I just built a 36 unit apartment complex.

I just built a 36 unit apartment complex.

Financial Advisor · USA · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 379 votes

Hey guys my name is George Yu and I love passive real estate. The idea of investing into something and then collecting mailbox money whether you feel like working or not is like having your own golden chicken as long as you take care of it. I bought my first single family home in 2011 while I was a freshman in college for $32,000 move in ready from my uncle and it has been consistently rented out since for about $650/month. Fast forward till now, I have a total of 6 single family rental properties....and now a 36 unit apartment complex. Maybe your asking how did he go from single to constructing 36 units. Honestly it wasn't that easy or quick lol.

My last single family purchase was in 2017 so I had been roughly buying one property a year. While the income was great and I was making passively per year what an average American makes actively. I was searching for more. Enter: Grant Cardone. I love Grant and his high energy. He really had me sold on the "single door is death" mindset since late 2017 so around that time I made up my mind that no longer was I going to buy these "measly" single family home that afforded me my relaxed living up until that point. I was going to be a Multi Family Syndicator!! Well that would have been the case but none of the deals I could find excited me. I couldn't find anything over a true 6 cap (once I dug behind the brokers inflated numbers). I get the concept of more doors under one roof and management but I was collecting around 15-18% cash on cash from my single family. I didn’t expect 15% returns but I just thought that 6% was too low.

Now I am a salesman and I like to sell people what they want. My day to day work since 2012 was in product manufacturing and importing. I can speak fluent mandarin and everyone knows China is where everything is made. I started importing and selling anything that made a profit while in school. I didn't do too bad. I guess well enough to quit pharmacy school in mid application my senior year of undergraduate at University of Georgia. I was projected to make about 80k a year when finished with school and I was making over that working on my own. Didn't make sense to go into debt and another 3-4 years of school. Around 2015 I had began experimenting in developing my own product because everyone was selling on amazon by this time and margins were slim as a private label guy. I had to invent my own product to stay ahead. Well what to invent?? No idea. Not until I found myself in a cockpit of a 1969 Piper Cherokee 140 with my flight instructor coming down from a cross wind landing when I saw a windsock and had a bright idea. What if I could create a product that that inflated with just the wind and created a lounging device or even an air mattress? WindPouch was born. We a had a couple viral youtube videos one by Casey Neistat that really opened up a world of craziness for the next 16 months. We went from 0 in sales to a little over 4 million in revenue before being acquired in 2018 but not before getting a call to pitch on ABC's Shark Tank and landing a deal with Mark Cuban himself (the episode never aired unfortunately). That’s a crazy story for another time.

Back to being a salesman. I took a step back during that 2017-2018 time and figured if everyone is fighting over these 6 cap deals and buying them up before I could even get my hands on one then if I could build something better than a 6 cap with these low interest rates then i'm pretty sure I could just sell them back to the investors and do it again. Or rent it out for cashflow...or both. I didn't have a clue about new construction until I met my now partner Jeremiah. By random chance I was talking to a friend about my ambitions to build new product specifically for workforce/affordable tenants. I like staying in the NEED category rather than the WANT when it comes to living arrangements. There’s plenty of money building for WANT these days anyways. You see them coming up in every big city and Atlanta is no different. Literally we have 10+ high rises coming up at the same time while there is vacancy in the completed ones right next door! Bubble? I have no idea and wont to pretend I have an idea about how to time market cycles. What I do have an idea of is that there is a great NEED in affordable housing everywhere we look. My friend met a guy in his hometown that was an entrepreneur like us but decade older and had been building for about 15 years...and he was also building affordable housing. One phone call later I was in my car driving 4 hours away to meet him and see his products. I was hooked. Simple and yet much needed. He was focusing on the forgotten tenants. The ones that no one is building for. Most make minimum wage and are either divorced, widowed, elderly or post graduates just not wanting to move back in with mom and dad while looking for a job. Most product if you could find any in that price range were dilapidated. Often the poor insulation could cause the electricity to cost almost as much as the rent itself. We are building for them. I know what you are thinking. Section 8? Are they good tenants? Do they tear up your place? Here to report that so far so good. We build market rate so no government subsidies and we don't take section 8 vouchers. We just don't think the government's help is needed here at this time. Pure capitalism should drive this.

