Trying to buy a house that is section 8 tenant occupied.

Trying to buy a house that is section 8 tenant occupied.

Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes

Good afternoon everyone,

I’m trying to buy a house that is currently tenant occupied. The tenant has been there for 8 years. It’s a section 8 tenant so not sure if there is more that I need to be concerned about regarding laws or the fact that they are section 8. Should I try to avoid section 8 all together? Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Auburn, AL · Member since 2015 · 227 posts · 80 votes
7y

I've had a house for a few years now that had a section 8 tenant.  She lived there as a tenant for 12 years before I bought the house.  The only problem I had was when she got a job and her Section 8 payments dropped significantly.  She struggled quite a bit with making the rent on her low salary.  When her company went out of business this year and all the workers lost their jobs, Section 8 picked up most of her rent payment.  I can say that having a Section 8 tenant has been a good investment overall, but things can happen.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Buffalo NY · Member since 2017 · 68 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    @Nadir M.

    You did not mention in what city it is so it's hard to answer.

    In my market (Buffalo NY) i bought a two family home with a sec 8 tenant occupying one of the units, i had no problem increasing the rent to market value and my lawyer said that i can give them a 30 days notice to vacate (They were on a month to month lease).

    "Should I try to avoid section 8 all together?" Personally i think that it's all depend on the tenant itself, sec 8 has a lot of benefits and my tenant is great so far. Be aware that you cannot deny an applicant bc he is a sec 8 applicant. However, you can deny based on the income.

    Good luck.

  • Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes
    7y

    @Jo Weiss

    Thank you Jo. I liked the fact they’ve been there for 8 years. Helps my decision making process.

  • Rental Property Investor · Auburn, AL · Member since 2015 · 227 posts · 80 votes
    7y

    I've had a house for a few years now that had a section 8 tenant.  She lived there as a tenant for 12 years before I bought the house.  The only problem I had was when she got a job and her Section 8 payments dropped significantly.  She struggled quite a bit with making the rent on her low salary.  When her company went out of business this year and all the workers lost their jobs, Section 8 picked up most of her rent payment.  I can say that having a Section 8 tenant has been a good investment overall, but things can happen.

  • Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Also, make sure you check your fair housing laws in your area in regards to future tenants. Here is Erie county, as of May 2018, it is illegal to discriminate based on source of income which includes section 8.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.