Need clarity on cash on cash ratios

Need clarity on cash on cash ratios

Real Estate Broker · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 7 votes

A broker asked, "What are your cash on cash ratio requirements?" I'm not sure exactly what he means by this. Is this the same as IRR? Thanks for the clarity

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Dan Barentine:

@Todd Dexheimer Thank you for your quick response.  So what do you think the Broker is trying to find out by asking this question? In this scenario, I've just reached out to make a connection and get some deals flowing. We don't have a particular property in mind yet so I'm not sure how to calculate these ratios as it seems like I would need to underwrite the deal to see what the ratios would be on a deal by deal basis. Maybe I'm way off here.  

 The broker is either trying to narrow down the search or find out how experienced you are or both.

Cash on cash is the return you get on cash invested on an annualize basis. IRR is the total return on the investment over time which would include the cash-flow earned along the way plus the profit on the sale at the back end divided but the amount of time the cash was invested. This is over simplification but explains the general concept.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Cash flow vs the equity you put into the deal. So it is the ratio of annual cash flow to the total amount of cash invested (down payment, closing costs, broker fees, etc).

  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    If you invest 10k to purchase a property and that property generates $1k a year in profit then you have a 10% cash on cash return.  10% would be your ratio.

  • Real Estate Broker · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Todd Dexheimer Thank you for your quick response.  So what do you think the Broker is trying to find out by asking this question? In this scenario, I've just reached out to make a connection and get some deals flowing. We don't have a particular property in mind yet so I'm not sure how to calculate these ratios as it seems like I would need to underwrite the deal to see what the ratios would be on a deal by deal basis. Maybe I'm way off here.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Jacob Sampson Thank you for replying and using an example for me. What do you think a Broker is asking and why when he wants to know about my cash on cash ratio requirements? I've just made contact with this broker and we don't have any particular deals in underwriting. 

  • Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Dan Barentine:

    @Todd Dexheimer Thank you for your quick response.  So what do you think the Broker is trying to find out by asking this question? In this scenario, I've just reached out to make a connection and get some deals flowing. We don't have a particular property in mind yet so I'm not sure how to calculate these ratios as it seems like I would need to underwrite the deal to see what the ratios would be on a deal by deal basis. Maybe I'm way off here.  

     The broker is either trying to narrow down the search or find out how experienced you are or both.

    Cash on cash is the return you get on cash invested on an annualize basis. IRR is the total return on the investment over time which would include the cash-flow earned along the way plus the profit on the sale at the back end divided but the amount of time the cash was invested. This is over simplification but explains the general concept.

  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Greg Dickerson:
    Originally posted by @Dan Barentine:

    @Todd Dexheimer Thank you for your quick response.  So what do you think the Broker is trying to find out by asking this question? In this scenario, I've just reached out to make a connection and get some deals flowing. We don't have a particular property in mind yet so I'm not sure how to calculate these ratios as it seems like I would need to underwrite the deal to see what the ratios would be on a deal by deal basis. Maybe I'm way off here.  

     The broker is either trying to narrow down the search or find out how experienced you are or both.

    Cash on cash is the return you get on cash invested on an annualize basis. IRR is the total return on the investment over time which would include the cash-flow earned along the way plus the profit on the sale at the back end divided but the amount of time the cash was invested. This is over simplification but explains the general concept.

    I agree with Greg.  

  • Rick MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 411 posts · 477 votes
    6y

    @Dan Barentine it's a good question you ask, why a broker would ask this. Normally, a broker would ask what cap rate you are seeking, or better yet, they want to hear a strict criteria: # of units, purchase price, type of class. It is better to ask yourself what type of COC you are seeking, because the returns you seek should drive the deal. So maybe you will only offer on deals that yield a minimum of 8% COC, 15% IRR, and an equity multiple of 2x, for example.

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Dan Barentine, I agree with @Rick Martin.  For most brokers and investors, time is of the essence.  We have a lot going on and want to be respectful of that.  

    I would guess he is trying to get a gauge on the deals you want, and not pester you with deals that won't make sense for you. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Evan Polaski Thank you for your response. Yes, I can understand that completely just caught me off guard with that question.. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Rick Martin Thank you for your response. I was a little caught off guard with this question when asked so I need to understand the concept better before I reach out again. Thanks Again. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.