Buy at auction or wait for REO?

Buy at auction or wait for REO?

Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 171 posts · 27 votes

There’s a house to be auctioned in June. The balance on the loan is about $195K, the purchase price was about 240K. It was purchased weeks before the crash. Present ARV is about $130-140K.
I want to be as certain as possible that this is the first loan and there is no other. I would have a title co do a search for liens or work with an investor and have her do the searches.
Is it better to use one over the other?

I have not been in the house. It has been vacant for a few months and is locked. It was rented for a couple of years, to at least two groups, one family, one a couple of men. The outside that I can see looks good.

Another question:
The same model was recently listed for $117,000 as an REO. I saw it and turned it down because of location. I, with untrained eye, saw about 25K in repairs to make it sellable. ARV on that REO should be about the same, $130-140K.
I just checked the mls. That property is still listed as active.
Is it safe to assume that even investors don’t see it as worth $117K, or that things are not moving well yet?

The only differences I can see are location and size.
The one I want has a better location and a 400‘sq ft addition, a family room.
The lot is a little larger. Taxes are higher.

What is the bank likely to do? The banks are different. Will this bank bid up to its loan amount and sell it as REO? Will it let it go at a much lower price?
From what I’m reading here, the top that I should pay is about $85000. Is the bank likely to let it go at that price? Is it likely that this bank will come down to the asking price of it’s twin--$117K?

Would you let it go REO and purchase then, rather than trying to get it at auction?
MRead

0Reply
44 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    16y

    I would determine ahead of time whether this was the senior lien loan or not; if so, I would next arrive at my maximum auction bid and attend the auction, being prepared to bid up to my max number. Before going to auction, I would make a phone call to find out the bank's bid first; if it is above my max number - there's no point in going.

    If it becomes REO, then I do what it takes to track it down to make my offer.

    That's what I would do (and what I do do too).

  • Real Estate Investor · Craigmont, ID · Member since 2009 · 564 posts · 239 votes
    16y

    I would do some research and find out what lenders are doing in your area. 99% of the auctions around here the opening bid would be 195K+ interest, attorneys’ fees, taxes paid by the lender and any other advanced funds. Check to see if the foreclosure attorney (trustee) has a website where they will sometimes post the opening bid several days before the sale.

    If not call the foreclosure attorney's office a week before the sale and ask what the opening bid will be. I tracked quite a few for several months and did not find a single “deal†in my area. There was one where the opening bid was dropped from 220k (owed) to 150k but I had determined the top dollar I would pay was only 120k so no deal.

    You need a few days to have title work done so you know what you are buying.

    The process of tracking foreclosures can be daunting as cancellations, postponements and rescheduling is enough to make my head spin.

    Best of luck

  • Pleasant Hill, CA · Member since 2008 · 428 posts · 43 votes
    16y

    I normally feel safer making an offer on an REO. The Court Steps often feels like you are swimming with Sharks and I don't have money to burn on a bad deal.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.