Leaving Your W2 Job to Pursue RE Full Time

Leaving Your W2 Job to Pursue RE Full Time

Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 10 votes

Hey Guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. This is defiantly going to vary from person to person, but when did you all feel it was the right time to pursue real estate investing full time, and leave your salaried job income behind? Just looking for some insight on how others have approached it. 

1Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Ronan DonnellyPro Member
Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2012 · 332 posts · 385 votes
6y

Hi @Account Closed, I recently left full time W2 employment to focus on real estate full time so with that for context, here are some thoughts to share:

1) Recognize that any issues that you might have with 9-5 employment are likely down to you. You will need to do some soul searching to understand how you can recognize what you need to focus on in order to succeed in your next role

2) You should plan to invest a lot of time up front on understanding your "Why?" and only when you understand this should you map it to a strategy that is in line with your unique skills and motivations

3) You will need discipline and an execution plan - being your own boss is great but you also need to figure out how to be your own best employee

4) Define a plan and set interim milestones - being an entrepreneur can be a lonely profession and success is not a straight line so plan for getting yourself some small wins and maintain a long term perspective to help get you past short term challenges.

5) Understand what constraints leaving full time employment will eliminate e.g. more time to focus on real estate, and what constraints it will introduce e.g. less income and ability to get credit

6) Understand that you will need a team to succeed so make sure that the people in your life on whom you depend on for support are fully behind you

Here is an article that I wrote that might be of additional help - https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/11782/88425-want-success-here-are-ten-things-you-must-give-up

Good luck, going on your own has got enormous upside potential but it is not pain free.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I haven't done it...yet, but my goal is to do it within 5 years.  To accomplish this I must first:

    1) Realize a yearly net income = 150% of my current take home W-2 pay.  This will help ensure we are covering the costs of any lost benefits, mainly health insurance.  

    2) Live for an entire year on just the rental income and bank the W-2 income.  Prove the concept is viable.

    3) Establish an emergency fund of 12 months.  This will happen via #2 banking the W-2 income.

    To that end, my action plan includes continuing in growth mode for the time-being. We are moving into commercial properties which will generate a larger $ amount of income, even if they do not generate quite as awesome of an ROI. For example, I normally buy houses that meet the 2% rule. The 2% Rule says monthly rent is minimum 2% the "all in" costs (purchase + closing + rehab + holding). Those little guys do well, cash-flowing $150 - $200 each. But it takes a ton of those to replace the income of an IT Software engineer sooo...

    We're getting into office/warehouse space and mini-storage. While those do not fit the 2% rule in our market, the overall yearly cash flow is around $10,000-$15,000 / yearly per property, and the amount of day-to-day management is considerably less intensive (I think). It won't take more than 5-6 of those added to our current portfolio of SFH's and plexes to do the trick.

    The other major thing we've done is paid off all personal debt.  Own everything free and clear: personal house, cars, etc.   Also, we do no live lavishly and take expensive vacations all the time.  We're pretty simple folks, but we do have a good time now and then, and I do enjoy my craft beer, bourbon, and the great outdoors.  

    Lower every day expenses = you can survive on less income without sacrificing life style, even if the rental market takes a down turn.

    I hope that helps.

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Greater Los Angeles Area · Member since 2015 · 399 posts · 261 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed For me, I realized it when my W2 performance was slacking because my focus was only on real estate.  I did not want to do my W2 a disservice and I was at the point where I needed even more time to pursue my passion for real estate.  I knew deep down that if I fully committed I could get to where I wanted to go much faster.  That and I had the full support of my wife!

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    BP resources typically suggest you work backwards. How much cash flow would you need each month (after reserves) to feel comfortable? How many units to you need to reach that monthly cash flow?

  • Specialist · Plano, TX · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 861 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed, I would recommend working out a plan before pursuing real estate investing full time. Know which market you want to dive into, how much time you are willing to invest in your switch while you are at your salaried job, etc. Good luck on your journey. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 884 posts · 670 votes
    6y

    I plan to keep my W2 job. Its like having a pair of golden handcuffs. I'm just hoping to make 20 years so that I can draw retirement and medical benefits. 

  • Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Hey Guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. This is defiantly going to vary from person to person, but when did you all feel it was the right time to pursue real estate investing full time, and leave your salaried job income behind? Just looking for some insight on how others have approached it. 

    This all depends on your knowledge of the business, level of experince, income requirements, financial resources and your tolerance for risk. I stepped out in 1997 at the age of 29 when my kids were 2 and 4 and have never looked back. For me it was natural as I was born an entrepreneur. I did work a lot of jobs prior and educated myself. Best decision I ever made.

  • Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    Thanks everyone for the advice! My fiancé and I both have W2 jobs and are moving into a recently acquired single family, from our owner occupied triplex. I was just presented an opportunity to acquire some larger scale multifamily with the cash out refinance money we have on hand from the triplex. Chicagoland area. A lot to think about in terms of future goals to transition full time. Thanks again, all. I would not be where I am at today without BP forums and podcasts. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Forest Park, IL · Member since 2014 · 255 posts · 141 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed - If you're savvy, there are some mighty affordable cash cows in the Chicago market! For being the 3rd largest MSA, real estate prices are relatively moderate. If played correctly, every unit is one step closer to being able to walk away from that W2 job. If you project being able to replace your current income within the next year, maybe it's time to jump ship?

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 79 posts · 62 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed, I've finally decided to leave my W2 job! I will be putting in my notice this Friday. Let me tell you my story:

    • I started investing in real estate in August 2017. My wife and I found our first owner occupy. At the time we were both w2 employees individually making 6 figure salaries. I want it to be clear we had built substantial savings and were financially secure from the beginning.
    • In September 2017, we helped create and now run a successful Multifamily Meetup Club. Through this, we have grown our network exponentially. We've met mentors, partners, clients, lenders and have built a substantial team.
    • I obtained my broker's license in 2018 and passively have sold about $2.5m in real estate.
    • In 2019 I started a construction company. I incorporated in June 2019 and have grown exponentially.
      • Between these two additional streams of revenue, I've made an income equal to an additional w2 job.
    • We've acquired 12 units, solidified lines of credit, built relationships with lenders and are 100% certain if I leave my w2 it will not hinder our ability to acquire more properties (any more than running out of capital will)

    My construction business is now taking my full attention away from my 9-5 job. I work remotely as a Sales Rep for Enterprise clients. I've decided to leave the W2 because I feel I am established in the industry and have enough momentum to push my real estate career further. Another KEY fact: My wife and I invest together! She is on the same page, sees my work ethic, and we have made the choice TOGETHER. She is also retaining her 9-5 as a stable stream of income.

    My tips:

      1. Have an exit strategy with a strong plan. 
      2. Build the relationships you need to be successful
      3. Make sure leaving the 9-5 doesn't inhibit your ability to acquire properties
      4. MAKE SURE REAL ESTATE IS YOUR TRUE PASSION

      I understand I may have missed a lot here. The story sounds much easier than its been building to this point. 

      Thank you for listening to my story.

    1. Ronan DonnellyPro Member
      Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2012 · 332 posts · 385 votes
      6y

      Hi @Account Closed, I recently left full time W2 employment to focus on real estate full time so with that for context, here are some thoughts to share:

      1) Recognize that any issues that you might have with 9-5 employment are likely down to you. You will need to do some soul searching to understand how you can recognize what you need to focus on in order to succeed in your next role

      2) You should plan to invest a lot of time up front on understanding your "Why?" and only when you understand this should you map it to a strategy that is in line with your unique skills and motivations

      3) You will need discipline and an execution plan - being your own boss is great but you also need to figure out how to be your own best employee

      4) Define a plan and set interim milestones - being an entrepreneur can be a lonely profession and success is not a straight line so plan for getting yourself some small wins and maintain a long term perspective to help get you past short term challenges.

      5) Understand what constraints leaving full time employment will eliminate e.g. more time to focus on real estate, and what constraints it will introduce e.g. less income and ability to get credit

      6) Understand that you will need a team to succeed so make sure that the people in your life on whom you depend on for support are fully behind you

      Here is an article that I wrote that might be of additional help - https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/11782/88425-want-success-here-are-ten-things-you-must-give-up

      Good luck, going on your own has got enormous upside potential but it is not pain free.

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.