"Detective Work" on a Foreclosed Property (Calling the Utility Companies)

"Detective Work" on a Foreclosed Property (Calling the Utility Companies)

Investor · WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State · Member since 2024 · 151 posts · 133 votes

I'm new to foreclosure auctions.  There's a property in the neighborhood I grew up in that I'm going to bid on. 

Read through the court documents online and it doesn't appear that the owner on title attended any hearings or tried to stop the foreclosure.  The proceedings went on for two years because the mortgage company couldn't show that the house was vacant but also couldn't prove that the notice was delivered/received by the prior owner.  It sounded like they suspected he was not living there but couldn't figure out where he was.   

As part of my research, I was thinking I'd call the utility companies to get some information.  Is it common place to call the utility companies to get information on electric, gas, water and garbage pick up? I'm curious to see if any of the utilities are on, how much is due, and when they were turned off.  Will the utility company give me this information or no because of privacy laws?

0Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
2y

also in the future this is what I do to see if I think a property is occuppied.

1. drive by 

2. knock on door.

3. try to look in mail box if there is bunchs of mail thats an indicator.

4. look at power meter if its running or not.

5. Look in windows etc..  

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State · Member since 2024 · 151 posts · 133 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Kristine Ann:

    I'm new to foreclosure auctions.  There's a property in the neighborhood I grew up in that I'm going to bid on. 

    Read through the court documents online and it doesn't appear that the owner on title attended any hearings or tried to stop the foreclosure.  The proceedings went on for two years because the mortgage company couldn't show that the house was vacant but also couldn't prove that the notice was delivered/received by the prior owner.  It sounded like they suspected he was not living there but couldn't figure out where he was.   

    As part of my research, I was thinking I'd call the utility companies to get some information.  Is it common place to call the utility companies to get information on electric, gas, water and garbage pick up? I'm curious to see if any of the utilities are on, how much is due, and when they were turned off.  Will the utility company give me this information or no because of privacy laws?

    The utilities can't legally give you that information.

    Drive by the property and see if the lights are on. Send a letter to the address and see if it gets returned. Plenty of ways to find out if a property is occupied. 

    But being occupied doesn't make them the owner. There are faster ways.

    Right, there could be a squatter.  I'm pretty sure its vacant.  I just want to get as much information as possible before I take on this potential headache. Sending a letter is good idea.  I will try that.

    The lights haven't been on, but that doesn't necessarily mean the electricity is off. I remember getting information as a new buyer from the utilities in the past, but I was already under contract.  They gave me dates of shut off and dates the utilities changed name.  I was under contract but not the owner yet.  Wasn't sure if you could call as a potential buyer and get that same information.

  • Investor · WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State · Member since 2024 · 151 posts · 133 votes
    2y
    Yes, right.  Not a buyer. 

    I'm only around in that area on some weekends, so I don't know if the trash getting taken out. That is something I was thinking of just calling the two garbage companies in the area to see if there's an active account for that address.  The grass isn't too overgrown, but we are just coming out of a harsh winter here and there are a lot of deer.
  • Paradise, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kristine Ann:

    I'm new to foreclosure auctions.  There's a property in the neighborhood I grew up in that I'm going to bid on. 

    Read through the court documents online and it doesn't appear that the owner on title attended any hearings or tried to stop the foreclosure.  The proceedings went on for two years because the mortgage company couldn't show that the house was vacant but also couldn't prove that the notice was delivered/received by the prior owner.  It sounded like they suspected he was not living there but couldn't figure out where he was.   

    As part of my research, I was thinking I'd call the utility companies to get some information.  Is it common place to call the utility companies to get information on electric, gas, water and garbage pick up? I'm curious to see if any of the utilities are on, how much is due, and when they were turned off.  Will the utility company give me this information or no because of privacy laws?


     Why would you have any care of concern about utilities? What does that have to do with bidding on a foreclosure? if you bid and win and its not occupied, move in or rent it or sell it. If it is occupied, evict, move in or rent it or sell it.

  • Paradise, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Ron S.:
    Quote from @Kristine Ann:

    I'm new to foreclosure auctions.  There's a property in the neighborhood I grew up in that I'm going to bid on. 

    Read through the court documents online and it doesn't appear that the owner on title attended any hearings or tried to stop the foreclosure.  The proceedings went on for two years because the mortgage company couldn't show that the house was vacant but also couldn't prove that the notice was delivered/received by the prior owner.  It sounded like they suspected he was not living there but couldn't figure out where he was.   

