How many Units was your 1st Commercial Deal

How many Units was your 1st Commercial Deal

Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 106 posts · 47 votes

Hey BP!

So I listened to the 2 Grant Cardone episodes on the BP podcast (his first one is one of the best podcast episodes I’ve heard), and I’m completely sold. Now I’m looking to go from a 4 Units to a 20 Units.

Just wanted to ask you all, how many units was your first commercial property, and where was it located ?

Did you jump directly to commercial or did you play around in the residential space first ?

Also, I’m looking to put together a team (Property Managers, Brokers, Lenders etc...) in Philly, so please recommend if you have any suggestions.

0Reply
70 views

Most Popular Reply

OH · Member since 2014 · 454 posts · 227 votes
7y

@Ley Nezifort

First commercial deal was an apartment building package (50 units). Never even owned a rental home prior. Economy of scale is what attracted me to multi-family.

Now apartment buildings is my only long term holds and attraction....for now that is!

Walk before you run....ahhhh debatable. You have a brain, might as well strengthen it and apply your knowledge where your passion is!

Commercial deals provide much more momentum. Cash flow, forced appreciation and long term equity growth!

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    @Ley Nezifort I had singles and doubles for many years and closed on a 12 unit two years ago. All in one two story building. Best thing I have done, I still have the duplexes but won't buy any more. Smallest I would look at now is a six unit; and ideally another 12-20 unit but have not found one that makes sense. My wife is the PM.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2016 · 425 posts · 184 votes
    7y
    My first was a 4-unit, and then and 8-unit.  We are swinging 20+ next.  I listened to those podcasts, as well, and both are inspiring.  If you want to partner on something, lets do it.  
  • OH · Member since 2014 · 454 posts · 227 votes
    7y

    @Ley Nezifort

    First commercial deal was an apartment building package (50 units). Never even owned a rental home prior. Economy of scale is what attracted me to multi-family.

    Now apartment buildings is my only long term holds and attraction....for now that is!

    Walk before you run....ahhhh debatable. You have a brain, might as well strengthen it and apply your knowledge where your passion is!

    Commercial deals provide much more momentum. Cash flow, forced appreciation and long term equity growth!

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 106 posts · 47 votes
    7y

    @Bjorn Ahlblad That’s great , where is your 12 units located ? & which area are you looking to get the next one in ?

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 106 posts · 47 votes
    7y

    @Nik S. That’s amazing man! Would you mind going into a bit of details as in location , how you financed it , did you have to get a co-signer to meet the net worth requirements ? How did you fund the down payment ? Would love to hear your story to guide me through my first commercial property journey.

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 106 posts · 47 votes
    7y

    @Christopher B. Which area are you looking to buy in ?

  • OH · Member since 2014 · 454 posts · 227 votes
    7y
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ley Nezifort:

    @Bjorn Ahlblad That’s great , where is your 12 units located ? & which area are you looking to get the next one in ?

    West of Olympia Wa. Ideally the next one would be in the same area. Properties have risen in price faster than rents, and buyers are willing to pay based on all the MF hype. 

    I'm looking for a somewhat distressed property for sale by a LL who has beaten his/her head against the wall too often and just wants out. I'll make them a cash offer faster than they can get a ticket to Hawaii! 

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2016 · 425 posts · 184 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ley Nezifort:

    @Christopher B. Which area are you looking to buy in ?

    I'm most familiar with Ohio and Michigan, so it would probably be in those areas.  I'm open to other areas, but would need to learn more about them, like neighborhoods, schools, population growth, etc.

  • Evergreen Park, IL · Member since 2016 · 138 posts · 59 votes
    7y

    Our first was a 6 unit (all 2-1s)

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Ley Nezifort my first (and only) was an 8, purchased after owning and self-managing a few tris and quads first. It’s been a few years and honestly I’m on the fence about going bigger or sticking with 3-4 units moving forward. In my area I can afford smaller buildings in Class A areas, whereas anything over 5-8 I’m limited to C-/D areas. The result is that my smaller buildings have much less churn/turnover (basically zero vacancy), have appreciated a lot faster, and have been much easier/less expensive to manage. So even though the 8 unit has a higher cap rate, the actual overall return over time has been better on the tris and quads (actually my one triplex has been the best of all). If I were to go commercial again I would like to go bigger than 5-8, but I would need to partner. If I were to partner I might want to go true commercial as in shopping mall. I’m always looking for a good buy so I won’t discriminate based on size if a good deal of any size presents itself, but currently more actively looking for 3-4 units as those have been my bread and butter. I also like 30 yr. fixed rate mortgages compared to the inevitable balloon payment that comes with commercial. Maybe I need to listen to the podcast.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.