Good cash flowing markets for Mf apartments

Good cash flowing markets for Mf apartments

Commercial Real Estate Investor · Pinole, CA · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 12 votes

Hello All...

I am interested in peoples opinion about markets around the country where you can still find good cash flowing apartment buildings...With cap rates as compressed as they are now, its getting harder and harder for a project to cash flow.

I would love to hear peoples opinion on where the good stable cash flow marks are these days.....I am talking about markets with a enough people in them to facilitate being able to find a good property manager and also a market big enough to have enough of a population base to supply a supply of tenants to keep it occupied. Also, no war zones or area with poor economies....

I appreciate anyone who chines in with a market they like....thanks everyone in advance for the input.

Jeff

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 247 posts · 321 votes
9y

@Account Closed, I live and work in Baltimore city and buy a lot of properties in the city, typical deal is your all in for 80K on a fully rehabbed property which is worth 100K ARV, taxes are from 1k-2k a year, and your getting 1250-1400 a month for a 3bd/1 bath rental from a voucher program. If you don't live in Baltimore City, you need an on the ground person to run your investments who knows the city well, its a block by block city, and you can easily lose all your money if you don't invest right. Most of the houses I buy were houses from failed investors.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    For cash flow: 

    Memphis - also has one of the highest rates of millennials moving in. Midtown area is solid. 

    Kansas City

    Detroit

    St. Louis

    Cleveland

    Birmingham

    Montgomery, AL

    I like the South east for growth - NC, SC, GA and decent cash flow

  • Commercial Real Estate Investor · Pinole, CA · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Thanks Todd

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 127 posts · 247 votes
    9y

    @Jeff Banky, I'm finding cash flowing deals in Texas--specifically San Antonio and pockets in DFW.  And all the major metros in Texas have the stable markers of growth. 

    We have a 192-unit in San Antonio under contract that has strong cash flow from Day 1. 

  • Real Estate Investor / Syndicator · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2015 · 93 posts · 91 votes
    9y

    @Jeff Banky I would agree with @Todd Dexheimer on the markets he listed.  I would encourage you to also explore surrounding secondary and tertiary markets to those major cities.  You may find unique economies with stable growth and good employment prospects.  

    Do be careful in Memphis though, you really need to know the area, or you may fall into a value trap.

  • Commercial Real Estate Investor · Pinole, CA · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    What are your thought on Indianapolis?

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Jeff Banky Indianapolis is good, but competitive. 

  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2010 · 123 posts · 48 votes
    9y

    @Jeff Banky - I've been doing some research on markets and Indianapolis seemed strong.   It's had strong employment growth over the past year and the unemployment rate is under 3%.  Vacancy is hovering around 5% and rent growth has been higher than 5.5% the past year.  I've haven't dug in much more than that but I think it's worth exploring.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    How do you guys feel about Baltimore, Philly, and Northern NJ?

  • Commercial Real Estate Investor · Pinole, CA · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    you are right...indy is good but many people are working it...

  • Michael DangPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 454 posts · 273 votes
    9y
    Thoughts on the Houston market post Harvey? I've read a few positive things about the future but don't want to be invested in a Class C or B property that may turn sour 18 -24 months from today.
  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Michael Dang, the class B and C didn't sour when the O&G market dropped like an anchor. Now that the supply is tightened it should do much better. The problem will still be like before... finding the deals.

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 247 posts · 321 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed, I live and work in Baltimore city and buy a lot of properties in the city, typical deal is your all in for 80K on a fully rehabbed property which is worth 100K ARV, taxes are from 1k-2k a year, and your getting 1250-1400 a month for a 3bd/1 bath rental from a voucher program. If you don't live in Baltimore City, you need an on the ground person to run your investments who knows the city well, its a block by block city, and you can easily lose all your money if you don't invest right. Most of the houses I buy were houses from failed investors.

  • Real Estate Investor · Philadephia, PA · Member since 2016 · 214 posts · 36 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Campbell Would like to know more about the San Antonio area, if you would like to discuss more about it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.