Indianapolis; good and bad neighborhoods

Indianapolis; good and bad neighborhoods

Lockport , NY · Member since 2014 · 265 posts · 124 votes

Hello,

I'm interested in an 11 bed I found in the heart of Indianapolis.  Can someone shed some light on the good and bad areas, near the corners of N Bolton and Devington.

Thanks in a advance.

Jeff

1Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2009 · 575 posts · 496 votes
11y

Thats going to be right by Arlington High School...   To say that school "struggles" would be a pretty big understatement.  

I think it actually might shut down.  Not sure if that will be good or bad for the area.  

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Professional · Noblesville, IN · Member since 2014 · 222 posts · 66 votes
    11y

    Where is Devington?  38th, 42nd ish?  Bolton is a long street.

  • Lockport , NY · Member since 2014 · 265 posts · 124 votes
    11y

    Between E 46th and E 56th.

  • Lockport , NY · Member since 2014 · 265 posts · 124 votes
    11y

    What areas do you avoid? warzones? one guys said that don't touch anything south of 38th.

  • Real Estate Investor · Fishers, IN · Member since 2014 · 35 posts · 30 votes
    11y

    I said I don't touch anything south of 38th because the home values drop significantly and it gets pretty rough. I flipped one at 41st and Illinois last year and made $27k. 3 blocks south and the houses are barely worth $27k. That's when you have to find the pockets of good and bad. 

    This area isn't too bad. The SFR are maintaining decent value and there is a lot of mfr and a couple larger complexes in this area. If you are looking at the building I think you are, your price per unit is closer to a class A price and that's probably why it's been listed so long but I haven't seen that building in person. The numbers may very well work but I think you have some room to get that price down quite a bit.

  • Lockport , NY · Member since 2014 · 265 posts · 124 votes
    11y

    thanks Dale, I appreciate your incite!

    Jeff

  • David ShortPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Fishers, IN · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 47 votes
    11y
    Vert questionable area. Drive downs Emerson N Of 38th and see the vacant units. You will struggle with a quality tenant base. In that area remember if your experience is limited you problems will be many. Dave Short
  • Rental Property Investor · Fishers, IN · Member since 2013 · 381 posts · 69 votes
    11y

    @Jeff Sprunger I own a SFR close to this area, near 42nd St & Arlington Ave and I haven't had any problems. It isn't the best neighborhood in Indy but it isn't a bad neighborhood. You can definitely cash flow in this area, though you won't see much appreciation at all. I definitely wouldn't call this the "heart of Indianapolis" though.

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2009 · 575 posts · 496 votes
    11y

    Thats going to be right by Arlington High School...   To say that school "struggles" would be a pretty big understatement.  

    I think it actually might shut down.  Not sure if that will be good or bad for the area.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.