Do you use the bank's title co. or pay for your own?

Do you use the bank's title co. or pay for your own?

Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes

In light of recent problems with the REO deeds, would it be worth it to shop around for a title company rather than accepting the bank's choice? How would you choose one title co. over another?

0Reply
73 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
15y

I almost always insist on using my title company because I know they will do it right. Ask around at your local REIA for the best one to use.

NAT in Round Rock is excellent for those in the Austin area. Penny Good is probably one of the best in the state.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    I almost always insist on using my title company because I know they will do it right. Ask around at your local REIA for the best one to use.

    NAT in Round Rock is excellent for those in the Austin area. Penny Good is probably one of the best in the state.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y

    I always use my own title company, for several reasons:

    - They can close much faster (literally 2-3 days if the seller's attorney cooperates, as opposed to 4-6 weeks if I use the seller's attorney)

    - They cost much less (since I do a lot of work with them, they only charge $200 for attorney fees vs $600 for the typical REO attorney)

    - I trust they'll get it right

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
    15y

    Bryan-

    I've heard banks are not that willing to let the buyer choose the title company. How many deals have you been able to close this way? Are certains banks more likely to allow this? Is it in your initial offer or counters?

    Thanks

  • Real Estate Investor · Tampa Bay, FL · Member since 2009 · 180 posts · 17 votes
    15y

    Good question Wheelhouse. I wonder if you have a better chance of it getting accepted if you use their title company?

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by wheelhouse:
    Bryan-

    I've heard banks are not that willing to let the buyer choose the title company. How many deals have you been able to close this way? Are certains banks more likely to allow this? Is it in your initial offer or counters?

    Thanks


    in my state there's a law that buyer can choose their own title co.
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y

    Banks are always going to use their own title company for their side of the closing. Used to be that they expected buyers to use that same company.

    Legally, things have changed (I believe this is nationally), and banks must allow buyers to use their own title companies for the buyer's side of the close.

    So, my title company will pull title, do title searches, prepare the HUD and do the signing, while the seller's attorney will take care of the deed, providing the seller's numbers for the HUD and getting seller signatures.

  • Anson YoungBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 726 votes
    15y

    Buyer can choose in most states, the seller will only pay if you go with theirs. I usually go with the sellers title co, they do so many closings for that bank they dont mess things up usually. SInce i'm on the REO side, I know most of the closers too. I always try and get a hold open so when I sell the property again, I get a discount.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.