Banning Tenants from Displaying Democratic Posters on My properties

Banning Tenants from Displaying Democratic Posters on My properties

Flipper/Rehabber · Bloomfield CT · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 408 votes

I am thinking about updating my lease to prevent tenants from displaying Democratic Posters of any one running for elected office that champions ideas such as Rent Control, Gun Control or other anti-landlord ideologies. Has anyone written this type of restrictions into their lease?

1
Topic locked
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Ned J.Pro Member
Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y

Please tell me you are frickin kidding....

This is the stupidest thing I have read on the internet today.

Tenants have the right to have their owner political views that differ from yours. I dont discriminate or tell my tenants how to live their lives or what political ideology that can/can't follow. 

I want tenants that pay on time and take good care of the property...... other than that I could not care less what their political views are

Unless those displays are damaging your property in some way/shape/form, leave them alone

Go ahead and put it in your lease...... tell your tenants what the can/cant believe politically.... see how that goes.... hope you have a good attorney

Wow... have we really come to this??

4
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    Please tell me you are frickin kidding....

    This is the stupidest thing I have read on the internet today.

    Tenants have the right to have their owner political views that differ from yours. I dont discriminate or tell my tenants how to live their lives or what political ideology that can/can't follow. 

    I want tenants that pay on time and take good care of the property...... other than that I could not care less what their political views are

    Unless those displays are damaging your property in some way/shape/form, leave them alone

    Go ahead and put it in your lease...... tell your tenants what the can/cant believe politically.... see how that goes.... hope you have a good attorney

    Wow... have we really come to this??

    4
    Topic locked
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    2y

    Is your whole purpose on this site just to come post stupid inflammatory things?  

    2
    Topic locked
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    2y

    If you want to tell them not to post ANY signs for elections, that may be fine, but not to ban a particular political party or person.

    2
    Topic locked
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    2y

    I don't think this is legal in any jurisdiction anywhere. I'm not even sure you can prohibit them displaying a small, temporary political sign at all (legally), though as Theresa said you might be able to prohibit all signs. 

    I'm not even sure how "gun control" is anti-landlord, but I'm going to tell you that you are on thin ice here as you have been warned about political postings before. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
    2
    Topic locked