Quadplex Investing Questions (Clarksville, TN)

Quadplex Investing Questions (Clarksville, TN)

Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 0 votes
I’m new to real estate investing with little experience, I just jumped in before I could talk my self out of it and currently have 1 single family in Biloxi, MS renting for $1350. My strategy moving forward is to invest in multi-family properties in the Biloxi, MS and Clarksville, TN area. I’m currently pre approved for $240k through the VA Loan. My question is how do I evaluate a multi unit to make sure I’m making a good investment? Also, I’m specifically looking for a four unit quadplex because to qualify for the VA Loan one of the units must me my primary residence, is there any difference when evaluating quads vs tri’s and duplexes? Lastly, since the VA Loan is 0% downpayment and I’m not paying anything out of pocket how would I calculate the ROI?
0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2017 · 91 posts · 147 votes
7y

Hey Eddie congratulations on diving head first into investing in real estate ! All great questions when it comes to 

investing in quads. I can only speak for the Clarksville market because its what I know. One main factor that effects rent is 

how close it is to the post. The closer to post the more rent rates go off BAH. Also value add can be pretty hard to do on 

Quads in the area. They are normally built around many other quads. Putting all new flooring in and such might not be 

the best option for your best ROI. I would look at buying washer and dryers for each unit you could raise rent at 50 a

door if the other quads around you don't have them available with rent. Know your competition and how you attract 

renters to what you have. As far as calculating your ROI goes, you could pay your VA funding fee up front and that would

lower your purchase price. There are less tri's and duplexes in this area but I think the key things making sure the 

numbers work for your investment! Let me know if you have any other questions! 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Biloxi, MS · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Eddie, there are a lot of nuances and variables to your questions. I’m actually a real estate agent that lives in Biloxi (Woolmarket). If you’d like to get together sometime and discuss this more in-depth, I’d be happy to help. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2017 · 91 posts · 147 votes
    7y

    Hey Eddie congratulations on diving head first into investing in real estate ! All great questions when it comes to 

    investing in quads. I can only speak for the Clarksville market because its what I know. One main factor that effects rent is 

    how close it is to the post. The closer to post the more rent rates go off BAH. Also value add can be pretty hard to do on 

    Quads in the area. They are normally built around many other quads. Putting all new flooring in and such might not be 

    the best option for your best ROI. I would look at buying washer and dryers for each unit you could raise rent at 50 a

    door if the other quads around you don't have them available with rent. Know your competition and how you attract 

    renters to what you have. As far as calculating your ROI goes, you could pay your VA funding fee up front and that would

    lower your purchase price. There are less tri's and duplexes in this area but I think the key things making sure the 

    numbers work for your investment! Let me know if you have any other questions! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Glen Rock, NJ · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Eddie Woodside Use BP rental calculator and account for multiple units when underwriting it. Also, in terms of deciding whether it is a good investment, location, market condition, demand and supply are equally important. 

    Last but not least, looks like @Greg Moore offered you a local expertise which is great. Network with other local investors as well. 

    Best! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.