Engineer · Monmouth Beach, NJ · Member since 2016 · 132 posts · 25 votes
Does anybody here do commercial flips or renovations? I believe it may be a good niche for myself. I would consider doing my own renovations, and potentially get licensed as a contractor and find my own clients.
I want to take distressed industrial/commercial spaces, and convert them into storefronts or creative spaces for small businesses, cowering spaces, artists, musicians.
I have worked in construction, civil engineering, and interior design so I can value-engineer the property to maximize the profits through flips. If I decided to hold onto it then I have considered opening my own retail business, renting the remaining space as storefronts, renting parking spaces etc. (I am envisioning converting an auto-garage with 4 bay doors into 4 stores with a new facade)
During the rehab I would be using the space for my own personal projects so the holding costs would not be a total waste. I pay rent for a personal workshop which I want to leave.
Please let me know your thoughts and any information to get me started. This is probably a high risk and specific niche for a beginner like myself.
Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y
The reason I think most people don't do this is because the "flipping period" can be quite long. If you're ok with that, then go ahead, but most commercial flips are re-positions which cost several hundred thousand and 1-2 years.
Any of my clients in commercial space, purchase old, renovate as needed (perhaps infrastructure and exterior immediately), but they don't kick out tenants or renovate the entire thing. they soak up the increase in rent before selling YMMV