Financing for Multiple Multifamily Homes/Apartments on one lot

Financing for Multiple Multifamily Homes/Apartments on one lot

Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hello,

I am trying to figure out financing options for a project I am looking to do (if I can get the financing).  I am a home builder (side hustle - full time professional job as well).  I was looking around at buying some Multifamily homes in a nearby city, about 20 minutes away, but the ones for sale are between 1898 and 1924 for when they were built (yuck, I am not a fan of old homes and working on them).  With the area I live in having a major housing need and constantly being asked if I have or know anyone who has rentals, I'd prefer to just build brand new ones.  This however leads to the issue of finding land to build them on.  Well, I have been presented some 12+ acre lots about 2 miles outside of town, but within 3 miles of Walmart, shopping, and eating places (maybe a 5 minute drive as the main road these properties would be on is empty).  

What I am trying to figure out is how to finance this to build in phases.  For example, the first phase would be one or two buildings right off the road frontage.  This will be the easiest to start as I will not have to put in some sort of drive back into the property.  Additionally, with no public sewer readily available, I will be doing a commercial septic system to allow multiple builds to tie into (water, electric, internet is at the street).  So what I am trying to do is:

Phase 1 - Main septic system and 1 or 2 buildings off of current road frontage
Phase 2 - 1 or 2 more buildings on road frontage
Later phases - put in drives and build behind these buildings.

Typically financing is not an issue, however, this is the first time I am wanting to finance multiple projects on the same lot/parcel.

Thank you,
Jeff

0Reply
8 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • PA · Member since 2010 · 339 posts · 168 votes
    4y

    I think you would need to own the land outright and provide a deposit of 10% or so of the total development costs. The rest would depend on your pedigree. 

    I took a CCIM course on RE development and the text book was pretty good. The title is something like The Real Estate Development Matrix.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.