Newbie here trying to house-hack his way into real estate investing. For background, my lease is up in July and I’d ideally like to have a property purchased and in my possession at that time. Does the timing seem doable?
I’m fully qualified for a mortgage and have a realtor that I’m working with, specifically in the Hudson County and Bergen County areas outside NYC.
I’ve been analyzing at least 15 deals a day, with cash flows consistently in the negatives. Usually within -$500 to -$1000.
Levers: 5% vacancy, 3% capital inv, 3% util, 3% leasing costs, 8% property management, and another 3% to account for PMI.
Purchase price is ideally within the range of $300-$400k.
I can’t figure out if I’m going about this in the wrong way so any advice would be much appreciated!!
Rental Property Investor · Saddle Brook, NJ · Member since 2017 · 82 posts · 36 votes
7y
@Shawn Mcenteer I agree with what you just said. I have come across several deals that require love and I work a full time job. But I am willing to put in the time/grunt work needed for a deal to work. I've got a bit saved and I will be looking for a property to move into before the summer starts. please let me know if you see anything out there.
Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
@Matthew Smocovich if you plan to self manage then forget 8% for now. Of the hundreds of MFR I have been in in the past 5 years, I was in 1 thats cash flowed without any work needed and could have PM and still make money. The rest were negative cashflow or needed some form of major work in order to be worth while. To be successful you likely will need to sacrifice some things other states take for granted, but long term you can create units that have low vacancy and lots of desirability due to our states large population and demand for rentals.
Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
7y
@Matthew Smocovich. Probably 2 main things. Your high amount of leverage and the high taxes in NJ. Try Re running your numbers with 25 percent down. Also your capex and maintenance is way to low