Needs some guidance on a retail shopping center I have

Needs some guidance on a retail shopping center I have

Investor · CO · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Bought in 2011 for $1.1mil with $200K down owner carry at 5.85%.

CAP rate of 6 values it at $1.7mil. Rents are slightly below average for the area.

I need to do some capital improvements.  Roof, parking lot, sign and landscaping.  I'm figuring $150K.

I've had thoughts about selling too.  Not sure what I should do.  Keep and improve and possibly raise the rents.  Sell and 1031.  

If I decide to keep - what is the fastest and easiest way to borrow money for the improvements? Personal loan, LOC, Or should I lean the company the funds and pay myself the interest?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y

You could do a cash out refi. You should talk with some local commercial banks in the area and explore options. This way you can pull equity out tax free and keep the asset if it still cash flows. 

You definitely want to increase rents as much as possible before you sell if you decide to go that route. You can do a 1031 or invest the gaines in an opportunity zone project.

Lots of options.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    You could do a cash out refi. You should talk with some local commercial banks in the area and explore options. This way you can pull equity out tax free and keep the asset if it still cash flows. 

    You definitely want to increase rents as much as possible before you sell if you decide to go that route. You can do a 1031 or invest the gaines in an opportunity zone project.

    Lots of options.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ontario, Canada · Member since 2016 · 68 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    I would:

    1. lend funds to the company to do the improvements, 

    2. pay myself interest on the loan, 

    3. increase the rents,

    4. and then, once you have increased the value, either 1031 exchange or refinance.

  • Flipper · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2015 · 265 posts · 27 votes
    7y

    Hopefully you have a good idea of capital improvement and see where property?

    why would you 2. pay myself interest on the loan?

    What are the appreciation rates in the area?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.