Syndicator/Deal Rankings From An Expert

Syndicator/Deal Rankings From An Expert

Member since 2022 · 1 post · 1 vote

The syndicator scene is like the Wild West! Each sponsor vying for investor money claiming that their deal is great, that “their underwriting is conservative, that they have X amount of experience which will translate into success for you.”

But the transparency behind all of this is limited and often times risks, weaknesses, and aggressive assumptions can be found which a passive investor might not see. 

As someone who holds the CFA Designation and with years of institutional real estate experience doing the actual underwriting, due diligence, and asset management for billion dollar funds, I really feel sorry for investors getting taken advantage of by all these syndicators.

To aid the investors, each time I come across a syndicator and their deal I screen them using my own an due diligence process that I have developed and I grade the syndicator and the deal opportunity and rank them compared to others. 

1Reply
18 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Apartment Syndicator · Charleston, SC · Member since 2017 · 519 posts · 631 votes
    3y

    @Account Closed Any findings or insight that you care to share?

  • Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 14 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    The syndicator scene is like the Wild West! Each sponsor vying for investor money claiming that their deal is great, that “their underwriting is conservative, that they have X amount of experience which will translate into success for you.”

    But the transparency behind all of this is limited and often times risks, weaknesses, and aggressive assumptions can be found which a passive investor might not see. 

    As someone who holds the CFA Designation and with years of institutional real estate experience doing the actual underwriting, due diligence, and asset management for billion dollar funds, I really feel sorry for investors getting taken advantage of by all these syndicators.

    To aid the investors, each time I come across a syndicator and their deal I screen them using my own an due diligence process that I have developed and I grade the syndicator and the deal opportunity and rank them compared to others. 

    Are you just letting everyone know that you rank syndicators or are you offering to share your rankings? 


Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.