Jeremiah was just finishing up another one of his developments and he had located a piece of land where another potential development could go and he wanted help taking it on and then taking this long term and eventually nationwide. It was in that moment we agreed to partner up. From the beginning I was there on every phone call, email, variance/zoning/permitting meeting, numerous investor/bank meeting, contractor/subcontractor meeting, code enforcement and closely watching money from our million plus dollar loan account slowly being drawn out every week from contractors and subs. It wasn't a walk in the park by any means and we had our share of surprises. We got hit with substantial impact fees from the city, local cable/internet company screwed us over, few raining weeks slowed us down a little and of course a fair share of contractor issues. But overall it was a surreal experience to see the land transform from trees to completely built out with our first tenants moved in. We have set a goal for 2020 to build another 200 units spread over 4 cities in our home state of Georgia. We have empty lots selected in 3/4 of those cities. We have already had meetings with city officials, investors and land owners.

The point of this long post was to give people an idea of my journey as someone with little to no experience being able to take part in a multifamily development by believing you can, teaming up with right people, having a willingness to learn, and a healthy bit of luck. If I did this on my own it probably wouldn't have happened this quickly for sure. It's also a great feeling help create homes for people in need while making great passive income. We are so excited to be breaking ground on our next development in December. I would like to answer any questions about anything to help people who are interested in learning. There’s a lot that I didn't cover such as financials. I can say that we are above a 10% Cap Rate after refinancing our construction loan into a longer term loan and the demand is good enough that we have a waiting list.

Finally i’m taking all questions so please........ Ask away!

Here are some dropbox photos of our journey from Parcel to Passive income:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tyk44xnpc0mev8z/AACQSjHK1IskpaDnt4VHLxpMa?dl=0

124Reply
1,333 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y

@George Y. Congratualtions on your first Ground Up! It would be very helpful if you also share the financials with everyone. Land and development costs as well as rents.

See this reply in the discussion

278 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ricardo Kreyhsig:

    George.  Tnx for sharing, this inspired me.  What would your advice for someone who has a couple properties that wants to leap to multi-unit?

    Tnx - Ricardo

    Let me help George answer you. I have acquired over 1,000 apartment units and I also own quite a few houses.

    Since you already have multiple single family homes, the question is: how much equity do you have in them? If you substantial equity in them, you can do a 1031 exchange and then sell-exchange your houses for an apartment building. This is basically what one of my investors did. He has a house in California with over $500K in equity. That enabled him to buy a 20-unit apartment building which he now was able to refinance his money out and it still cashflows for him.

  • John FortesPro Member
    Multi-Family Syndicator · Abington, MA · Member since 2017 · 603 posts · 347 votes
    6y

    Congrats! Good work and thank you for sharing. Very inspiring. I'm noticing a ton of development opportunities around my hometown. What would be the one thing you would need to know before developing besides the demand? Or better yet, what would be the one thing to look out for while developing?

  • Contractor · GA · Member since 2016 · 268 posts · 54 votes
    6y

    NICE!!!

  • Financial Advisor · USA · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 379 votes
    6y

    @John Fortes thanks! well you want to know if the city is welcoming for the product that you are building. Also if the location is suitable for that. Its a combination of working the city officials as well as the land owner. 

  • Financial Advisor · USA · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 379 votes
    6y

    Theres tons of stuff to look out for while building! So many catch 22s in my experience. Best thing to do is to have someone more experienced to coach you though it or partner with you. Alot of mistakes were made on my parters side before they got it all down. Might sound like a lazt answer but its not. We arent talking about a fix and flip there is a ton more stuff that can go wrong from ground up. 

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    I'm TRYING TO BUILD 4 HOUSES (1400 SF EACH) IN LA AND MY BIDS ARE COMING AS 2 MIL!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @George Yu Congratulations 🎉

  • New to Real Estate · Allentown, PA · Member since 2019 · 62 posts · 19 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @George Y.:

    @Greg Dickerson Makes sense. I put some numbers together and present them later tonight when I get back to my laptop thank you

    I would be interested learning how your number works as well. I'm also a newbie to his world. Currently have 4 single houses and all rented out

  • Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @George Yu What kind of land price do you look for to build a 36 unit complex?

  • Rental Property Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2011 · 701 posts · 531 votes
    6y

    @George Y.

    Since you are looking for energy efficiency and more innovative building techniques/products, check-out the Tstud. It sounds like this product may meet a lot of your goals from thermal breaks to strength and sound barriers. It is a trussed stud that has closed cell spray foam on the interior. I haven't used it yet myself but it is an intriguing product. 

    I have no affiliation with the Tstud company. 

  • Financial Advisor · USA · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 379 votes
    6y

    @Christopher B. That looks interesting my man! Will look into it and thank for taking the time to reach out about it! Cheers!

