Dallas 4-plex analysis

Dallas 4-plex analysis

Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 308 posts · 59 votes

Hey guys,
I am looking at buying my first investment property. Here are the numbers:

Asking 160k, but I plan to offer much less
Units are 2/1’s, rent for $595 each
Built 1984
Tenants pay utilities

Income: $595 x 4 = $2380 / month or $28,560 / year
Expenses (per month):
Insurance: $166 (no idea really, just guessing)
Taxes: $238 per DCAD
Vacancy: $238 (10%)
Management: $238 (10%)
Misc repairs/Long term capital expenses: $300
^ I just took 50% gross rents and subtracted all other expenses

NOI: $1200/month = $14,400/year
So offering $144k would put me at a 10 cap.

Now the financing. I plan to live in one of the units and use FHA financing but first let's calculate with conventional 25% down.
At 144k PP, 25% down = $36,000
Loan of $108,000 at 3.5% interest = $485 monthly payment
Cash flow of $1200 – 485 = $715 or $178 / door
ROI: 24%

FHA 3.5% down = $5040
Loan of $138,960 at 3.5% = $624 monthly payment
NOI of $595 (since I will be occupying one unit) means cash flow of -$29/month, but I will have a place to live.
Also PMI will cut into my cash flow as well, so say -$200/month.

I also plan to self manage, so that should increase my cash flow and ROI as well.

Now a few things:

1. The property is in a not so good area of town. For those that know, it is in zipcode 75223 just south of I-30. However, I drove by during the day and at night, and it doesn’t seem too bad. If I get it under contract I will scount the area much more thoroughly. The property is surrounded on both sides by empty lots, and sits next to a 3-lane road. Across is an industrial complex
2. Per the listing agent, the property is in good shape including roof, HVAC, and foundation. He won’t let me in until I submit an offer and it is accepted (with inspection contingency of course). I have no idea what kind of immediate repairs are necessary. How should I factor this in to my offer price?
3. There are separate gas and electric meters but a master water meter. I mentioned earlier that tenants pay all utilities. Per the lease, the landlord pays water then divides by 4 (or however many units are occupied) and bills the tenants. This seems odd to me. Any thoughts?
4. The tax value of this property is 98k. I know tax value doesn't necessarily reflect market value, but this seems like a huge difference. I tried to pull comps but I get nothing. This worries me because what if the FHA appraisal comes in significantly less? I will just have to come out of pocket to cover the difference?

Sorry for the long post! Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

0Reply
162 views

Most Popular Reply

Commercial Real Estate Lender / Syndicator · Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 888 posts · 309 votes
13y

Bryce Y. In less than two minutes I discovered following: Sold 7/2009 for $100k, no seller PDs, 145 CDOM. Current CDOM 129. Per TXDPS, registered sex offenders in 2 of 4 units. 1 male, 1 female. Both had offenses against children, ages 9 and 11 respectively. 92 registered offenders within 1 mile.

See this reply in the discussion

53 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Newhall, CA · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @Tonya Weathers This deal did not work out for us at all. We ran as fast as we could! We live in CA and our real estate agent in Texas went to go see the property and it was basically a drug den with several people living in each bedroom. Tons of problems with the interior, convicted sex offenders, just a bad situation. With enough time and effort there was potential to make it work, but for our first investment property, we didn't want to take any chances and dig ourselves into a hole. 

    We actually continued our hunt for a multi-family for about a month afterwards and found our first deal on a duplex in Azle, TX. We have been cash flowing since about November 2016 and so far have seen returns of about 3 - 4% only because had a lot of plumbing issues early on that have since been sorted out. So far a great learning experience on managing not only the property but our property managers as well. 

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 43 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    Oh wow! It sounds like no one has had luck with that area. I think I'm with you. I'm not sure I would want to make that a first investment. Well thanks for sharing. I'm glad you were able to find something that worked out! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 18 votes
    8y
    @Andrew Ramler thanks for sharing your story! I'm a newbie with a goal of acquiring my first Fourplex soon here in Dallas. Been browsing a few a websites (Auction.com, zillow, etc), not seeing much inventory out there. Am I looking in the wrong places?

    Thanks
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.