The Next Asset Class Boom Very Few People Are Talking About

The Next Asset Class Boom Very Few People Are Talking About

Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 400 posts · 278 votes

One of the great parts of real estate investing is all the niches and strategies you can invest in. Keeping track of asset classes and their cycles is huge for a passive investor to find success investing. In today’s episode, I’m going to go over the next asset class that I think will be the boom over the next few years.

An asset class is the type of property you invest in, multifamily is an asset class, self storage, short term rentals, office space, strip malls…all of these are different asset classes and all have their pros and cons.

Picking an asset class should be a mixture of your comfortability with that class, the opportunity, and the market cycle for that asset class.

The next big asset class I think we’ll start to see is data centers.

Data centers are projected to continue growing with the huge expansion of AI, in the last year alone demand shot up 61% for high end data centers and that’s just for the large companies, the Amazons, Facebooks, and Microsofts of the world.

That doesn’t include emerging companies or anybody else that needs data centers for non AI related ventures.

With supply chain issues data centers got enormously backed up, it was hard to get computer chips for cars let alone the extremely sophisticated computer chips and technology for running massive data centers.

As AI and emerging technologies continue to grow at an exponential rate this demand will continue to push, and will likely continue outgrowing supply and the ability to create new, modern data centers.

It’s an asset class we’re looking at and continuing to learn about and collect data on and it’s not something we’ve invested in yet, but I do think that could change as that industry becomes a bit more stable and predictable.

4Reply
18 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Aubrey FordPro Member
    Investor · Atlanta · Member since 2023 · 52 posts · 16 votes
    3y

    I am new to REI, but I work in IT and I can attest the increased need for good data centers. Add to this the sharp uptick in the work from home people. That increased WFH employee population requires a lot of new centralized infrastructure within data centers to support.

  • New to Real Estate · Texas Christian University · Member since 2022 · 118 posts · 56 votes
    3y

    Justin, what are the qualifications for setting up a data center? Could you set up a data center in any location. I have land in an area that does not have much infrastructure. Could I possibly set a data center in a location of such vastness? How would you profit from a data center? I would love to learn what you know. Thanks, for sharing this information!  

  • Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    Hey Justin, do you think it's an asset class that will be accessible to the general market in the near future? As it is a segment still untouchable and largely directed by very large companies.

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 400 posts · 278 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Hunter Reed:

    Justin, what are the qualifications for setting up a data center? Could you set up a data center in any location. I have land in an area that does not have much infrastructure. Could I possibly set a data center in a location of such vastness? How would you profit from a data center? I would love to learn what you know. Thanks, for sharing this information!  


     I wish I could answer that, we're not experts in the data center field at all but it's a new asset class that I think will boom according to the data. But what I've heard is access to water is huge for data centers so being close to a lake or river is a big factor for them.

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 400 posts · 278 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Pierre Reva:

    Hey Justin, do you think it's an asset class that will be accessible to the general market in the near future? As it is a segment still untouchable and largely directed by very large companies.


    I think it will be. Just like with all other types of assets now that are available to retail investors. REITs never used to exist but now there's a REIT for just about every niche and private investors can invest in just about anything through them. Private groups will always look to syndicate properties and I don't see why this would be any different!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.