Can two individuals put two separate FHA loans towards a house?

Can two individuals put two separate FHA loans towards a house?

Easthampton, MA · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes

I am interested in going in on a property with another individual. We were brainstorming earlier and I had the thought, "Hey, I wonder if both he and I can get FHA loans for the same property?".

We both qualify for an FHA loan and would be living in the same unit on the property.

Ideally, we would split the ownership of the property 50/50 and if the above situation could work, we would each get FHA loans for half the price of the house.

I'm positive we can't do this for some reason, but I figured I'd ask just in case.

Thank you.

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y

No, @Zac Banas, you can't do this. Both lenders would want to be in 1st position. Why do you want to do this? What's the upside/problem you're trying to solve?

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    No, @Zac Banas, you can't do this. Both lenders would want to be in 1st position. Why do you want to do this? What's the upside/problem you're trying to solve?

  • Easthampton, MA · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Jaysen Medhurst We want to be able to afford a larger house and afford it sooner. Is this a bad idea?

  • Lender · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2018 · 703 posts · 446 votes
    6y

    You could go conforming loan with 3% down if your credit scores are high enough, income and employment history work out.

    Getting two loans is not an option because both lenders want to be in 1st position on the loan.

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Zac Banas, I can't say without knowing your financial situation, but probably a bad idea. FHA loans have limits. You can only go so "big" with one.

  • John CasmonPro Member
    Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    The FHA loan has a cap. Not sure of the size/cost of the house you're hoping to afford, but applying together is your best option or going with a jumbo loan or different loan product.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.