    As part of my research, I was thinking I'd call the utility companies to get some information.  Is it common place to call the utility companies to get information on electric, gas, water and garbage pick up? I'm curious to see if any of the utilities are on, how much is due, and when they were turned off.  Will the utility company give me this information or no because of privacy laws?


     Why would you have any care of concern about utilities? What does that have to do with bidding on a foreclosure? if you bid and win and its not occupied, move in or rent it or sell it. If it is occupied, evict, move in or rent it or sell it.

    Because she wants to know who the owner is, so she can buy it before the sale. 

     ...which she isn't going to get from a utility company. She said nothing about buying it before sale. She said was going to "Bid". That really does mean at sale, not before. I get bidding probably means something different for you but in this context, a foreclosure sale, it means she will try to buy it at the public sale.

    I know your feelings are still hurt from my other post. Maybe you can troll some more of my posts and try to pick them apart? I can wait...

  • Investor · WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State · Member since 2024 · 151 posts · 133 votes
    2y

    Thank you both for contributing.  The owner is no where to be found from what I can tell.  I will be bidding and not buying. 

    My main concern is the condition of a house through two extreme winters.  We have a lot of precipitation and freezing temperatures.  Houses can't be sitting vacant through the winters around here without the potential for serious damage.

    My main concern is flooding, for one.  If the electric has been off for two years, the sump pump is not working and the basement will be flooded.  And if the heat hasn't been on at all, due to freezing in the winters, there could also easily be busted pipes and flooding on the main floor as well. Knowing if the utilities have been on is a good clue as to the condition of the interior.

    I'm also trying to strategize what to do if there is an occupant, but my main concern is the condition of the house. 

  • Paradise, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Ron S.:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Ron S.:
    Quote from @Kristine Ann:

    I'm new to foreclosure auctions.  There's a property in the neighborhood I grew up in that I'm going to bid on. 

    Read through the court documents online and it doesn't appear that the owner on title attended any hearings or tried to stop the foreclosure.  The proceedings went on for two years because the mortgage company couldn't show that the house was vacant but also couldn't prove that the notice was delivered/received by the prior owner.  It sounded like they suspected he was not living there but couldn't figure out where he was.   

    As part of my research, I was thinking I'd call the utility companies to get some information.  Is it common place to call the utility companies to get information on electric, gas, water and garbage pick up? I'm curious to see if any of the utilities are on, how much is due, and when they were turned off.  Will the utility company give me this information or no because of privacy laws?


     Why would you have any care of concern about utilities? What does that have to do with bidding on a foreclosure? if you bid and win and its not occupied, move in or rent it or sell it. If it is occupied, evict, move in or rent it or sell it.

    Because she wants to know who the owner is, so she can buy it before the sale. 

     ...which she isn't going to get from a utility company. She said nothing about buying it before sale. She said was going to "Bid". That really does mean at sale, not before. I get bidding probably means something different for you but in this context, a foreclosure sale, it means she will try to buy it at the public sale.

    I know your feelings are still hurt from my other post. Maybe you can troll some more of my posts and try to pick them apart? I can wait...

    Not needed, continue being nasty and objectionable as you wish, ;-)

     Continue being triggerred.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kristine Ann:

    Thank you both for contributing.  The owner is no where to be found from what I can tell.  I will be bidding and not buying. 

    My main concern is the condition of a house through two extreme winters.  We have a lot of precipitation and freezing temperatures.  Houses can't be sitting vacant through the winters around here without the potential for serious damage.

    My main concern is flooding, for one.  If the electric has been off for two years, the sump pump is not working and the basement will be flooded.  And if the heat hasn't been on at all, due to freezing in the winters, there could also easily be busted pipes and flooding on the main floor as well. Knowing if the utilities have been on is a good clue as to the condition of the interior.

    I'm also trying to strategize what to do if there is an occupant, but my main concern is the condition of the house. 


    maybe best to let this go through the system and buy as an OREO.. unless your picking it for pennies.
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y

    also in the future this is what I do to see if I think a property is occuppied.

    1. drive by 

    2. knock on door.

    3. try to look in mail box if there is bunchs of mail thats an indicator.

    4. look at power meter if its running or not.

    5. Look in windows etc..  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.