Best Resources For Commercial Real Estate Rookies

Best Resources For Commercial Real Estate Rookies

Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 2 votes

Hi everyone!

I want to preface this by saying I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to real estate investing, but the more books and resources I consume, the more I find myself gravitating towards commercial real estate, specifically hotels!

My long-term goal would be investing in large scale hotels, I know I know, that's quite ambitious, but I don't mind starting small and working my way up there, as long as I start from somewhere!

I'd love to learn more about investing in hotels and this type of properties, so please if you have any books/documentaries/any type of resource that I should definitely study before I venture in the wild, comment them below my post.

Thank you so much in advance!

2Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2018 · 295 posts · 208 votes
1y

Thanks so much for the mention, @Jonathan Greene! 🙌🏻

Hey Sara! I’d be happy to connect and share more about investing in boutique hotels or commercial real estate. Feel free to reach out anytime. I’m always excited to help others get started on this journey!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Look up @Blake Dailey. He runs the Boutique Hotel Conference and puts out a lot of content on hotels. You can see how a lot of people in this area started small and are going bigger.

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    I'd look up Diya Liu, she started in STR, bought motels, buys hotels now.

  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Thank you everyone for replying!

    I'll check out both Diya and Blake =)

  • Investor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2018 · 295 posts · 208 votes
    1y

    Thanks so much for the mention, @Jonathan Greene! 🙌🏻

    Hey Sara! I’d be happy to connect and share more about investing in boutique hotels or commercial real estate. Feel free to reach out anytime. I’m always excited to help others get started on this journey!

  • Investor · CA · Member since 2024 · 82 posts · 31 votes
    1y

    Response for Sara Salinaro:

    Hi Sara,

    I love the ambition—starting with a clear long-term goal like large-scale hotels is how you make big things happen! I’m also a newbie to commercial real estate, focusing on multifamily, but I’ve found that many principles overlap across asset types. A few resources that might help:

    • Books: The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller and How to Create Wealth Investing in Real Estate by Grant Cardone.

    • Documentaries: Check out The Queen of Versailles for insights into the challenges of hotel investments.

    • Podcasts: The BiggerPockets Commercial Real Estate Podcast has episodes on niche asset classes, including hotels.

    What’s drawn you to hotels specifically? I’d love to hear about your vision and share ideas as we both grow in this space. Let’s connect and learn together!

    Best,

    Anderson

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 408 votes
    1y

    Hotels are the baby of real estate investing and running a business.

    Unlike any other commercial asset class, hotels are extremely labor-intensive to run but can spit off ridiculous cash flow. The value of the hotel is based off of how well it's being operated.

    My advice would be to get a job in the hotel industry. Even if it's cleaning rooms, get a feel for the operations. Learn what PIPs are and how hotels are evaluated. 

    Then save up as much as you can and buy a small 6-15 room motel or partner to buy something larger

    Hotels are really expensive to get into as well. Which is why you may want to consider starting in multifamily and convert them to airbnbs which is what I did for a while.

    Best of luck to you. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.