Partnering with multifamily investor on existing property

Partnering with multifamily investor on existing property

Kuna, ID · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I have a friend with an existing multifamily property. I have a HELOC that I'd like to use for a first time deal. I'd like to structure a deal to be able to join with him in the existing property. The way I see it is that his benefit would be faster principal payoff to be able to leverage the property for future deals, no management responsibilities, and increased value because I could propose to bring more value to the property. My benefit would be a slice of the equity (a percentage of the increased value + my contribution), a percentage of the cash flow, and the experience of managing a property since this is my first deal and he could mentor me. What are your thoughts? How would you structure something like this? Should I wait until we find the next multifamily property and jump into that deal from the beginning instead of getting into an existing one? Thanks

0Reply
24 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 509 posts · 211 votes
    8y

    If I had a good deal 1oo %. Why would I want to bring another person in after the fact.

  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    @Lee Carter I think you should structure this based on who is bringing in what percent of the value. What is the value currently? What will the value be after you put in capital and work?
  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenixville, PA · Member since 2015 · 44 posts · 44 votes
    8y

    Does the existing building need an injection of capital to complete rehab, and thus boost NOI? If not, I'm not sure there would be enough justification from his perspective. If it's stabilized, more capital and chopping up equity will reduce cash-on-cash and ROE. Simply paying down principal without a refi is not going to change debt service, so cash flow is the same all else being equal. At first glance, the better opportunity is put the money in play in a new deal and chop up the equity accordingly.

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 791 posts · 479 votes
    7y

    @Lee Carter I am a little late to the party on your thread but would love to know what your ended up doing if you don't mind sharing

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.