilet fill valve, a running toilet during a showing gives the wrong impression.

    Potted flowers at front entrance

    Freshly mowed grass with clippings bagged

    Sidewalks and driveways edged

    Professional staging all rooms

    Trim shrubs, remove old overgrown shrubs and plant new small ones. Old shrubs make a house look old, new shrubs make a house look new.

    Tree low hanging tree branches

    Run a dehumidifier in basement

    Remove cars from driveway, garage, and front street

    Make sure sump pumps are in working order

    Have drains professionally cleaned preventively

    Take down and put away all personal pictures, and any political, religious, or sports references.

    Professionally clean carpets.

    Make sure there are no odors, whether from pets, smoking, or cooking etc.

    Paint the entire interior with neutral colors, doesn't have to be white (snow blind white not recommended), but subdued earth tones work.

    Have heat or air conditioning on but set at moderate level, should not be too hot or too cold.

    Keep electric turned on, water too but caution for freeze damage and leaks in vacant houses.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.