I have an opportunity to acquire a property which has 20 yrs ABSOLUTE NNN LEASE to Gas station/C-store. Never own anything like this before. Pros-Cons. Any advise/recommendations you can have, throw at me.
Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
Hey @Maxy Million what a great opportunity! Generally the biggest cons to these are environmental impacts and restricted uses following the gas station leaving or going dark. Generally I'd take the same approach as any investment and ensure the location was sound. If the gas station is on a great intersection with access from both directions and lights to get in and out, and perhaps its on the outparcel of a major grocery, with car wash and or drive through potential....that to me is a 10/10 location and property.
Questions I'd have...how many years are left on that 20 year lease, do they have any options on the lease, and is there any underlying "ground leases" in the deal that you are absorbing somehow. Next I'd want to understand the municipalities master plan for the area and if there are any road changes/widening or redevelopments planned that will negatively impact your traffic counts, or your access to the site.
I'd also check on how that gas station is doing at a larger level, is it something like a buccees or a sheets with a cult following or is this a random mobile station that sells bait and tackle and serves as the general store for the entire town...both are great options but just require different underwriting in my mind.
Hey @Maxy Million what a great opportunity! Generally the biggest cons to these are environmental impacts and restricted uses following the gas station leaving or going dark. Generally I'd take the same approach as any investment and ensure the location was sound. If the gas station is on a great intersection with access from both directions and lights to get in and out, and perhaps its on the outparcel of a major grocery, with car wash and or drive through potential....that to me is a 10/10 location and property.
Questions I'd have...how many years are left on that 20 year lease, do they have any options on the lease, and is there any underlying "ground leases" in the deal that you are absorbing somehow. Next I'd want to understand the municipalities master plan for the area and if there are any road changes/widening or redevelopments planned that will negatively impact your traffic counts, or your access to the site.
I'd also check on how that gas station is doing at a larger level, is it something like a buccees or a sheets with a cult following or is this a random mobile station that sells bait and tackle and serves as the general store for the entire town...both are great options but just require different underwriting in my mind.
@Michael K Gallagher Thank you. Very thorough comment. Agree 100%. To answer your questions, this is a sale lease back so 20yrs from the closing. I am not sure about "ground leases" question, I will research it.