New investing Strategy idea?? Can this work?

New investing Strategy idea?? Can this work?

Realtor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 20 votes

Hello BP community! This is my first post and I'm also a newbie in real estate investing. I've been "sharpening my axe" for some years now and I finally took the step out of my comfort zone to begin my journey as an investor.

To get to the point, from my first mail out campaign, I received a couple of calls of possible deals. One of which is a "try-plex" multi-family property. "I really want to start building a rental portfolio, but it might be too early in my career." I told myself. "And I have little money to buy for myself, Let alone the 20 or 30% if I use a hard money lender, and my credit needs a little work." So I'm thinking just get the property under contract and wholesale it out and someone might make it a nice rental.
BUT! I'm also a designer/tattoo artist and driving home from one of my appointments, I had a epiphany! What if, just WHAT IF I can have the seller let me "control the property" possibly get the deed, and have him some how let me rehab the property (under contract of course) , and I can allow him to refi and the seller gets the equity out the house (as if he sold the house in the first place) and I still control the property and let it pay off the new loan (if he choses to transfer of the the LLC of the property of keep it under his name for credit building purposes , who knows *shrugs*) and I just collect the passive income for the rental. BOOM! A win win situation. The seller is A BIG winner in this case but getting a property with just the rehab cost is a win as a newcomer with no money. A surge of ambient energy flows though me is if I just won the lotto. And of course the real world comes knocking and reminds me of how much of a newbie I am. SO, that brings me here, to ask you wonderful knowledgeable guys. Could this possibly work? It seems like it's a lovechild from a BRRR and a subject to strategy. But is this legally possible?

Thanks of reading, and I hope this strategy can help....if it's possible.

0Reply
17 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Oconomowoc, WI · Member since 2016 · 996 posts · 431 votes
    8y

    My initial impression is you're just utilizing a form of owner financing.   I doubt you will get someone to give you the deed under this scenario though.   Usually deed and title are only transferred once the purchase price is paid off.  With the right (motivated) seller I don't see a reason why this won't work.  Just make your contracts tight and don't leave loopholes for them to leave you hanging. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.