Wholesaler · Central Falls, Philadelphia · Member since 2014 · 205 posts · 32 votes
Hello
My name is Abou from Providence, Rhode Island currently a student in RI and graduating from a community college to a state college for my B.A in finance. I am studying to take my Re sales test next month and my business partner Luis and I are going to acquire our first investment property in RI. Currently we are focusing on the college market niche as out first investment in our buy and hold strategy. We would love to meet local investors and gain and get our hands dirty and learn as well as pay our dues. I just don't know how to go about it. I would if any Rhode Island or borderline mass could assist.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
11y
Are you looking in providence or south county? We have south county property. There are many local issues in RI that you need to be aware of and as you state students are a unique market. I have not gone to REI group meetings as my travel doesn't sync up but hear they are a good resource. There are also local issues depending on your area of investment. Make sure you are aware of student targeted ordinances, south country has them, not sure about providence.
Investor · Johnston, RI · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 11 votes
11y
@Abou C. - Welcome to the site! I will make a few suggestions. Start attending a (or several) local REIA meetings. The ones that I know about are the RI Real Estate Investors Group and Black Diamond Real Estate Investors. I have personally attended the RI group meetings for the past 6-7 months and have learned a lot and made some great connections.
The second thing that I would do is setup your keyword alerts here on BP to alert you whenever someone mentions the area you are interested in. This could be very specific, such as 'Providence' or could be more general like 'Rhode Island'. Once you set this up, you can check in on the conversations other investors are having about your area, and possibly chime in where you have some knowledge to share.
Good luck to you in the future! Hope to see you at one of the future meetings!
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
11y
Are you looking in providence or south county? We have south county property. There are many local issues in RI that you need to be aware of and as you state students are a unique market. I have not gone to REI group meetings as my travel doesn't sync up but hear they are a good resource. There are also local issues depending on your area of investment. Make sure you are aware of student targeted ordinances, south country has them, not sure about providence.
Buy and Hold Investor · Cranston, RI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y
Abou, as Jason and Colleen said, there is a RI real estate investor group (http://www.rireig.com) and also several Mass groups - the only one of which I've gone to is Black Diamond REI (http://www.blackdiamondrealestateinvestors.com/). I believe RIREIG meets monthly (third Thursday of the month) and Black Diamond twice a month (Tuesdays - see website for schedule).
I've also been investing in RI since 2005 and would be happy to meet with you and/or your partner sometime, just send me a private message. My partners and I are cash buyers, if you're looking to wholesale (as many new people do) or I can also give you my thoughts on buy-and-hold as that's my preferred long-term strategy.
Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
11y
Abou, welcome to BP.
Personally, I think you should get to as many events as you can to meet people, since you never know if that one missing component of a deal is solved by the next person you meet. There are several groups on the South Shore: southshorereia.com and myeasternmassreia.com. For RI information, you should really try to attend the RIREIG, as state specific information is critical.
Our Black Diamond group provides much information that is general and some information that is MA centric, but we don't cover RI information per se.
West Kingston, RI · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 5 votes
6y
@Anthony Thompson
Hi Anthony! I am a newby to the real estate investment game in RI and would
Love to start my journey with wholesaling as a means to grow capitol for my first rental property. I will be attending the March 19th RIREIG meeting at 6pm (for the beginners). Will you be there? I am hoping to grow a network of cash buyers and investors at this point in time before looking for properties and any insight you can give would be so appreciated! If not I would love to meet with you sometime.
Buy and Hold Investor · Cranston, RI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
@Lauren Finn yes, I'll definitely be there and would be happy to talk with you there or meet with you sometime.
I often run a little late getting to the meeting and sometimes get stuck outside the main room talking to people, while the beginner section goes on, but I almost always stand up during the members section and am available during the break between the beginner section & main speaker, and then again at the end of the evening for general networking of course.
West Kingston, RI · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 5 votes
6y
That sounds great! You can disregard my private message, I wasn’t sure if my post would be seen here since it was so old. I look forward to meeting you!