Helping A Friend Looking For An Internship w/ Construction Firms

Helping A Friend Looking For An Internship w/ Construction Firms

Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 807 posts · 274 votes

I have a friend who is currently looking for an internship with any large construction or engineering firm in the Atlanta, GA area. He is currently a civil engineering junior at Georgia Tech and looking for opportunities in both civil and mechanical engineering. Please contact me if you know of anyone at Holder or any other construction firms with civil or mechanical engineering internship opportunities.

Thanks! 

1Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate investor professional · Suwanee, GA · Member since 2016 · 233 posts · 81 votes
9y
Originally posted by @Marvin McTaw:

I have a friend who is currently looking for an internship with any large construction or engineering firm in the Atlanta, GA area. He is currently a civil engineering junior at Georgia Tech and looking for opportunities in both civil and mechanical engineering. Please contact me if you know of anyone at Holder or any other construction firms with civil or mechanical engineering internship opportunities.

Thanks! 

 Why don't you guys just reach out directly to their human resource Dept? I'm sure they will admire your interest in working in an internship with them. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate investor professional · Suwanee, GA · Member since 2016 · 233 posts · 81 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Marvin McTaw:

    I have a friend who is currently looking for an internship with any large construction or engineering firm in the Atlanta, GA area. He is currently a civil engineering junior at Georgia Tech and looking for opportunities in both civil and mechanical engineering. Please contact me if you know of anyone at Holder or any other construction firms with civil or mechanical engineering internship opportunities.

    Thanks! 

     Why don't you guys just reach out directly to their human resource Dept? I'm sure they will admire your interest in working in an internship with them. 

  • Contractor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 236 posts · 91 votes
    9y

    He could go through gatech to get an internship/co-op or just simply apply to large construction/engineering companies. Companies like holder,Balfour Beatty, turner construction are always hiring interns. Engineering is a little more difficult to get an internship with.  I went through gatech to get an internship when I went there and it went pretty well. 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Check out Enercon in Kennesaw. I used to work there and they hire both civil and mechanical interns with 95%+ of them being from Ga Tech

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 807 posts · 274 votes
    9y

    RE: directly reaching out to human resources department for internship

    @Ralph C. it's because achieving the end goal is usually easier when there is an introduction from a known quantity. I'd rather work through someone who knows someone than just cold emailing if possible. Cold emailing is not out of the question, but would rather try this avenue first.

    @Adam Abdel-Hafez - thanks you for the co-op idea. My understanding is he is already pursuing the formal internship avenues. His goal is to try hitting the problem from multiple angles at the same time. He knows I do real estate investing but unfortunately my work is currently primarily residential so I don't interface much with these types of organizations. I told him I would check with the network here to see if there's anyone who might be able to help.

    @Dennis R. - thanks for the suggestion! I'll encourage him to check it out. Do you known anyone in Enercon he could directly connect with? You can message me here on Bigger Pockets or shoot me a text message as well with the contact's information and background on them. 

  • Real Estate investor professional · Suwanee, GA · Member since 2016 · 233 posts · 81 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Marvin McTaw:

    RE: directly reaching out to human resources department for internship

    @Ralph C. it's because achieving the end goal is usually easier when there is an introduction from a known quantity. I'd rather work through someone who knows someone than just cold emailing if possible. Cold emailing is not out of the question, but would rather try this avenue first.

    @Adam Abdel-Hafez - thanks you for the co-op idea. My understanding is he is already pursuing the formal internship avenues. His goal is to try hitting the problem from multiple angles at the same time. He knows I do real estate investing but unfortunately my work is currently primarily residential so I don't interface much with these types of organizations. I told him I would check with the network here to see if there's anyone who might be able to help.

    @Dennis R. - thanks for the suggestion! I'll encourage him to check it out. Do you known anyone in Enercon he could directly connect with? You can message me here on Bigger Pockets or shoot me a text message as well with the contact's information and background on them. 

     I wasn't referring to "cold emailing", if you really want to intern just present yourself at the company or call the hr dept directly. When you want something bad enough you go and show up, introduce yourself and leave your resume. Remember, if it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.