Where to find a list of loans in imminent default?

Where to find a list of loans in imminent default?

Business Development Executive · Arlington, TX · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 1 vote

So I know of the various avenues to source a foreclosure and pre-foreclosure list, but I wanted to dig a bit further and see if it's possible to locate loans in imminent default- that is a loan that has defaulted less than 60 days. Can anyone hit me with some knowledge? Thanks!

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Dion DePaoliPro Member
Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y

A loan that is less than 60 days past due is not imminent default.  It is delinquent.  

0 to 29 days past due = current
30 to 89 days past due = delinquent
90+ days past due = default

In a primary/secondary residential loan Notice of Default can not be filed until the loan is 120 days past due.  

That I know of there are no sources for delinquent loans other than what a loan seller publishes for sale.  Notice of Default or Lis Pendis is the constructive notice which many FC lists use to add addresses.  Prior to that publishing that sort of data could be a breach of privacy onto the borrower by the lender.  

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dion DePaoliPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    A loan that is less than 60 days past due is not imminent default.  It is delinquent.  

    0 to 29 days past due = current
    30 to 89 days past due = delinquent
    90+ days past due = default

    In a primary/secondary residential loan Notice of Default can not be filed until the loan is 120 days past due.  

    That I know of there are no sources for delinquent loans other than what a loan seller publishes for sale.  Notice of Default or Lis Pendis is the constructive notice which many FC lists use to add addresses.  Prior to that publishing that sort of data could be a breach of privacy onto the borrower by the lender.  

  • Business Development Executive · Arlington, TX · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Dion DePaoli Yeah you're right, because by definition alone, as soon as a payment is missed it is considered delinquent. I was just going by Freddie Mac's interpretation of "imminent default" as can be seen in their webpage 

    http://www.freddiemac.com/singlefamily/service/too... 

    But thanks for mentioning the Notice of Default because that's essentially what I was getting at. It would be opportune to get to the borrower before the Notice is issued and be the first one contacting them before they get bombarded. Now that you mention it, the privacy issue does make sense, so I guess it's driving for dollars it is then! 

  • Specialist · Northridge, CA · Member since 2014 · 40 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    @Amr Makki I agree with @Dion DePaoli , there isn't anything that I know of where this type of info can be found. Its not public records until the NOD is filed.

    Do you work a lot of Short Sales & distressed properties in Texas?

    I provide NOD list, NOTS list, and canceled foreclosure list to big agents going after Short Sale.

    Message me if you are interested.

  • Business Development Executive · Arlington, TX · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Jorge Vega I'm working wholesales/flips. I wanted to get a jump start at reaching out to distressed borrowers before a NOD hits and everyone reaches out to them. I've come across "credit derived" list brokers who can provide very segmented lists for delinquent borrowers at 30/60/90/120, but I wanted to see if anyone had success with this route.

  • Specialist · Northridge, CA · Member since 2014 · 40 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    @Amr Makki well if you have access to something like that then you should be golden. It sound like you would in a way have access to others credit reports ? or is it just for mortgage accounts?

    in regards to the NOD and NOTS list, let me know if that ever interest you. Im part of a big loss mitigation firm and we wouldn't charge for the list however we would be interested in processing the transaction for any of the ones that are in a short sale postion that turn into listings.

    Either way please let me know a little more about what you are referring to, it sounds interesting.

  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 105 posts · 68 votes
    10y

    You can search the county register for assignment of deed of trust or appointment of successor trustee.  That might give you a few days lead time.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Amr Makki  having done this for quite some time  ( past life and prior to anti skimming laws being passed on the west coast)  I found that when this first happens to borrowers they are in major denial... and are NOT motivated to do anything..

    they then as you say get bombarded with letters .. after reading about 50 of those they realize the verbiage in many is literally verbatim the same and they tune out the direct mail folks.. ( now you can get some response but its going to be as you know sheer luck)

    The way to land these is just wait until about 10 days before the sale and if nothing has happened then you pound on the door and start to get reporte' they probably will still be in denial.. the best deals are made 1 to 3 days before they lose it... you cannot believe how many will actually wait to the day before the sale.. that's when I got my very best deals.

    if it has an opening bid and its the day before my team is pounding on the door.

    my driver is ready to drive cashiers check to trustee and we record our deed that day.

    if you want the screaming deals that how its done.   you reinstate  and if need be you cash out the entire 1st if you only have to bring it current then you pay off balance shortly there after.  you must have a great title company that will give you a date down on the phone day before etc.. and you will take some risk... but that's part of the game

  • Business Development Executive · Arlington, TX · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Jorge Vega Not the credit report itself, but there are a few "list compilers" out there like Acxiom and Experian who create data derived from these reports and sell them off to list brokers who in turn retail to people like you and I. Think of it this way, you know those pre-approved line of credit offers you get in the mail? The companies sending those got your information through this process. I'll keep you in the loop if I venture to NOD/NOTS.

  • Business Development Executive · Arlington, TX · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Account Closed Thanks for that tid bit, totally didn't think of that. Have you had some success that way in previous deals?

  • Business Development Executive · Arlington, TX · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs Thanks for the in depth info! That's a pretty good method and makes the driving for dollars pretty efficient. I'll need to lock in some local private lenders with cash on hand to work in such a tight time frame. I'll be reaching out to you directly for more questions!

  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 105 posts · 68 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Amr Makki:

    @Account Closed Thanks for that tid bit, totally didn't think of that. Have you had some success that way in previous deals?

     Working on it.  Newbie here. ;)

    I use google spreadsheets at importxml calls to automate the process as much as possible.  I've got a stack of letters I'm running to the post office ASAP.

  • Business Development Executive · Arlington, TX · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Account Closed when you get that first deal message me and let me know how it goes! I'm keen to know. Good luck!

  • Jake ThompsonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Albany, OR · Member since 2015 · 312 posts · 136 votes
    9y

    @Amr Makki, any luck finding foreclosure deals?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.