How to tell if Commercial Property is Financed

How to tell if Commercial Property is Financed

Flipper/Rehabber · Toms River, NJ · Member since 2014 · 378 posts · 154 votes

Hi everyone! I’m still fairly new to commercial property investing but I will be putting my first offer in on a self storage property later this week and I have a question. Does anyone know if there is a way to find out if the owner of a property is currently financing the property or if they originally paid all cash? I’m asking because I think I may be able to use this to my advantage when it comes to negotiating. Just wondering if there are any tricks out there with regard to finding this out without coming right out to the seller and asking them directly (which I’d prefer not to do).

Thank you!!!

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 304 posts · 462 votes
6y

Whether the seller paid cash or financed the purchase is irrelevant in most cases. The one exception is if the mortgage can be assumed. The seller is not going to adjust his price because he has 100% equity. If he paid cash, he might be in a position to hold seller financing. Most sellers will usually hold a note for no more than 5 years. Even then, you will likely have to pay a slightly higher than market rate. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Matthew Rembish

    At least in NJ, some/most counties have their record electronically available. So, you can search public records from your home and look up the deeds and mortgages... try the applicable county website and go to the county clerk page or something for doing a public record search

    Good luck

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Toms River, NJ · Member since 2014 · 378 posts · 154 votes
    6y

    @David M. Thank you, David!

  • Investor · Bentonville, AR · Member since 2014 · 759 posts · 379 votes
    6y

    @Matthew Rembish Are you looking for owner finance? If so, I just ask directly if they have any debt on the property.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 304 posts · 462 votes
    6y

    Whether the seller paid cash or financed the purchase is irrelevant in most cases. The one exception is if the mortgage can be assumed. The seller is not going to adjust his price because he has 100% equity. If he paid cash, he might be in a position to hold seller financing. Most sellers will usually hold a note for no more than 5 years. Even then, you will likely have to pay a slightly higher than market rate. 

  • Specialist · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2018 · 152 posts · 66 votes
    6y

    @Matthew Rembish To follow up on what has already been said. You have to look up your local tax assessors website. There will be a page where you can search by name, parcel number etc. Whether or not the property has a mortgage will be on the results page.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Toms River, NJ · Member since 2014 · 378 posts · 154 votes
    6y

    @Zach Quick Hi Zach, I was going to do that but I like to find out as much information on my own as I can. I like to know if they’re telling the truth.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Toms River, NJ · Member since 2014 · 378 posts · 154 votes
    6y

    Thanks everyone for your input!

  • Full time investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 405 posts · 312 votes
    6y

    Even better, take the lazy approach and call your banker or title person whom you should have a great relationship with and ask them to get the details.  They will often find a ton of info.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.