Deal or no deal? Akron area, first time...

Deal or no deal? Akron area, first time...

Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 1 vote

Hi guys! There's a duplex in outskirts of Akron area that has piqued my interest and I want your opinions on this deal...

1600+ sq foot Duplex, 2/1 down and 1/1 up, separate electric meters. 

Upstairs was recently updated, downstairs also looks decent, needs fresh coat of paint. 

Siding, roof, mechanical updated within last few years.

Asking price $65,000

Estimating about $300-$400 cash flow after expenses and PITI

Downstairs unit currently rented @ $650 (possibly be rented at $750? is this ballpark?)

Upstairs unit rented, not sure how much, will assume $600

I will be using PM as I am out of state.  

side yard could use a fresh load of gravel to add no-mud parking (how much would this cost roughly?)

needs small wood railing added to entrance steps to avoid falls

small mold/mildew patch in bathroom ceiling above shower needs to be removed and repaired 

needs retrofit bathroom exhaust fan to avoid recurrence of mildew ^

downstairs needs interior re-painted (average cost?)

What can I expect for insurance on a property like this?

anything else major that inspector would potentially find

estimating ready-to-rent cost between $3500-5000?

Bank won't lend anything less than $50k, seller is "firm" on price. Would be doing 25% down. Have yet to make an offer. Are these numbers reasonable? If the seller doesn't budge, is this still a deal worth considering? Should I offer a few grand over asking and ask for a seller's credit at the table to ensure I get funding? I guess at the end of the day, numbers speak for themselves, and everything so far seems like it should check out... It's my first rental investment or real estate purchase at that, and I'm nervous about missing something or screwing up. Any insight or tips are appreciated!

Thanks!

1Reply
13 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Omaha, NE · Member since 2020 · 329 posts · 203 votes
    4y

    The numbers look pretty good but I will warn you from experience- where there is mold there is MORE MOLD. Get it thoroughly inspected, it is worth it. I found mold that was hidden during due diligence and it wound up costing over 25k in remediation and reconstruction. Turned into a full gut. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.