Listing A Property - Do I use Pro Forma or Actual assumptions???

Listing A Property - Do I use Pro Forma or Actual assumptions???

Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 11 votes

Hi All, I purchased a 5 unit property in SW Michigan about a year ago. I bought the property from the bank for very cheap, but now that I've done renovations, raised rents, billed back utilities, and have the property filled out, the cashflow is great, and the property is worth materially more than when I bought it. My question is this... when i'm listing the property to sell (I want to sell this property, and buyer a larger one), do I use my current tax rate and insurance costs? OR do I use estimated pro forma insurance and tax costs on the potential sale price that will be materially higher than what I bought the property for? The difference in those two inputs in my expenses materially impacts the NOI, and therefore the amount I can justify listing the property for.

For example, if I bought the property for $80k, but now it's doing $28k in NOI, and I want to list it at a 10cap , the difference in tax and insurance between a $80k property and a $280k property is pretty material. If I plug in the higher tax and insurance rates based on a $280k value, it really eats into the NOI and cuts the value of the property by about $70k. 

How do I account for this when determining how much to list the building for? 

0Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 27 votes
7y

List the property based on 12 month forward NOI and don't readjust taxes or insurance. That's not your responsibility.

Not to sound like an unscrupulous jerk, but you're trying to sell this at the max value so you can 1031 into the next deal. 

Don't miss out on the chance to have someone overpay for your property because they're underwriting the deal assuming NOI is X when Y1 NOI will turn out to be .8X when it's all said and done.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Often firms market properties showing both actual and proforma numbers. They just need to be labeled. On most MLS systems, they want you to input actual. So in the comments, you can describe how one achieves pro-forma.

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    @Ken Martin That's the problem when you believe you know too much-Right? If you are using an agent let him/her come up with the numbers. If I were you I would use the current (lower) number and feel perfectly at ease. In fact you have no way of knowing the new taxes and insurance anyway since the final sales price is unknown. It may go higher than asking, at asking, or lower-nobody knows for sure.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    It’s the buyer’s responsibility to figure out what Their taxes and insurance might be.  As a buyer you can ignore the seller’s insurance as you don’t know what bare bones policy they may have and depending how tax assessments are done in that area it’s fairly easy to determine buyer’s taxes.

  • Specialist · New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 27 votes
    7y

    List the property based on 12 month forward NOI and don't readjust taxes or insurance. That's not your responsibility.

    Not to sound like an unscrupulous jerk, but you're trying to sell this at the max value so you can 1031 into the next deal. 

    Don't miss out on the chance to have someone overpay for your property because they're underwriting the deal assuming NOI is X when Y1 NOI will turn out to be .8X when it's all said and done.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I would be sure to list with a RE agent so you can get as much as possible. Find one that is familiar with MF 

  • Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I would market the property based on whatever is going to maximize your return.  It’s the buy’ers responsibility to do their own due diligence and confirm your numbers.  Obviously don’t be unscrupulous or unethical, but if your actual numbers make the property look more favorable on paper then use them.

  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 969 votes
    7y

    I would just provide the T-12 and current rent roll and let your r agent market the property however they like since that is their expertise.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 407 posts · 267 votes
    7y

    Hi @Ken Martin,

    Everyone's on point. Your broker will know more about where the market's at and will be able to massage a pro forma to suit market expectations.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.