Negotiating with the bank

Negotiating with the bank

SFR Investor · Newport News, VA · Member since 2013 · 6 posts · 0 votes

I an a new member from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia and could some feedback on a deal I am trying to finish. I am a buy and hold investor of three townhouse properties over the past 20 years, one of which was a rehab. In the last few years I sold two of the properties and I am looking to pick another for a hold.

I found a 2br/1.5ba townhouse REO property owned by one of the big national banks. It was listed for $61,000 and had been on the market for four months with only one lowball offer. I wrote a contract for $50,000 and the bank countered at $60,700. Weeks later I checked and no other offers had come in so I asked the listing agent to resubmit my $50,000 offer. She advised the bank was dropping the price to $52,000 and letting an auction company sell it at an auction. I told her $50k wasn't far from $52k and told her I would buy it for the $52k. They said no, it's going to auction.

I showed up at the auction and I was the high bid at $34,000. The auctioneer looked like he wanted me to keep bidding, but the only other bidder said he was out, so it was over. He said the banks reserve was $49,000, so my bid was not accepted.

I would be willing to split the difference and go to $42,000, but I get the feeling the bank will not budge. The property is not as bad as it might sound and I know I can make it very nice and make money on it. I liked it at $50,000, but I feel like the market has spoken too. Hold out, or go back to their reserve price?

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
13y

Usually the big banks will stick to their reserves. If they don't get it they will put it back on the market or send it to auction again. 49k is less than you wanted to pay so why not accept it? Auction sales don't usually show true market value because they aren't advertised well and if its cash only terms it knocks out a lot of buyers.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Usually the big banks will stick to their reserves. If they don't get it they will put it back on the market or send it to auction again. 49k is less than you wanted to pay so why not accept it? Auction sales don't usually show true market value because they aren't advertised well and if its cash only terms it knocks out a lot of buyers.

  • Developer · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2012 · 33 posts · 14 votes
    13y

    Scott,

    I'm a beginner living in DC. Just a quick question for you: how did you find this property?

    Thanks,
    Patrick Ryan

  • Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    I'd agree with Mark. Good pricing has nothing to do with how much discount you get off the list price. Its all about whether you can get a house at a price that you can make good money at.

    Based on your post, you said you thought it was a good deal at 50k. It sounds like they had a reserve of 49k. So why not get your offer in there for 49k and see if they bite.

    Bottom line is that if its a good deal at 50k, its a good deal at 49k. Just because nobody else that participated in the auction thought so doesn't mean it isn't worth more than your top bid.

    Grab your deal and add another property to your portfolio. Even if you have to go to 52k, go ahead. You were willing to before. And that extra 2k is really only another $10/month out of your monthly profits.

    In a year or two, you won't be able to get those kinds of deals so buy whatever you can while you can.....

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    13y

    Offer 47K if you're willing. :)

  • SFR Investor · Newport News, VA · Member since 2013 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    I submitted a new offer at $47,000, which was accepted by Chase. I originally saw the property on the local REIN website. I expect to spend $10,000 to renovate the property and it should rent for $850. Thanks to those BP members who offered advice and to the regular posters who provide so much information. I have changed my renovation plan to incorporate ideas I learned here.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    13y

    There ya go! Good luck with your deal... :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.