Self Storage- Debt or No Debt???? Personal Economic Planning

Self Storage- Debt or No Debt???? Personal Economic Planning

Henry ClarkPro Member
Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

Each of us have our own Crystal Ball and outlooks, so not wanting to discuss which is the best or right. My crystal ball has been wrong the last 4 years and I understand why. My crystal ball says the following and I am taking actions towards that.

A. Stock market will crash 70%.

B. Interest rates and inflation will go double digit to 15%.

C. US dollar will devalue in the next 10 years from a Value of $1 down to $.20.

D. US won't recover for 20 years, till Manufacturing Re-shores. Luckily the US to me is the best and safest economy to recover in the world.

E. Property Insurance and Property Taxes will inflate at the above rates also to keep up with Coverage and Services.

Like all outlooks, Direction, Timing and Magnitude I will be wrong on all of them, but to what degree; but above are what I perceive and are planning for. With that said, please help me poke holes or challenge the following tactics, or note potential options. Self-Storage represents about 25% of our overall Wealth. We only have Debt on our Self Storage locations. Our other assets are split about 15% across 5 other asset classes, thus not worried if Self Storage unto itself fails.

Options:

  1. We have 4 locations. Sell enough locations to pay down the overall Debt.

  2. Refinance with SBA to get longer amort periods with no Balloon periods. 20 to 25 years with SBA; 10/5/5 with Local Participating bank.

  3. Refinance with local lenders with 20/25 amort period, with 5/7 year balloon periods.

  4. Pay down debt with other Assets.

  5. Sale all locations.

  6. ??????- Your Input

Self Storage:

Recognize most BP are not familiar with the business/risk side of Self Storage. Self Storage is a level Cash cow once you reach occupancy 70% or higher. All of ours are 99% or one rising to 93% and we are adding next month to that location. Self-storage does best in either a Bad or Good economy. The worst economy for Self-Storage is a Level one. Bad- people are downsizing and moving. Good- upsizing and moving. Level- less population churn. Rental rates are below Housing, Car rental, etc, thus closing their storage unit is further down the food chain, plus it helps them keep their things (Hope).

Customer base- we use a ratio of 6 storage unit whether 10/15/20 size per 100 people, not households. Our hometown has the highest I have seen anywhere in the US at 13 per 100 people. It's a specific situation in our Market. With that said, even if your 6 people move out, there are another 94 that will at some point possibly be your customer.

General Industry understanding- Self Storage is always good in a Bad Economy:

The above statement is true in a Normal Bad economy over a Normal recovery period. Where the above statement fails is if the Outlook I picture above occurs. There comes a point where both renters will stop paying and future renters will store in place. Also, both Insurance and Property Tax will inflate to a point that challenges owning any business.

Positive- if we can keep cashflowing expenses and P/I, our debt will be paid back in lower Dollar values, "Making" us money versus being in Cash. But we have to lock down the Interest terms and be able to handle inflation in Insurance and Property Taxes.

Negative- We can't cash flow expense increase and P/I. Then we have to be able to Access Nominal dollars from our other Assets to pay. Sounds simple, but if our Stocks went down 70%, if our other assets taking a heavy loss, we lose. We could keep Cash or Cash equivalents on hand to cover this situation, but they will have lost 90% of their value based on my outlook.

Again, not looking for why my outlook is wrong and yours is right. All about your financial resources, your risk management and your outlook.

With the above noted, what positions have you taken along these lines, or would you recommend I take a look at?

Thanks.

It's your money, your always Right, even if your wrong.

1Reply
233 views

Most Popular Reply

Accountant · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2026 · 90 posts · 47 votes
2d

Haha, @JD Martin 's garden plan might not be wrong. But if even half your outlook hits, the thing I'd worry about isn't the debt, it's the balloons. The 5/7 year ones put you refinancing right into the rate spike you're betting on. The SBA/long-fixed options flip that. A fixed 25 year note in a 15% inflation world quietly becomes the best asset you own, paid back in dimes.

Which is why I would hesitate to sell or pay it down to zero. You know the recapture and lost-deduction side better than I'd explain it, being in the chair yourself.

Honestly the thing that'd actually scare me in your scenario isn't the loan, it's insurance and property tax outrunning your rent increases. That's what I'd be stress-testing, not the debt.

Which way are you leaning?

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    2d

    If even some of your predictions come true then I'd rather have guns, a good vegetable garden and a well organized community watch group than a storage facility! 😂

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
    • Henry ClarkPro Member
      OP
      Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      2d

      @JD have all those. Grew up in a creek bottom in Louisiana. Truck farmed in high school and 2 years of college. Thanks for feedback.

  • Accountant · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2026 · 90 posts · 47 votes
    2d

    Haha, @JD Martin 's garden plan might not be wrong. But if even half your outlook hits, the thing I'd worry about isn't the debt, it's the balloons. The 5/7 year ones put you refinancing right into the rate spike you're betting on. The SBA/long-fixed options flip that. A fixed 25 year note in a 15% inflation world quietly becomes the best asset you own, paid back in dimes.

    Which is why I would hesitate to sell or pay it down to zero. You know the recapture and lost-deduction side better than I'd explain it, being in the chair yourself.

    Honestly the thing that'd actually scare me in your scenario isn't the loan, it's insurance and property tax outrunning your rent increases. That's what I'd be stress-testing, not the debt.

    Which way are you leaning?

  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 861 votes
    2d

    I wouldn’t try to predict whether all of those things happen. I’d build the plan so you can survive if some of them do.

    With 25% of your wealth in self-storage and debt on those properties, I’d probably focus first on the debt. Longer-term fixed-rate debt would be attractive to me if the properties can comfortably service it, even if the rate is a little higher today.

    I’d also want enough liquidity outside the properties to handle a period of higher insurance, taxes, vacancies and lower income without being forced to sell something at the wrong time.

    I probably wouldn’t sell good assets just to eliminate all debt. Debt can be a great tool when it’s fixed and manageable. The problem is having too much leverage when things don’t go according to plan.

    The question would be: What happens if revenue drops 20–30% while expenses rise substantially? If the portfolio can survive that scenario without selling assets, you’ve built a pretty strong margin of safety.

    I’d rather be slightly overprepared and have options than be forced into a decision because the cash ran out.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.