Pay over the appraised value?

Pay over the appraised value?

Ema SilvaPro Member
Boston · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 0 votes

Should I pay an extra 30k above the appraised value? It is multifamily. After said expenses, fixed and variable, it would net 2k a month. The CoC is 34% and the cap is 7.6%.

I just dont feel good about paying an extra 30k above appraised value in a market like this. Thoughts?

0Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

Arn CenedellaPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2008 · 786 posts · 1k+ votes
4y

@Ema Silva

Based on over 40 years in the real estate industry, I can tell you in my opinion many people overestimate the value and accuracy of an appraisal.

If you were to get three appraisals on this property (providing no purchase agreement), you would probably get three different values. The idea of no purchase contract is to force appraiser to determine a value independent of any sales price to aim for.

Appraisals often will have a range of error of +-3%. Market value is a range of values not a specific number.

What’s the purchase price? $30,000 on a $300,000 deal is a much different issue than $30,000 on a $1,000,000 deal.

The “low” appraisal would make me take a second and third look at my underwriting. What am I missing? What does the appraiser do differently than I?

The other factor is: How hot is your market? if the subject property is in some for lack of a better word “podunk” town where population jobs and values are stagnant, the $30,000 would be of great concern. If on the other hand, your market is super hot, that $30,000 could be made up in six months appreciation.

I can tell you in any growth market of the country, if someone bought in March 2021, and thought they overpaid……I can tell almost without exception, those buyers are ecstatic they bought in March and overpaid because the value of their property probably has increased in 6 months by way more than $30,000.

Real estate investments for me is a long term game. I look to the future more than the immediate present. I look at overall future prospects of that market.

The great thing about investing is it is easy to talk a good game. Investors have to put their money where their mouth is - so it’s real, it’s not hypothetical.

Can’t tell you what to do. Hopefully, my thoughts present a different perspective.

Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Maryville, TN · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    Ok BP family, I am in a similar situation......meaning the appraisal has come in $65,000 less than the agreed upon price......$1,120,000 PP and $1,135,000 appraised value.  It is an 11 apartment building plus a duplex all on one site....following is my pro-forma calculations.....I manage my own properties so there is no "management" cost in my calculations.  I just asked the seller to renegotiate at the appraised value.....just waiting to see what they say....

  • Arn CenedellaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2008 · 786 posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Ema Silva

    If it truely is 34% ConC and a 7.6% cap, come up with the extra cash to buy this property. 

    With all due respect, I am skeptical of the 34% ConC. Please really be sure of your numbers. 

    Updated property tax and insurance costs?

    If your expense ratio isn’t between 40% and 55%, you probably are missing something. 

    Good luck. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.