Is it possible WAMU will lower my principal?

Is it possible WAMU will lower my principal?

AL · Member since 2008 · 25 posts · 1 vote

We have an investment property that we bought in 2004. We had an adjustable rate mortgage, so we refinanced in 2006 to a fixed rate, because we were to afraid of what the rate would be if we waited longer. We have a first and second mortgage. Both are thru Washington Mutual. We are current on all payments and have a 800 credit score.

The FMV of the property is about half what it was in 2004. Our first WAMU mortgage is for $315K, the second with WAMU is for 23K. The last condos in the same building like ours, went for 190K-226K with the 190K being the most recent sale. I believe they were short sales and foreclosures. The lowest priced one is listed for $245K and it hasn't sold for months.

My question is: Is there any chance WAMU would lower my principal to FMV and let me keep the property? I have spoken with them about a short sale and they have told me to list the property at FMV. If my principal amount could be the same as a new buyer's will be, on short sale, I could afford to keep it.

If this is impossible, we do plan to sell short. There are so many SS and foreclosures, it will take years before the value comes back, if ever. There is overbuilding in the area, too. I do rent it an do well enough that if my principal was lowered, I would be able to come out on it.

Thank you!

0Reply
56 views

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • AL · Member since 2008 · 25 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    Caitlyn,
    Thanks again for your response.

    I knew when I typed that message that collapse would be the outcome of my suggestions. I don't want that, of course. You are also correct regarding putting this in perspective.

    Is a modification even worth attempting on a second home? If I negotiated with WAMU to add the second mortgage to the first, spead to 40 years so I can wait out the decrease in values (may take 40 years in Panama City Beach) and lower my interest rate, what would be the lowest interest rate I would have a chance of negotiating? Would I even have a chance at a lower interest rate since it is an second home? We are currently at 6.625% on the first and 9% or so on the second owing 23K on it. Is the current rate still at 6%?

    We have contacted WAMU about a short sale so they have it noted in our file. I really don't want to do that, even if it were possible.

    I don't know if any of this matters, we have made all payments timely and I have even paid a few months ahead on the second mortgage. while the rent was high. We have a very high credit rating and have never defaulted or been late on a payment in our lives.

    Seriously, I want to thank everyone for your imput.

    dmj4

  • CA · Member since 2008 · 277 posts · 11 votes
    17y

    dmj4, here's the thing. I've done short sales on 2nd homes and investment properties, so your property being a 2nd home isn't a bar to a short sale. I don't know about a loan modification.

    The reason you would give for hardship is:

    "I have been asked to explain the reason for requesting approval of a short sale. The general decline of the economy forces liquidation. I am requesting permission to short sale this property to avoid further deterioration of the bank's collateral. Signed,"

    There's not a whole lot more to say than that.

    If you consent to a short sale, the seasoning period for you to qualify for another Agency (Fannie/Freddie) loan is two years vs. five years for foreclosure. At this point, the subject property isn't a viable business asset. The only compelling reason to keep it is to preserve your credit, but the practical reality is your FICO score will be compromised (not destroyed) for at least two years.

    Face the music on the tax due for phantom income via 1099, square your shoulders and keep investing--this time with more insight gained from this experience.

  • Rehabber · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 802 votes
    17y

    dmj4- I run into a lot of investors who are in your position. I belong to an investment club and am asked to buy them out. Now, with short sales, I can get 30 to 40 percent off of FMV, so after I tell them my offer, they usually cringe and say no way.

    Caitlyn is right, your better off selling short and live to fight another day. There is an opportunity of a lifetime in real esate today. It is doubtful that any of us will ever get this chance again to buy real estate at such discounts. The other day I bought a 2 year old home for 68 dollars a square foot!! That is 25% below replacement value.

    I tell you this because you should be thinking about particpating in making new money not trying to count lost money!!

  • AL · Member since 2008 · 25 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    Scott,
    If I bought something now, wouldn't it interfere with my short sale? I have not started the process, yet. Should I try and buy something now, before it hits my credit? Are you just buying homes or all types of properties? What are you doing with them while you hold them or do you plan to try and sell for whatever gain you can get right now?

  • AL · Member since 2008 · 25 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    I got a letter and Chase took my mortgage from WAMU on the property I want to SS. Any tips for dealing with Chase on a short sale?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.