  • Investor · 30518 · Member since 2014 · 48 posts · 31 votes
    6y

    @George Y.  Is the water and electricity metered separately for each unit? 

    Thanks

  • Investor · NY · Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 26 votes
    6y

    Thank you to everyone who posted here and a big thanks to @George Y.. This is why Bigger Pockets exists. 🙏
    I love the business model.

  • Financial Advisor · USA · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 379 votes
    6y

    @Bijal Patel for this development they are not separately metered. We negotiated that pre build

  • Financial Advisor · USA · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 379 votes
    6y

    @Nico Salgado thanks for the kind words! Hope you enjoyed the long read. 

  • Financial Advisor · USA · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 379 votes
    6y

    Hey guys here a quick update to where we are today. We have since stabilized our 36 units that we finished in October. All 36 units are filled and rents are accruing!! We have had about two people turn over but they were out within 10 days and we had a small waiting list so filled immediately after. Cant remember if I shared this or not but we were all in cost of about $1,500,000 and recently appraised for $1,900,000 by the banks. Now we are trying to work with banks to refi out at 80% at a good terms as well. Come to find out most want at least 90 days cashflow and balance sheet so we are just there as of 2/1. Besides a few small housekeeping things there have been no major problems with the product. I have been working extensively to build out our pipeline of projects so that at any time we have many different cities and lots to choose to build in. In the past year we sort of got screwed out of a city because 8 months into the process we realized the city didn't want to help at all for our $10,000,000 project (largest development in that town since the 08 crash). Public officials confuse me... anyone can help with this? So we ended up walking away and 8 months wasted with no back up plan. So started from scratch vowing never to have one project in the pipeline. Now we identified about 200 lots in 10 cities across GA and are under contract on two in different cities. One will be a 56 unit development and the other a 156 unit development. Both cities have shown great interest so far and have been 1000% more helpful than the bad one last year (cough*ROME*). We expect a 85% chance that both will get approved and that 100% at least one will be. There has already been a ton of work that has gone into getting us to this point that i can get into deeper in another post. I have been contemplating doing some sort of blog/Vlog series of the entire 14 month process from the REAL BEGINNING to the REAL END. Im talking showing how we found the city that we wanted to build in....all the way to the last video with tenants moving in and first rent deposit. Wondering if there would be enough demand on here for that. It's quite a bit of work for us to do the actual work, then write about it and maintain it with Q&As. I think it would give great value and i'm always up for the challenge. Ill talk to the other guys about it. Jeremiah and Justin are in their 40s and I had to teach them just to use some basic iphone features haha. On a serious note if this would be of value let me know. Leave a comment on this thread or send a DM. Side Story: Jeremiah and I went to Las Vegas for the builders Show this past January for one day and it was great. Got some really cool new ideas on how to build these things more cost effectively and going to experiment with some retroactively on the apartments that are already completed and also on the new ones. Also got to meet some really cool suppliers and builders as well as other industry experts. So we got what we needed and left....I also lost some money in the casino :( while Jeremiah came out ahead :) Guess as a company we evened out haha.

  • Magnolia , TX · Member since 2015 · 44 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    George can’t wait to follow your blog! I’m very impressed by your 36 unit project. Please tell us how your refinance goes. 

  • Investor · United States · Member since 2018 · 565 posts · 356 votes
    6y

    Way to go man. 

  • Financial Advisor · USA · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 379 votes
    6y

    @Ricky Bass Coming very soon! Working to put it all together now! Stay Tuned!

  • Investor · Matawan, NJ · Member since 2015 · 111 posts · 29 votes
    6y

    @George Y. Kudos to you! That's a nice success story. So the one you did is in small city in Georgia, if you don't mind asking, how much was the cost to build a 36 unit apartment complex in your area? Looking forward for your blog on how you decided to do this deal and how it all started, that will inspire new investors in the multifamily. Thanks for sharing!

  • Specialist · Plano, TX · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 861 votes
    6y

    @George Y. What an amazing story, thank you for sharing it with us and congratulations. 

  • Financial Advisor · USA · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 379 votes
    6y

    @Jefferson G. It was all in around 1.55 million. Thanks! 

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @George Y.:

    @Jefferson G. It was all in around 1.55 million. Thanks! 


     What's your unit break down sqft wise? How are things going 2 years later now?

  • Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 10 votes
    4y

    @George Yu

    Hey, what is price per unit for your deal ( all in, cost of land included)? How big are the units ($ price per square foot)?

    How much time it took to build it out?

  • Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 10 votes
    4y

    @George Yu

    And like you said 10% coc, but you didn't say how much you borrowed.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.