HOW to Find a large multi unit building deal? (300-1000 units)

HOW to Find a large multi unit building deal? (300-1000 units)

Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 11 votes

Hello all,

I'm a landlord for the past 4 years, I've successfully built a decent portfolio of 203 doors in total, I own properties anywhere from a single family home to a 12 units buildings.

Being in the REI game intensively in the past 4 years teached me a lot and today I'm very confident on what I'm doing and how I'm doing it. But I feel that it's my time to scale up.

The only thing that I am trying to crack but didn't really find a definite successful method of how to find a large multi unit apartment buildings for sale (not thru Tenx or any of these platforms)

I've been digging for quite a long time and tried different methods but no luck so far.

I will appreciate any advice on how to find those large multi units buildings

Thanks in advance

Charly Liran Afergan

1Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y

Those deals will nearly all go through commercial real estate brokers. Any given market will have just a handful of CRE brokers who control the lion's share of the deal flow. The key is to build relationships with them, demonstrate that you understand the business and can close. That shouldn't be a problem with the size of your portfolio. Then, when they send you deals be incredibly responsive.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    Those deals will nearly all go through commercial real estate brokers. Any given market will have just a handful of CRE brokers who control the lion's share of the deal flow. The key is to build relationships with them, demonstrate that you understand the business and can close. That shouldn't be a problem with the size of your portfolio. Then, when they send you deals be incredibly responsive.

  • Real Estate Consultant · USA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 751 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Liran Afergan:

    Hello all,

    I'm a landlord for the past 4 years, I've successfully built a decent portfolio of 203 doors in total, I own properties anywhere from a single family home to a 12 units buildings.

    Being in the REI game intensively in the past 4 years teached me a lot and today I'm very confident on what I'm doing and how I'm doing it. But I feel that it's my time to scale up.

    The only thing that I am trying to crack but didn't really find a definite successful method of how to find a large multi unit apartment buildings for sale (not thru Tenx or any of these platforms)

    I've been digging for quite a long time and tried different methods but no luck so far.

    I will appreciate any advice on how to find those large multi units buildings

    Thanks in advance

    Charly Liran Afergan

     @Liran Afergan That's what I do. I find properties for private equity firms looking for large multi-family apartment buildings. I get deals like that every week. These are off-market deals.

  • Syndicator of Large Apartment Buildings · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Liran Afergan last year I bought a 1,000 unit deal using a combo strategy of calling, emailing, and direct mail to the seller. This approach works but is a long game to find deals.

    Your easiest way to find assets is to connect with commercial real estate brokers in your local area.

    For research, I subscribe to Yardi Matrix, similar to CoStar where I can pull property information. 

  • Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 11 votes
    4y

    @Brian Adams

    Thanks for the tip

    A 1000 units building is a really nice deal.

    Wish you luck and if you'll ever want to flip a deal to me or JV in one specially in Philadelphia and NE Pennsylvania just so you know that I'm interested and have access to an massive amount of funds from private investors plus VERY good records & relationships with local banks here.

  • Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 11 votes
    4y

    @Jim Pellerin

    That's awesome.

    Let's connect on private chat and discuss I'm more details on the type of the buildings and location they you have access to.

  • Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 11 votes
    4y

    @Taylor L.

    Hi Taylor, Thanks for the tip I'm connected with some commercial real estate investors but I guess that I'll need to expand my networking.

    But still, since the market is very competitive and I know that most if these commercial real estate brokers who has access to these deals will put in a priority their clients that they've been working with in the past, which it's still possible, but decreasing my chances to get notified vefore everyone else.

    That's why I'd rather get them off market deals

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.