1031 Into New Market Cash Flow Properties

1031 Into New Market Cash Flow Properties

Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 5 votes

I have multiple properties in the Los Angeles area that are being sold, and we are looking for new markets to 1031 exchange into. In the past our model was largely built around property appreciation. However, with this change we would like to reoptimize the portfolio for cash flowing properties, and are not particularly concerned with appreciation. We also have two other investors/portfolios who are looking to do the same thing. Looking for advice and real estate professionals to meet and potentially work with. 

1Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Member since 2021 · 52 posts · 12 votes
2y
Quote from @Scott Hanson:

I have multiple properties in the Los Angeles area that are being sold, and we are looking for new markets to 1031 exchange into. In the past our model was largely built around property appreciation. However, with this change we would like to reoptimize the portfolio for cash flowing properties, and are not particularly concerned with appreciation. We also have two other investors/portfolios who are looking to do the same thing. Looking for advice and real estate professionals to meet and potentially work with. 


Hi! I love that you're doing this! I'm a licensed FL RE agent looking to do the same thing. I've already identified some markets, have visited most of them and I intend on visiting the others as soon as I have the capital to do the deal there.

I have the same vision for my portfolio of stabilized, high cash-flow, Multifamily 20-30+ Units comprised of mostly long term tenants in HIGH rental demand areas. We will also purchase in ecotourism locations so we will most likely have a few Short Term Rental units. These markets which have thrived for hundreds of years are ignored by traditional investors and institutions that want to buy in LA & Miami but ignore that rental prices are at all time highs while income has not grown to match it which creates an unprecedented risk.
  Some of these markets are not only more stable than the traditional markets, but they are also priced way better. 

Currently, I want to buy a 2.1m Apartment building which is in the downtown capital of a state right now. It's appraised for higher than 2.4m and it currently has an in place, not proforma 13%+ cap rate with room to grow.

A couple different notes: We find highly stabilized properties where rentals are in high demand, we can implement RUBS or a flat rate utility bill back for common areas and utilities provided to the tenants. In most cases this can easily add at least 20,000 a year to the bottom line where as before it was simply an expense.

The STR units not only serve to push the cap rate even higher, but are nicely blended with long term leases for the remaining units which not only dramatically reduces the risk but increases cashflow. Most importantly though, it also gives an opportunity for our potential and actual investors to not only profit from their investment but it turns annual inspections into vacation rental for the family.

These locations are all over, the Pacific North-West, AK, MT, WA, ID, and so many other states not only just on the west coast.

We acquire these properties under the appraised value and significantly under the cost of replacement on average the Multifamily and mixed use buildings I'm looking at acquiring if I have the capital are between $100-$150 a square foot.

I would love to connect and discuss all options whether we want to work together or just have a pleasant conversation!
See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    2y
  • Mason WeissBusiness Member
    Realtor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 523 posts · 239 votes
    2y

    Hey Scott, states in the Midwest and south are usually geared towards cash flow over appreciation. I know Kansas City has a decent amount of multi family properties that provide cash flow and are priming for appreciation. If you want me to connect you with an investment agent in that market shoot me a PM, I have a good rec for you.

  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2019 · 569 posts · 257 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Scott Hanson:

    I have multiple properties in the Los Angeles area that are being sold, and we are looking for new markets to 1031 exchange into. In the past our model was largely built around property appreciation. However, with this change we would like to reoptimize the portfolio for cash flowing properties, and are not particularly concerned with appreciation. We also have two other investors/portfolios who are looking to do the same thing. Looking for advice and real estate professionals to meet and potentially work with. 

    Panama City beach has the ability to cashflow at 10-15% of the gross purchase price. In addition, it has good appreciation since that beach market is right next to 30A. Right now we have a 6 bed 4.5 bath pending at 1.5 million with 175k projections and 120k on the books after only being rented for 7 months this year. HOI came under 4.2k a year for STR purpose.

  • Real Estate Broker · Kansas City Metro · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Scott Hanson I know others have said it but I am a broker here in KC that specializes in multifamily. We help people locate deals that fit their return requirements. Yes Kansas City is a hot market and it does work for cash flow, but I am sure there are others as well. Just depends on what your criteria for your investment? 

  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2021 · 52 posts · 12 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Scott Hanson:

    I have multiple properties in the Los Angeles area that are being sold, and we are looking for new markets to 1031 exchange into. In the past our model was largely built around property appreciation. However, with this change we would like to reoptimize the portfolio for cash flowing properties, and are not particularly concerned with appreciation. We also have two other investors/portfolios who are looking to do the same thing. Looking for advice and real estate professionals to meet and potentially work with. 


    Hi! I love that you're doing this! I'm a licensed FL RE agent looking to do the same thing. I've already identified some markets, have visited most of them and I intend on visiting the others as soon as I have the capital to do the deal there.

