1031 Multiple Lots into 1 or more Multi Family Property/ies

1031 Multiple Lots into 1 or more Multi Family Property/ies

Savannah, GA · Member since 2022 · 30 posts · 9 votes

I’m about to list several vacant lots of land for sale. I hope to net around $800k after fees and closing costs. I want to do a 1031 exchange with the proceeds into one or more MF properties.

Assuming that I could get a property/properties at around $100k per unit, should I try to buy a single property of around 30-35 units? (With 25% down). Or should I buy several smaller properties? Or even 8 quads?

My current portfolio consists of 8 units, a fourplex, a duplex and two SFHs, in 3 different states. Some are self-managed, some are not. I hope to turn the self-managed properties over to a PM at some point in the first quarter of 2025.

I’d prefer to buy as large of a MF property as possible because of economies of scale and having to complete less transactions, but I haven’t closed or underwritten a deal that large before. So this is a concern I have.

Also, I’m unsure of the timing of the sale of my vacant lots and the gap of time in between closing. There will probably be 9 lots in total. So given the time constraints of a 1031 exchange, I thought I might have to buy several properties with the proceeds since there could possibly large gaps between the multiple closings.

I’m interested in hearing your thoughts and opinions. What else should I be working on in the meantime prior to listing the lots for sale to get ready for this sort of transaction?

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Dave FosterBusiness Member
Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
1y

@Richard Benjamin Wilhite, @Bill B.makes some good points about loan terms and the strict identification rules for a 1031 exchange.

I would add from a tax mitigation perspective that buying the largest property possible will give you the greatest amount of cost segregation possibility and at the lowest cost since it would be one study rather than several.  This can help you greatly with the additional depreciation.

Ultimately, med to large MF and small 2-4s are totally different products.  So think about what's comfortable for you.

The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    1y

    There’s a big advantage to naming 3 or less replacement properties in regards to 1031 rules. So keep that in mind. 

    The advantage to doing a few lots for a duplex or quad plex at a time would be it’s easier to sell a few in a limited time than 9. PLUS, if a bank decides at the last minute they don’t want to borrow you money for a new type and price range of property for you. You don’t kill your whole exchange. Plus you can get 30 year loans instead of 5-7 year loans you would get on 5 units or more. 

    Personally I'd stick with SFR or at 4 units or less for preferred financing and to reduce risk of the exchange failing. But it's your money.

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @Richard Benjamin Wilhite, @Bill B.makes some good points about loan terms and the strict identification rules for a 1031 exchange.

    I would add from a tax mitigation perspective that buying the largest property possible will give you the greatest amount of cost segregation possibility and at the lowest cost since it would be one study rather than several.  This can help you greatly with the additional depreciation.

    Ultimately, med to large MF and small 2-4s are totally different products.  So think about what's comfortable for you.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Todd AndersonPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2023 · 392 posts · 175 votes
    1y

    Richard,

    I would think the hurdle of selling all 9 lots at the same time and getting through due diligence in time to satisfy the 1031 requirements, might be a big goal. I think the idea of planning on selling 1-2 lots per exchange might be easer to handle.

    I work with 1031 investors all the time. Most are looking for an option to find a property quickly that they can identify and close. One way to do this is to work with builders to move their inventory of New Construction Investment property. The investors that I have worked with in the past have found units from SFR to quads that are ready to close with conventional financing.

    Connect with me for any specific questions.

    Best of luck.

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 414 posts · 233 votes
    1y

    Richard - great position to be in! As you mentioned, it might be difficult timing the sales of each of properties where you can achieve a combined exchange (multiple properties into 1 property / or a few properties).

    Just a quick note that may be helpful - I work with a group of investors that can help with a combined exchange into a single property and will buy it back once you've found a replacement propertie(s) as the final destination for your capital. Downside is you likely need to be asset class and location agnostic. Upside is you get to defer your taxes and earn a yield in the meantime. The structure for this is a discounted sale, lease back, buy back.

    One of the partners is a qualified intermediary as well that understands the plumbing behind it to make it 1031 compliant.

    If you have any questions on that - feel free to give me a buzz. Contact info in bio!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.