Valuation Methodology - Multi-Family Portfolio - Mostly Furnished/STR/Mid-Term

Valuation Methodology - Multi-Family Portfolio - Mostly Furnished/STR/Mid-Term

Rental Property Investor · Forest Park, IL · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 22 votes

I have a portfolio of 5 small (6 to 10 units) apartment buildings in Suburban Chicago (close to city). 37 total units. I have converted most of the units to furnished rentals (mostly mid-term rentals). This lodging operation is seasoned and my furnished portfolio had 91% occupancy last year. I might be interested in selling but only if I am able to capture the value of the greatly increased NOI from the furnished business. The buildings are worth approximately $5.7M using traditional market rents ($283,000 NOI/5% cap). Buildings and apartments are fully renovated and truly turn-key and include parking. I can generate an NOI of $592,000 with my furnished lodging business. Value $7.9M using 7.5% Cap. These are fully furnished units in premium Chicago suburbs. Close to train lines and all major highways. I generally get 2X the market rent for a furnished mid-term rental (minimum 30 nights).

Question:  How to Structure a Sale Transaction?

A traditional lender probably would underwrite the deal using the "traditional" rental income and NOI for an apartment building. And it would secure appraisals using that NOI, sales comps and rental comps. Additionally, a buyer would have an interest in keeping the value of the buildings at a traditional market value for property tax purposes. Therefore, I think the deal might need to be done in 2 tranches. One for the real estate and another for the lodging operation. Have you seen such a transaction? Maybe I am over thinking this but in order to sell I need to capture the value of the lodging operation that I have spent years standing up. Any thoughts or constructive comments are appreciated. P.S. Cash Flow after debt service and all expenses projected at over $400,000 this year. My ROI is well in excess of 30% annual.
 

1Reply
9 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bryan HartlenPro Member
    Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 313 posts · 157 votes
    3y

    @Kevin Morgan I'm no expert so treat this comment accordingly… but I think you answered the question yourself. You're selling a business so use the STR/MTR cash flow. As long as you include the unique capex costs for the furnishings in the pro forma I would think the model should hold. Prior to this year's market adjustments, we had seen some lenders loan on the NOI of STR income streams (which put the property's value well above traditional LTR comps). So I think the logic holds.

  • Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Hi Kevin,

    I have experience with buyers who are interested in purchasing buildings for furnished rentals. I can assist you with developing a customized solution that is tailored to your needs. In addition to how to structure financing options, we can also explore selling the entire portfolio as one transaction, or selling each building or unit separately. Honestly, you may be overthinking it. If a deal cash flows and a buyer can see that, it's a no brainer. Please let me know if you would like to discuss further and I would be happy to provide more info.

  • Rental Property Investor · Forest Park, IL · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 22 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Katelin Burke:

    Hi Kevin,

    I have experience with buyers who are interested in purchasing buildings for furnished rentals. I can assist you with developing a customized solution that is tailored to your needs. In addition to how to structure financing options, we can also explore selling the entire portfolio as one transaction, or selling each building or unit separately. Honestly, you may be overthinking it. If a deal cash flows and a buyer can see that, it's a no brainer. Please let me know if you would like to discuss further and I would be happy to provide more info.


    Hi Katelin. I'm always willing to talk and listen. For the reasons I listed above I don't think a "cash flow buyer" would pay up for the real estate just because the cash flow is there. Again, I detailed my reasoning in my original post. It will NEVER get financed using the NOI I generate with my furnished operation. At least not with any sort of "traditional lender". I suppose they could pay cash but that is unlikely.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.