What about the security deposit and last months rent?

What about the security deposit and last months rent?

Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 85 posts · 11 votes

I have 2 properties in North Philadelphia that I'm about to put under contract this week. Both have long time tenants paying $650 and $700 a month. Does the deposit and last months rent that they paid to the landlord when they first moved into the property have to be resolved in any way?

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Commercial Real Estate Broker · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 308 posts · 151 votes
10y
Originally posted by @Donnell Evans:

Wow! Thank you. Now I have to figure out what an estoppel letter is thanks!

 Here is a sample one: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&so...

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    Yes, it gets transferred to you....this is why you want to do estoppel letters from the tenants to verify what is in place.

  • Commercial Real Estate Broker · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 308 posts · 151 votes
    10y

    @Donnell Evans

    Ideally it should be transferred by the title company / closing agent.  That said some titles companies may prefer that they don't facilitate the transfer - but I would insist that they do as it helps create a paper trail of exactly what is being conveyed.

    As @Wayne Brooks mentioned an estoppel letter is also highly recommended (and perhaps required depending upon state laws) - this is usually completed prior to COE, so there are no surprises on the day of closing (or later when a tenant moves out, pays the wrong amount, etc).

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 85 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    Wow! Thank you. Now I have to figure out what an estoppel letter is thanks!

  • Commercial Real Estate Broker · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 308 posts · 151 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Donnell Evans:

    Wow! Thank you. Now I have to figure out what an estoppel letter is thanks!

     Here is a sample one: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&so...

  • Real Estate Professional · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Always check the law.  I did a quick search of Pennsylvania state statutes and the laws governing security deposit are very clear. 

    Best of luck

  • Broomall, PA · Member since 2016 · 85 posts · 28 votes
    10y
    Sandy Glover Where do you find laws on RE for Philadelphia or any city in general? Is it a simple google search? Or do I need to enter some key words into the search? Thank you for your assistance
  • HVAC mechanic · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 241 posts · 57 votes
    10y

    https://www.landlordology.com/pennsylvania-landlor...

    Try this link. NOLO also sell a book called Every Landlords Legal Guide

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.