Right to secure and winterize foreclosure property purchased at trustee auction-

Right to secure and winterize foreclosure property purchased at trustee auction-

Investor · White Haven PA · Member since 2014 · 362 posts · 221 votes

I see many lenders our area "PG COUNTY MD" enter foreclosure properties before the actual sale and change the locks and winterize the properties to prevent damage. They do this to protect the property prior to to the foreclosure auction. 

I purchased a property in November and think the property is vacant but not sure. I have left notes on the door and they are removed but I never hear back from anyone.  The weather here is getting sub freezing and I don't want the pipes to break.  Can I have a locksmith drill out the locks and enter the property like the bank does in order to winterize and protect the property?  Or do I need to file for eviction not knowing if anyone is living there? (Eviction is currently taking 6 months in our county)

0Reply
16 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    @Ray Slack, I believe its somewhere in the mortgage documentation that if the owner abandons the property they can secure and preserve it. Something along those lines. So, that usually happens BEFORE the sheriff's sale where many times they end up buying the property to resell.

    Did you get the deed to the property yet? Technically you shouldn't touch the property until you have the deed although I'm some buyer's do.

    Are utilities turned on? You can see if the electric meter is spinning for example. If not, I would post a notice that I own the property and plan to enter at a certain day and time. This way if there are people still living there they have property notice you plan to enter. That may get a response.

    If utilities are off and people claim to be living there, contact code enforcement. In my area if the water is off, they will generally mark the place uninhabitable and that forces any occupants to leave. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.