Mississippi Tax Liens: any experts or experience?

Mississippi Tax Liens: any experts or experience?

Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 446 posts · 305 votes

Does anyone have experience with purchasing  tax lien properties  in Mississippi? 

0Reply
76 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
9y

@Bryan Knight you probably know I was the largest HML in Mississppi pre 08 and spent a ton of time in Jackson... and am still quite active there.

One day at my normal after work watering hole I got to talking to a nice guy at the bar.. he said he was a used car dealer..

I asked him how do you sell these cars ( I saw ads for 100 down) with so low down and you carry the contract are you not worried about someone buying one and then driving off to New Orleans or somewhere else.

He said Boy  my clients will be born  live and die in a 5 square miles.. If they don't pay we just drive around till we find the car and then load it up....

it was then I realized some folks simply do not travel..

Travel to me is the greatest gift of our age.... 1k bucks and 15 hours and your on the other side of the world.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    I do its a mad house.. bought them and they never redeemed so I think I blew 20k and forgot about it.  LOL... not for me.. its a business I think . not an investment

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 446 posts · 305 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    I do its a mad house.. bought them and they never redeemed so I think I blew 20k and forgot about it.  LOL... not for me.. its a business I think . not an investment

    I have 1 week to become "knowledgeable" as someone is sponsoring my trip to Biloxi/Harrison County to scout for properties prior to their auction.  Y'all know I don't leave outside of Alabama so this will be my first trip across the western state line.  I've read all the information I could about Mississippi liens online.  The Mississippi forum here is not active at all.  I know they have a 2yr redemption but as always folks like to gamble and roll the dice on them not redeeming.,..,...not that it matters this ain't my money.

    I need information on areas in Harrison County that are NOT A or B class.  I am looking for C & D....maybe B-.   And any information on areas that are experiencing gentrification. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    this is not something that is going to be workable.. you cannot scout properties very easy unless you just looking in the worst neighborhoods.. most will get redeemed.. not only that the sale goes very fast and its almost impossible to bid on the one's you want.. you may want to just go to a sale first see how it flows then see if its something you want to do.

    hard for me to fathom not ever leaving the state.. but I guess there are a lot of home bodies as well as guys like me that do nothing but travel.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 24 votes
    9y

    I looked into my home county (Jones) and they only do tax lien sales once a year in August. I plan to go down there this year to check it out. @Jay Hinrichs what happened at the end of the redemption period when they were not redeemed for you? Did you have opportunity to acquire the properties? 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Bryan Knight  to be honest I forgot about them  and just never followed up  I lost my 20k..

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 24 votes
    9y

    And oh yea @Jay Hinrichs I'm like the odd ball out of my family that lives in rural Mississippi. They don't travel at all. They live in this bubble that you don't realize until you get outside of it and start experiencing other places and cultures. Joining the Air Force was the best thing for me. Took me all over the world. Lived in Japan for 4 years and went everywhere in the Pacific. I feel in love with experiencing other cultures and could never go back to bubble world of knowing everyone in your little town and not having real opportunities for growth. I always say "It's a great place to retire, but not to build your business or career." 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Bryan Knight you probably know I was the largest HML in Mississppi pre 08 and spent a ton of time in Jackson... and am still quite active there.

    One day at my normal after work watering hole I got to talking to a nice guy at the bar.. he said he was a used car dealer..

    I asked him how do you sell these cars ( I saw ads for 100 down) with so low down and you carry the contract are you not worried about someone buying one and then driving off to New Orleans or somewhere else.

    He said Boy  my clients will be born  live and die in a 5 square miles.. If they don't pay we just drive around till we find the car and then load it up....

    it was then I realized some folks simply do not travel..

    Travel to me is the greatest gift of our age.... 1k bucks and 15 hours and your on the other side of the world.

  • Investor · Jackson, MS · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 769 votes
    9y

    But Bryan, your family is all over the big screen! 

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 446 posts · 305 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Bryan Knight  to be honest I forgot about them  and just never followed up  I lost my 20k..

     From my readings, Mississippi requires you to do follow up notification with the previous owner and the chancery clerk and a whole bunch of extra stuff.  Failure to do so means you lose your money and any possible rights to possession.  I hate doing extra stuff.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 24 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Susan Maneck:

    But Bryan, your family is all over the big screen! 

     Yea you're right about that! :-) That's still pretty cool to me. Was awesome seeing it played out on the big screen!

  • Investor · Jackson, MS · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 769 votes
    9y

    For those of you who don't know what we are talking about you can find out all about Jones County and the Knight family here: 

    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/true-story-f...

  • Real Estate Agent · Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 55 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    Anastasia, so how did your tax lien search go? Were you able to find OTC (over the counter) tax liens online or did you need go to w/e office made them available to the public? Or were you going to target liens at an auction? I am an tax lien and tax deed investor in multiple states all across the US. Just started investing in tax lien/deeds so I'm interested in networking with you.
  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 446 posts · 305 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Luis Aguilar:

    Anastasia, so how did your tax lien search go? Were you able to find OTC (over the counter) tax liens online or did you need go to w/e office made them available to the public? Or were you going to target liens at an auction?

    I am an tax lien and tax deed investor in multiple states all across the US. Just started investing in tax lien/deeds so I'm interested in networking with you.

     Luis Aguilar please PM me your contact info.

  • Wholesaler · Lehi, UT · Member since 2015 · 333 posts · 144 votes
    9y

    @Anastasia Jordan You can look here and find things that are available

    http://www.sos.ms.gov/Public-Lands/Pages/Tax-Forfe...

    As over the counter forfeited lands.  Let us know how your search goes.

  • Real Estate Agent · Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 55 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    Sorry I don't know how to pm or to send a direct message? Sorry I been on this app for only a week
  • Real Estate Agent · Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 55 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    @josh thank you for that link! Looks like the "forfeited lands" are deeds one can purchase OTC. Tons of due diligence needs to be done before the purchase of one of the homes in the inventory but thank you for this link! I'm been researching otc liens and deeds so hopefully I find what I'm looking for in MS.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.