    I have the same vision for my portfolio of stabilized, high cash-flow, Multifamily 20-30+ Units comprised of mostly long term tenants in HIGH rental demand areas. We will also purchase in ecotourism locations so we will most likely have a few Short Term Rental units. These markets which have thrived for hundreds of years are ignored by traditional investors and institutions that want to buy in LA & Miami but ignore that rental prices are at all time highs while income has not grown to match it which creates an unprecedented risk.
      Some of these markets are not only more stable than the traditional markets, but they are also priced way better. 

    Currently, I want to buy a 2.1m Apartment building which is in the downtown capital of a state right now. It's appraised for higher than 2.4m and it currently has an in place, not proforma 13%+ cap rate with room to grow.

    A couple different notes: We find highly stabilized properties where rentals are in high demand, we can implement RUBS or a flat rate utility bill back for common areas and utilities provided to the tenants. In most cases this can easily add at least 20,000 a year to the bottom line where as before it was simply an expense.

    The STR units not only serve to push the cap rate even higher, but are nicely blended with long term leases for the remaining units which not only dramatically reduces the risk but increases cashflow. Most importantly though, it also gives an opportunity for our potential and actual investors to not only profit from their investment but it turns annual inspections into vacation rental for the family.

    These locations are all over, the Pacific North-West, AK, MT, WA, ID, and so many other states not only just on the west coast.

    We acquire these properties under the appraised value and significantly under the cost of replacement on average the Multifamily and mixed use buildings I'm looking at acquiring if I have the capital are between $100-$150 a square foot.

    I would love to connect and discuss all options whether we want to work together or just have a pleasant conversation!
  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Brian Harris:

    Absolutely. Currently have two investments in the Phoenix area.


  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ricardo Hidalgo:
    Quote from @Scott Hanson:

    I have multiple properties in the Los Angeles area that are being sold, and we are looking for new markets to 1031 exchange into. In the past our model was largely built around property appreciation. However, with this change we would like to reoptimize the portfolio for cash flowing properties, and are not particularly concerned with appreciation. We also have two other investors/portfolios who are looking to do the same thing. Looking for advice and real estate professionals to meet and potentially work with. 

    Panama City beach has the ability to cashflow at 10-15% of the gross purchase price. In addition, it has good appreciation since that beach market is right next to 30A. Right now we have a 6 bed 4.5 bath pending at 1.5 million with 175k projections and 120k on the books after only being rented for 7 months this year. HOI came under 4.2k a year for STR purpose.


     Very interesting. I do not know much about the Florida market but would be open to exploring it more.

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alex Olson:

    @Scott Hanson I know others have said it but I am a broker here in KC that specializes in multifamily. We help people locate deals that fit their return requirements. Yes Kansas City is a hot market and it does work for cash flow, but I am sure there are others as well. Just depends on what your criteria for your investment? 


     Sounds like KC is a market I should review further. Ideally this first purchase would be in the 800K range and we have a preference for 2Bed+ units. I would be interested in discussing further.

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Brian Harris:

    Can we set up a short call to talk through the implementation of your strategy in AZ?  


  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Scott Hanson:
    Quote from @Brian Harris:

    Absolutely. Currently have two investments in the Phoenix area.



     Do you have time this week to set up a short call to discuss the criteria you mentioned with respect to Arizona?

  • Real Estate Agent · Emerald Coast, FL · Member since 2016 · 820 posts · 486 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Scott Hanson:
    Quote from @Ricardo Hidalgo:
    Quote from @Scott Hanson:

    I have multiple properties in the Los Angeles area that are being sold, and we are looking for new markets to 1031 exchange into. In the past our model was largely built around property appreciation. However, with this change we would like to reoptimize the portfolio for cash flowing properties, and are not particularly concerned with appreciation. We also have two other investors/portfolios who are looking to do the same thing. Looking for advice and real estate professionals to meet and potentially work with. 

    Panama City beach has the ability to cashflow at 10-15% of the gross purchase price. In addition, it has good appreciation since that beach market is right next to 30A. Right now we have a 6 bed 4.5 bath pending at 1.5 million with 175k projections and 120k on the books after only being rented for 7 months this year. HOI came under 4.2k a year for STR purpose.


     Very interesting. I do not know much about the Florida market but would be open to exploring it more.


    I sell everything between PCB and Navarre Beach and can give you insight into the submarkets on the Emerald Coast.  I specialize in STRs here and have some good knowledge of the insurance situation as well.  I'd love to talk with you and will DM you.

  • Real Estate Broker · Kansas City Metro · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Scott Hanson:
    Quote from @Alex Olson:

    @Scott Hanson I know others have said it but I am a broker here in KC that specializes in multifamily. We help people locate deals that fit their return requirements. Yes Kansas City is a hot market and it does work for cash flow, but I am sure there are others as well. Just depends on what your criteria for your investment? 


     Sounds like KC is a market I should review further. Ideally this first purchase would be in the 800K range and we have a preference for 2Bed+ units. I would be interested in discussing further.


     Sounds good. I will DM you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.