Flipper/Rehabber · Bloomfield CT · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 408 votes
Is it against any laws to have existing tenants have a say in choosing their fellow tenants? Some say you can't choose your neighbors. I want to change this mindset
Is it against any laws to have existing tenants have a say in choosing their fellow tenants? Some say you can't choose your neighbors. I want to change this mindset
I don’t think you can legally let current tenants approve or reject incoming ones, especially if it influences decisions around protected classes (race, religion, etc.). That opens you up to Fair Housing violations real fast. That said, you can create a community vibe by setting expectations and asking tenants to refer people they know who’d be a good fit. But you, as the landlord, have to make the final decision based on objective criteria. Wanting to build a respectful tenant mix is great, just be careful not to hand over any part of the screening process.