Property Taxes To watch out for?

Property Taxes To watch out for?

New to Real Estate · Metro Detroit · Member since 2022 · 25 posts · 11 votes

Looking at a mixed use office building in the older part of a nice, more affluent downtown area, I'm curious to know what one may be looking at in terms of an increase in property taxes. As I understand, property taxes only go up a max of 5% annually , until the building is sold or renovated significantly, at which the cap is removed. New at this, so how can one reasonably estimate? I know I may be missing key information here but:

B-3 tenant retail/office building 7,000SF. Class C, built in 1883 and renovated in 2004. Listed at 1.4M and then dropped to 1.2M. 

Total assessment: $212,000. Current taxes around $10K annually. 

How drastically could these go up?

Thanks All

0Reply
10 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 941 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ethan Kohler:

    Looking at a mixed use office building in the older part of a nice, more affluent downtown area, I'm curious to know what one may be looking at in terms of an increase in property taxes. As I understand, property taxes only go up a max of 5% annually , until the building is sold or renovated significantly, at which the cap is removed. New at this, so how can one reasonably estimate? I know I may be missing key information here but:

    B-3 tenant retail/office building 7,000SF. Class C, built in 1883 and renovated in 2004. Listed at 1.4M and then dropped to 1.2M. 

    Total assessment: $212,000. Current taxes around $10K annually. 

    How drastically could these go up?

    Thanks All


     Totally depends on your county, each one is different. To be conservative underwriter that the assessed value goes up to market value

  • New to Real Estate · Metro Detroit · Member since 2022 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    Thanks Connor. In Michigan, assessed value is set at 50% of market value. So I believe, the assessed value would go up to about 600K from 212K. Given that the current 10k in annual taxes equates to about a 5% tax rate, I would think annual taxes would jump to 30k annually. But maybe I'm missing some other variables. 

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    This sounds a lot more nuanced and better for someone local (investor, attorney) in your county. 

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    @Ethan Kohler you can get an idea of what the taxes will change to after you purchase by looking at the current SEV, looking up the applicable millage rates and multiplying them.

    The only unknown is if the assessor will just use 50% of your purchase price as the new SEV/Taxable Value. 

    FYI - Michigan Taxable Values can only go up the LESSER of 5% or the state's COLA (Cost Of Living Allowance).

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.