home with mobile home investment property

home with mobile home investment property

Investor · Laredo, TX · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes

Good Afternoon, back in January 2017 I found a cash flowing property listed at $98,000 . I had my eye on it for a while but decided to go with a 4plex. The property is a home 3bd 1 ba and has a mobile home also 3bd 2 ba. Since my plan was to house hack I went with a 4plex, got an FHA loan that I ended up buying in February 2017. Its time to get another investment property and this home/mobile property is still in the market now listed at $89,000. Each unit rents for $1,100. I went for a pre approval with my mortgage broker and was ready to offer $75,000 since this property has been on the market for 1 year and 6 months. First I was skeptical of why it wasn't selling so I setup a showing with my realtor and saw the property. It is not in the best conditions, needs a few fixer uppers but is not in bad conditions. The best part was the renters did not want to move out. They wanted to continue living on what they call their home now because it was close to their children's school. To my surprise my mortgage broker tells me his lenders will not approve an investment property with a mobile home. I had never heard of this. I was ready to give 20% down and cash flow at least $800 a month. Then I visited a local bank in my area and was also told the same thing. Lenders will not approve an investment loan with a mobile home. I have the option of asking the seller if he wants to do owner finance. But was hoping someone had gone through a similar situation and found another solution. I really do not want to involve private investors.

Thanks-Daniel

0Reply
14 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    You could use equity from your personal residence or other property. You could borrow against a 401K if you have it. Owner financing would work because it isn't your primary residence or real estate, so it doesn't violate Dodd Frank.  I think if you shop around for more local lenders, you will get financing.

  • Investor · Laredo, TX · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thanks Anthony, I currently do not have equity on my 4plex since I just bought it in Feb. I do have a 401k but I will probably do that as my last resort. I will continue to look for local lenders just as you mentioned. Appreciate you reading my post. 

  • Philippi, WV · Member since 2017 · 73 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Daniel I may know of source to help when you pm remind me what this is about

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.